KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Genres » Horror Movies » Should zombies run?

Should zombies run?
Started by: Impediment

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Impediment
Endless

Should zombies run?

I will wholehearedly admit that I liked the 2004 remake of Dawn of the Dead a lot, because of the gore, the violence and the whole suspense of the film because of the monsters running after you. However I was and still am a little bit skeptical as to the plausibility of RUNNING zombies. It just seems a liitle too awkward for reanimated dead bodies to stand up, come back to life, and then run after you like Jesus Christ. All of the original zombie flicks by George Romero and others portrayed the undead as slow, wobbling, drooling monsters (as they should be), and no running whatsoever. Am I wrong for liking the new 2004 remake because I like the added suspense of zombies running after their dinner? I still rank the original zombie flicks as reigning supreme, though. Always and forever!

“Dreams shape the world."

Last edited by Impediment on Dec 3rd, 2009 at 10:41 PM

Old Post Jun 29th, 2005 06:47 PM
Impediment is currently offline Click here to Send Impediment a Private Message Find more posts by Impediment Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Cory Chaos
AmStar 14 Manager

Nah, I like them both ways, myself. It's a necessary evil, just an evolution of the genre that's inevitable.

Old Post Jun 29th, 2005 07:12 PM
Cory Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Cory Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Cory Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
A Hero's Fate
The Legend Ends

yes ser

Old Post Jun 29th, 2005 07:20 PM
A Hero's Fate is currently offline Click here to Send A Hero's Fate a Private Message Find more posts by A Hero's Fate Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Impediment
Endless

You dont' think it takes away from the "classic zombie feel"?

Old Post Jun 29th, 2005 08:41 PM
Impediment is currently offline Click here to Send Impediment a Private Message Find more posts by Impediment Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Cory Chaos
AmStar 14 Manager

"Classic" is referred to as such because of its age. What worked then doesn't necessarily work now.

Old Post Jun 29th, 2005 08:43 PM
Cory Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Cory Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Cory Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MildPossession
Restricted

Account Restricted

I don't mind the running zombies at all.

Old Post Jun 29th, 2005 08:44 PM
MildPossession is currently offline Click here to Send MildPossession a Private Message Find more posts by MildPossession Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

No, they shouldn't. It takes away one of the greatest qualities of the zombies, something that is seemingly harmless suddenly becoming a massive threat, despite the fact that they can barely move. There's just something far more creepy and genuine about stumbling zombies.

Not only that, but it would be impossible for zombies to run, seeing as they're muscles would be suffereing from rigamortis.

Running zombies only worked in Return of the Living Dead, because it was meant to be a silly movie.

Old Post Jun 29th, 2005 08:51 PM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Deano

i think its ok for them to run..as long as it is not a sprint
i prefer the slow zombies though

"How about this? Shut your mouth...Or I'll kick your teeth down your throat and shut it for you."

Old Post Jun 29th, 2005 08:56 PM
Deano is currently offline Click here to Send Deano a Private Message Find more posts by Deano Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Impediment
Endless

Backfire has a point that there is something "far more creepy and genuine" about the "classic" zombie stride, with rigor mortis and all. I had totally forgot about the "Return of the Living Dead" series, and how it was meant to be silly (I love you so much, Sarah! Now let me eat your brain!!!) and non-traditional. I admit it is cool to see this new type of zombie on screen, but I think the traditional is far more effective.

Last edited by Impediment on Jun 29th, 2005 at 09:14 PM

Old Post Jun 29th, 2005 09:09 PM
Spartan005

I like them either way, but I think the slow moving zombies are cooler

Thanks Vinny!

Old Post Jun 29th, 2005 10:41 PM
Spartan005 is currently offline Click here to Send Spartan005 a Private Message Find more posts by Spartan005 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Impediment
Endless

The only thing I never understood about the zombies, walking or running, is why they don't attack each other.

Last edited by Impediment on Jun 29th, 2005 at 11:32 PM

Old Post Jun 29th, 2005 11:30 PM
BaronOBeefDip
Fedora wearin' psychopath

No. I like the slow-moving zombies. They're more fun.

Old Post Jun 29th, 2005 11:47 PM
BaronOBeefDip is currently offline Click here to Send BaronOBeefDip a Private Message Find more posts by BaronOBeefDip Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Deano

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Impediment
The only thing I never understood about the zombies, walking or running, is why they don't attack each other.

they attack on the warm blooded!!

"How about this? Shut your mouth...Or I'll kick your teeth down your throat and shut it for you."

Old Post Jun 29th, 2005 11:47 PM
Deano is currently offline Click here to Send Deano a Private Message Find more posts by Deano Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Cowboyography
Eye Of God

True Zombies should be slowed by rigamortis, I agree. However in the case of a movie such as 28 days later where the creatures are for a virus inflicted human, running is exeptable.

Old Post Jun 30th, 2005 01:09 AM
Cowboyography is currently offline Click here to Send Cowboyography a Private Message Find more posts by Cowboyography Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
beta-wolf_101
Master of the Nothingness

I guess it depends on how they came back but I like the running thing it adds to the suspence as you say

As I was going up the stairs I met a man who wasn't there He wasn't there again today I wish I wish he'd go away

Old Post Jun 30th, 2005 07:31 AM
beta-wolf_101 is currently offline Click here to Send beta-wolf_101 a Private Message Find more posts by beta-wolf_101 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dr. Leg Kick
Aesculapius

i dont like the zombies running...doesn't feel the same as the older films.

Life is short and the art long, the occasion instant, experiment perilous, decision difficult.

Old Post Jul 1st, 2005 06:17 AM
Dr. Leg Kick is currently offline Click here to Send Dr. Leg Kick a Private Message Find more posts by Dr. Leg Kick Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jinzin

i don't mind the running zombies either but here's a few things:

zombies shouldn't be able to run due to rigamortis...
"real" zombies are people brought back to wander the earth by means of walking....
walking makes zombies appear far more creepy...
fast moving zombies aren't fair..they run like olympian sprinters and don't get tired....sad

Old Post Jul 1st, 2005 09:12 AM
jinzin is currently offline Click here to Send jinzin a Private Message Find more posts by jinzin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
K.Diddy
DiddyWood Style

They should run,it would be more scary

Old Post Jul 1st, 2005 09:14 AM
K.Diddy is currently offline Click here to Send K.Diddy a Private Message Find more posts by K.Diddy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jinzin

i don't think it's more scary......slower zombies are definitely more creepy in that sense...but running zombies are much more immediately threatening...

Old Post Jul 1st, 2005 10:51 PM
jinzin is currently offline Click here to Send jinzin a Private Message Find more posts by jinzin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

Hmmm...zombies coming out of the grave should not run it ruins the concept of the film. Humans that get bitten by a zombie seems okay. But I don't expected them to be able to run a marathon or be capable of Athletic feats. It makes sense that infected zombies maybe more agile and faster than dead zombies coming out of the ground. And just like humans, zombies come in different sizes...big, tall, short, and also stupid. So you might expect certain similar traits between humans and zombies.

Old Post Jul 1st, 2005 11:38 PM
WanderingDroid is currently offline Click here to Send WanderingDroid a Private Message Find more posts by WanderingDroid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote