KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Genres » Horror Movies » Females as lead roles in horror movies?

Females as lead roles in horror movies?
Started by: deathbycorn

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
deathbycorn
Restricted

Account Restricted

Females as lead roles in horror movies?

What do you think about females as lead roles in horror movies?

Doomsday bring up a good point in a previous thread.

I have noticed it lately in movies like The Descent, Underworld, Bloodrayne,
Saw II, Wolf Creek, Venom etc

I couldn't really give a crap as long as they are showing good acting.

Old Post Apr 24th, 2006 01:53 AM
deathbycorn is currently offline Click here to Send deathbycorn a Private Message Find more posts by deathbycorn Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Wolfie
Keep on howling!

I guess females make better victims. People criticized ANOES 2 because it was starring a guy.

Old Post Apr 24th, 2006 02:13 AM
Wolfie is currently offline Click here to Send Wolfie a Private Message Find more posts by Wolfie Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
doomsday49
Restricted

Account Restricted

Re: Females as lead roles in horror movies?

quote: (post)
Originally posted by deathbycorn
What do you think about females as lead roles in horror movies?

I couldn't really give a crap as long as they are showing good acting.

^^^^agree

Old Post Apr 24th, 2006 04:42 AM
doomsday49 is currently offline Click here to Send doomsday49 a Private Message Find more posts by doomsday49 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tired-Hiker
El Bastardo

Yeah, females are good lead roles for horror films, probably because mostly guys go to see horror films, and guys usually want to see hot chicks. Plus, chicks can scream better than guys, they are more vulnerable than guys, and they tend to have nicer breasts and asses than guys.

Old Post Apr 24th, 2006 11:45 AM
Tired-Hiker is currently offline Click here to Send Tired-Hiker a Private Message Find more posts by Tired-Hiker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Cory Chaos
AmStar 14 Manager

"Haute Tension", oh yes. Even Ashley Lawrence in "Hellraiser".

Old Post Apr 24th, 2006 03:43 PM
Cory Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Cory Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Cory Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SaTsuJiN
Wielder of Thunder Seal

I think females do a better job because you dont expect them to defend themselves well against a very strong villain

whereas if you see some butch bald dude as the main character you know its gonna take a few good ones to put him out

My MySpace SaTsu's Sketchbook My Deviant Art

Old Post Apr 24th, 2006 04:27 PM
SaTsuJiN is currently offline Click here to Send SaTsuJiN a Private Message Find more posts by SaTsuJiN Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
T.M
Welcome to The Suck

Originally posted by Tired Hiker
...and they tend to have nicer breasts and asses than guys.

speak for yourself.. stick out tongue

I agree with you though female do make better victims.. I mean if I went to go to see a horror movie like... Scream for example and there are just loads of guys getting killed... I don't think I would have enjoyed it as much. It is just better IMO to see female's defending themselves and getting the better of killers/vampires/werewolves or whatever else.

Old Post Apr 24th, 2006 04:41 PM
T.M is currently offline Click here to Send T.M a Private Message Find more posts by T.M Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MildPossession
Restricted

Account Restricted

Lately?

anyway,

There is a fantastic book if you want to go more into it called Men, Women and Chainsaws: Gender in the Modern Horror Film by Carol Clover.

Old Post Apr 24th, 2006 05:08 PM
MildPossession is currently offline Click here to Send MildPossession a Private Message Find more posts by MildPossession Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Selphie
you teasing like you do

I thought Nancy was a pretty kickass girl in ANOES

riding high on love's true bluish light

Old Post Apr 26th, 2006 03:50 AM
Selphie is currently offline Click here to Send Selphie a Private Message Find more posts by Selphie Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Comicbook_kid
Crom's champion

One thing I've noticed about ALL of the Friday the 13th movies, is that they all have a female survivor in every single one of them...sometimes it's a female w/ a male, but ALWAYS a female...never just a male by himself. Also, in my opinion of who's the greatest female lead role in a horror movie....well, I guess it would have to be a tie between Alice from Nightmare on Elm Street 4 & 5 and Kirsty from Hellraiser 1, 2, and Hellraiser : Hellseeker...they both kicked ass (more than once) and survived to tell about it!!!!! Also, a third choice would be Ripley from the Alien films, but they're more Sci-Fi than horror...

Conan, what is best in life? To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and sigs by Beta Ray Howard.

Old Post Apr 26th, 2006 09:15 PM
Comicbook_kid is currently offline Click here to Send Comicbook_kid a Private Message Find more posts by Comicbook_kid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MildPossession
Restricted

Account Restricted

Final girls.

Old Post Apr 26th, 2006 10:23 PM
MildPossession is currently offline Click here to Send MildPossession a Private Message Find more posts by MildPossession Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Myers Kicks Ass

kirsty sucked i wanted julia to kill her cus she really cant act. Jamie lee curtis heather langenkamp and Marilyn Burns are my favourites

Old Post Jul 22nd, 2006 04:36 PM
Myers Kicks Ass is currently offline Click here to Send Myers Kicks Ass a Private Message Find more posts by Myers Kicks Ass Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NormaBates
Sometimes death is better

Females are supposed to be more helpless, so the audience would feel
more for 'the girl that's been stalked'.

I thought Jessica Biel did a convincing job in the TCM remake.

Old Post Jul 22nd, 2006 05:52 PM
NormaBates is currently offline Click here to Send NormaBates a Private Message Find more posts by NormaBates Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
allofyousuckkk
Amazingly Awesome

i like all movies with a lead female character..........action, horror, sci fi, I just think its more interesting.........hmmm

Old Post Jul 22nd, 2006 06:08 PM
allofyousuckkk is currently offline Click here to Send allofyousuckkk a Private Message Find more posts by allofyousuckkk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Espantada23
Sexual Entity

I think women in lead roles are always a good thing...they usually tend to be the victim at first and then become the heroine of the flick....but I like it when a female gets to be the villain....it's a refreshing change from the usual....Evil chicks rock.....they need to make more horror flicks with females as the villain.

Old Post Jul 24th, 2006 07:05 AM
Espantada23 is currently offline Click here to Send Espantada23 a Private Message Find more posts by Espantada23 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tabby999
Music Idiot apparently

me and my old media teacher discussed this. back when "horror" got into the mainstream of movies there was generally a female victim that is venerable and scared who has a man (and what a man!) show up and kick some bad guy ass and save the day. Psycho is a good example. but after a while women began their "empowerment" trip so we slowly got more female heroines, not only did it break up the monotony of the man saving the day everytime but as Tired Hiker said, gave the mainly male audience of the horror movies, some eye candy.

I am aware that "your" should be "you're," and while I know I should change it as not to offend the grammar fans around the boards, school always said not to bow to peer pressure so it stays as it is

Old Post Jul 24th, 2006 12:53 PM
tabby999 is currently offline Click here to Send tabby999 a Private Message Find more posts by tabby999 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Myers Kicks Ass

Originally posted by Wolfie
I guess females make better victims. People criticized ANOES 2 because it was starring a guy.

people criticized noes 2 cus the lead acted gay

Old Post Jul 30th, 2006 06:39 PM
Myers Kicks Ass is currently offline Click here to Send Myers Kicks Ass a Private Message Find more posts by Myers Kicks Ass Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Selphie
you teasing like you do

TCM and ANOES totally prove chicks rock in horror films.

riding high on love's true bluish light

Old Post Jul 31st, 2006 11:48 PM
Selphie is currently offline Click here to Send Selphie a Private Message Find more posts by Selphie Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tabby999
Music Idiot apparently

when they're not either

a/. getting chopped up

or

b/. runing around topless wink

I am aware that "your" should be "you're," and while I know I should change it as not to offend the grammar fans around the boards, school always said not to bow to peer pressure so it stays as it is

Old Post Jul 31st, 2006 11:51 PM
tabby999 is currently offline Click here to Send tabby999 a Private Message Find more posts by tabby999 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote