KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Genres » Horror Movies » What's the definition of a horror movie?

What's the definition of a horror movie?
Started by: killermovies1

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
killermovies1

What's the definition of a horror movie?

Is a horror movie about:

1. Something supernatural, like ghosts or vampires.

2. Graphic violence ie. Saw, Hostel.

3. Something that scares you, doesn't need to be either of the above? What movies would fall under this category?

What's your definition of a horror movie?

Old Post Dec 1st, 2007 04:08 AM
killermovies1 is currently offline Click here to Send killermovies1 a Private Message Find more posts by killermovies1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Neo Darkhalen
Mission zero

Re: What's the definition of a horror movie?

quote: (post)
Originally posted by killermovies1
Is a horror movie about :

1. Something supernatural, like ghosts or vampires.

2. Graphic violence ie. Saw, Hostel.

3. Something that scares you, doesn't need to be either of the above? What movies would fall under this category?

What's your definition of a horror movie?

Halloween has hardly any Graphic Violence, It's much scarier if you never show it, and leave it up to your audiences imagination, it also needs to use Camera and Camera angles well, to never keep you at ease, a simple vase could become very sinister if done correctly, mix the foregrounds, and backgrounds together, to create a twisted world, something that does not seem quite right, but also Is totally innocent, keep the audience guessing, in a film they want to learn what is going on, so you should reveal things in small amounts, lastly incorporate music within a film, music can be allot more scarier then the actual film, and can make people jump if done correctly.

here are a few examples of films that do these things above, correctly.

Psycho (Original)
Halloween (Original)
Night of the Living dead/Dawn of the dead (Original)
Scream

It does not have to be supernatural to create a good movie, 3 of those films above only have humans as the killers, that is more apt for a horror, since people are real and there are people in the world that kill, it is closer to home then Zombies/Vampires, although they can still be just as terrifying.

Last edited by Neo Darkhalen on Dec 1st, 2007 at 12:06 PM

Old Post Dec 1st, 2007 12:01 PM
Neo Darkhalen is currently offline Click here to Send Neo Darkhalen a Private Message Find more posts by Neo Darkhalen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

For me, it's a film that invokes very very negative emotions -- Be it fear, disgust, or even anger or sadness.

Old Post Dec 5th, 2007 01:03 AM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Discos
The Discmeister

^^ very awesome answer dude.

I usually like to get my heart racing, alot of Fear as well.

I tend not to watch Horror movies with other people as I am a pain in the arse....I always shout at the screen with sensible remarks ie "shit no I wouldnt open that dungeon door if I was you"

"In the year of our Lord 1314, patriots of Scotland, starving and outnumbered, charged the fields at Bannockburn. They fought like warrior poets. They fought like Scotsmen. And won their freedom."

Old Post Dec 5th, 2007 06:47 PM
Discos is currently offline Click here to Send Discos a Private Message Find more posts by Discos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

For me the definition of a horror movie is a dark fantasy (key word here is "fantasy")

It is intended to be cruel, thoughful, and in some cases romanticism.

Old Post Dec 5th, 2007 11:07 PM
WanderingDroid is currently offline Click here to Send WanderingDroid a Private Message Find more posts by WanderingDroid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jinXed by JaNx

bad acting, terrible but humorous writing and lots of gore

Old Post Dec 6th, 2007 03:44 AM
jinXed by JaNx is currently offline Click here to Send jinXed by JaNx a Private Message Find more posts by jinXed by JaNx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Discos
The Discmeister

Originally posted by ragesRemorse
bad acting, terrible but humorous writing and lots of gore

haha spot on dude, that what makes cheesy horror movies so great.

I have yet to find a horror movie which has matched the first time I saw the original Chainsaw Massacre, the chase scene through the woods just made me feel like I was being chased. I wasnt scared but just nervous and felt for the lass

"In the year of our Lord 1314, patriots of Scotland, starving and outnumbered, charged the fields at Bannockburn. They fought like warrior poets. They fought like Scotsmen. And won their freedom."

Old Post Dec 6th, 2007 07:45 PM
Discos is currently offline Click here to Send Discos a Private Message Find more posts by Discos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Neo Darkhalen
Mission zero

Re: Re: What's the definition of a horror movie?

Originally posted by Neo Darkhalen
Halloween has hardly any Graphic Violence, It's much scarier if you never show it, and leave it up to your audiences imagination, it also needs to use Camera and Camera angles well, to never keep you at ease, a simple vase could become very sinister if done correctly, mix the foregrounds, and backgrounds together, to create a twisted world, something that does not seem quite right, but also Is totally innocent, keep the audience guessing, in a film they want to learn what is going on, so you should reveal things in small amounts, lastly incorporate music within a film, music can be allot more scarier then the actual film, and can make people jump if done correctly.

here are a few examples of films that do these things above, correctly.

Psycho (Original)
Halloween (Original)
Night of the Living dead/Dawn of the dead (Original)
Scream

It does not have to be supernatural to create a good movie, 3 of those films above only have humans as the killers, that is more apt for a horror, since people are real and there are people in the world that kill, it is closer to home then Zombies/Vampires, although they can still be just as terrifying.

Old Post Dec 6th, 2007 07:57 PM
Neo Darkhalen is currently offline Click here to Send Neo Darkhalen a Private Message Find more posts by Neo Darkhalen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
superr

Films about true crimes can be truely horrible and horrific
eg RICHARD ATTENBOROUGH as london murderer, john christie in
10 RILLINGTON PLACE

Old Post Jan 7th, 2008 07:15 PM
superr is currently offline Click here to Send superr a Private Message Find more posts by superr Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dead Warrior

to place down the usual

a horror is mostly at its best when you have no idea what's happening eccept for the fact that it's happening and it's terrible.

Old Post Jan 16th, 2008 08:40 PM
Dead Warrior is currently offline Click here to Send Dead Warrior a Private Message Find more posts by Dead Warrior Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cEejay_01

see this... <a href="
Creepy Movies

Old Post Jan 17th, 2008 08:37 PM
cEejay_01 is currently offline Click here to Send cEejay_01 a Private Message Find more posts by cEejay_01 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rajendra
just hanging around

number one is the perfect definition of horror movies for me just liker the movie " Polergeist and Exorcist".

Old Post Jan 21st, 2008 04:24 PM
Rajendra is currently offline Click here to Send Rajendra a Private Message Find more posts by Rajendra Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote