KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Genres » Horror Movies » How has terrorism Affected Horror Films?

How has terrorism Affected Horror Films?
Started by: darkriddle

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
darkriddle

How has terrorism Affected Horror Films?

Do you think that the horror films in post-nine-eleven days has had an influence from terrorism?

Many feel that terrorism has brought the "Apocalytpic Fear" a bit closer to us. Is this shown in symbolic ways in horror films today?

Old Post Nov 4th, 2011 05:30 PM
darkriddle is currently offline Click here to Send darkriddle a Private Message Find more posts by darkriddle Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

Well it's no coincidence that American mainstream horror films are much darker and much much more violent than they've been in a long time. It's an indirect result of, maybe not terrorism, but the tone of the world since 9/11 has happened.

Old Post Nov 9th, 2011 09:09 AM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Esau Cairn
Contagious

I can't say American mainstream horror has become darker because of 9/11...if anything it's been nothing but remakes & prequel/sequels for the past 10 years.

As for being more violent, slasher films have been passing themselves off as horror (replacing suspense) for a long time now.
B-grade horror is nothing but senseless killing.

Maybe the number of zombie films since 9/11 have an underlining theme of bio chemicals wiping out humans in a grand scale & surviving to fight back.

I think if you're trying to put a connection between a 9/11 undertone to movies, then it would be more reminiscent to several sci fi flicks like Battle Los Angeles, Skyline & SourceCode.

Old Post Nov 10th, 2011 05:33 AM
Esau Cairn is currently offline Click here to Send Esau Cairn a Private Message Find more posts by Esau Cairn Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
darkriddle

Well, yeah, I agree with you. I think horror or scifi with a more apocalyptic edge is more in tune with the 9/11 influence.

Though I can think of a line from Dennis Hopper in Land of the Dead where he says; "I don't negotiate with terrorists."

In the film The Mist, the scene where the opaque white mist shrouds the supermarket, while people run for their lives is also reminiscent of the powered clouds that draped New York, though I don't know if this was intentional.

Old Post Nov 10th, 2011 07:58 AM
darkriddle is currently offline Click here to Send darkriddle a Private Message Find more posts by darkriddle Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Esau Cairn
Contagious

quote: (post)
Originally posted by darkriddle
Well, yeah, I agree with you. I think horror or scifi with a more apocalyptic edge is more in tune with the 9/11 influence.

Though I can think of a line from Dennis Hopper in Land of the Dead where he says; "I don't negotiate with terrorists."

That's a cliched quote that was also used in the 1st Die Hard & Harrison Ford as the president in AirForce One...pre 9/11.

The thing is, I don't mean to sound cold or insensitive but I'm not American nor do I live in America so, "the tone of the world since 9/11" (BackFire's quote) has very little reasoning or context to everyday life & views since 9/11.

Old Post Nov 11th, 2011 01:19 AM
Esau Cairn is currently offline Click here to Send Esau Cairn a Private Message Find more posts by Esau Cairn Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tzeentch
#gottem

Communist.

"The Daemon lied with every breath. It could not help itself but to deceive and dismay, to riddle and ruin. The more we conversed, the closer I drew to one singularly ineluctable fact: I would gain no wisdom here."

Old Post Nov 12th, 2011 07:40 AM
Tzeentch is currently offline Click here to Send Tzeentch a Private Message Find more posts by Tzeentch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Esau Cairn
Contagious

evil face whistle

Old Post Nov 12th, 2011 08:29 AM
Esau Cairn
Contagious

For the record...That second smiley is supposed to be whistling innocently...not hinting at wanting to give you a bj.

Old Post Nov 12th, 2011 08:31 AM