KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Music Discussion » hip hop, i still love h.e.r.

hip hop, i still love h.e.r.
Started by: madsci

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
madsci
beats beats beats

hip hop, i still love h.e.r.

i have grown weary of rap fans arguing with hip hop fans, defending a style that is slowly devaluating the culture. i am depending upon my fellow hip hop heads to continue this thread. feel free to discuss upcoming/past releases and performances, opinions, ideas, and anything hip hop related. mind you, this thread is not open to discussing medioric mainstream pop rap.

"feed them fish, and they will eat for a day. teach them how to fish, and feed them for a lifetime."

show the disillusioned there is more than what is forced upon them.

madsci
hip hop purist

Old Post Dec 2nd, 2003 11:21 PM
madsci is currently offline Click here to Send madsci a Private Message Find more posts by madsci Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
in flames
murder brought aveng

i cant wait for mos def' new release

and im woundering...when in the hell will method man release something ?

Old Post Dec 2nd, 2003 11:28 PM
in flames is currently offline Click here to Send in flames a Private Message Find more posts by in flames Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
madsci
beats beats beats

"black on both sides" is my favorite album of that year. i am waiting patiently for anything that mos def puts out soon. hopefully, he will stay true to his roots, although, i don't see why he would not.

couldn't tell you about meth.

madsci
hip hop purist

Old Post Dec 2nd, 2003 11:42 PM
madsci is currently offline Click here to Send madsci a Private Message Find more posts by madsci Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dr. Leg Kick
Aesculapius

black on both sides was Great. i really liked the song Habitat.

Life is short and the art long, the occasion instant, experiment perilous, decision difficult.

Old Post Dec 2nd, 2003 11:48 PM
Dr. Leg Kick is currently offline Click here to Send Dr. Leg Kick a Private Message Find more posts by Dr. Leg Kick Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dr. Leg Kick
Aesculapius

i also like Mos Def feat Nate Dogg- Oh No

Life is short and the art long, the occasion instant, experiment perilous, decision difficult.

Old Post Dec 2nd, 2003 11:49 PM
Dr. Leg Kick is currently offline Click here to Send Dr. Leg Kick a Private Message Find more posts by Dr. Leg Kick Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
in flames
murder brought aveng

im sick of wating for method man..he has to put something ut soon..ive hated rap because good rappers/hiphopers take a while to put out an album..and all these crappy posers wannabes put an albumn every 6 months..arghhh...they let me down..but hopefully mos def will make that up

Old Post Dec 2nd, 2003 11:50 PM
in flames is currently offline Click here to Send in flames a Private Message Find more posts by in flames Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
John Smith
Restricted

Account Restricted

i've been listening to charizma & peanut butter wolf's "big shots" for 3 weeks strait and its GREAT.it's sad it wasnt able to be released until now,but better late than never.charizma could have been a star

r.i.p. charizma

Old Post Dec 2nd, 2003 11:52 PM
John Smith is currently offline Click here to Send John Smith a Private Message Find more posts by John Smith Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dr. Leg Kick
Aesculapius

true^

you guyz know anything about Nate Doggs new album? he has new one right?

Old Post Dec 2nd, 2003 11:55 PM
madsci
beats beats beats

pb wolf is extremely inspiring because of of his contributions to the culture. by forming "stones throw" and signing what HE believed to be talented artists, who more than likely would not have been signed by major labels, he has made strides for the future of hip hop. "my vinyl weighs a ton" permanantly remains in daily driving selection of cd's.

it is people who like pb wolf, who keep the culture alive by drive, dedication, and pure love for the art.

madsci
hip hop purist

Old Post Dec 3rd, 2003 04:26 AM
Dr. Leg Kick
Aesculapius

HUMPTY HUMP! lol

Old Post Dec 3rd, 2003 04:57 AM
metal face
whatchootalkinboutwillis

non-prophets-hope

feeling this album my favorite of the year so far for real

havnt had much time to listen to a lot so

aesop rock

i def wanna hear some new illogic

ya i dont know what to say

I'm not a cobb or corn, so you can stop butterin' me up. I don't need you to tell me how good my coffee is. I'm the one who buys it, I know how ****in' good it is. When Bonnie goes shoppin;, she buys shit. I buy the gourmet expensive stuff 'cause when I drink it, I wanna taste it. But what's on my mind at this moment isn't the coffee in my kitchen, it's the dead ****** in my garage-Jimmie

Old Post Dec 3rd, 2003 05:39 AM
metal face is currently offline Click here to Send metal face a Private Message Find more posts by metal face Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
John Smith
Restricted

Account Restricted

my top 5 hip hop labels off the top of my head

1)peanuts and corn
2)def jux
3)rhymesayers
4)stones throw
5)galapagos4

those 5 put out the best albums,top to bottom on a consistent basis...and they also have some of the most talented artists in hip-hop period

support the people who actually deserve our money

Old Post Dec 3rd, 2003 06:55 AM
John Smith is currently offline Click here to Send John Smith a Private Message Find more posts by John Smith Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
John Smith
Restricted

Account Restricted

"special herbs volumes 4,5,and 6" is getting the most rotation lately

and my album of the year is Diverse's "One A.M." w/o a doubt

Old Post Dec 3rd, 2003 07:43 AM
madsci
beats beats beats

i have not bought vols. 4,5, and 6 as of yet, but will soon, and i cannot wait to get my hands on it. is it as much the s#!t as i think it will be? not that i would ever doubt doom like that.

the one i'm truly holding out for is "madvillian". waiting...but not very patiently.

does anyone have copies of doom's "nastradoomus" recordings? i have not heard them as of yet, and i am thinking of getting them soon, purely for the concept alone.

feel free to post detailed album reviews

madsci
hip hop purist

Old Post Dec 3rd, 2003 01:51 PM
madsci
beats beats beats

my brethren, keep this thread alive... as it may be the only means of spreading the truth about real hip hop.

madsci
hip hop purist

Old Post Dec 4th, 2003 12:05 AM
metal face
whatchootalkinboutwillis

i havnt heard special herbs

doom is tight

i like him over his beats a little more though

jean grae is the only dope female rapper

cept maybe lil kim

hahahahahaha

I'm not a cobb or corn, so you can stop butterin' me up. I don't need you to tell me how good my coffee is. I'm the one who buys it, I know how ****in' good it is. When Bonnie goes shoppin;, she buys shit. I buy the gourmet expensive stuff 'cause when I drink it, I wanna taste it. But what's on my mind at this moment isn't the coffee in my kitchen, it's the dead ****** in my garage-Jimmie

Old Post Dec 4th, 2003 04:08 PM
metal face is currently offline Click here to Send metal face a Private Message Find more posts by metal face Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
madsci
beats beats beats

topic for conversation...

think of an ultimate album - choose an emcee/group of emcee's (an established group, ie: j5, etc.), produced by whomever of your choice (or wish), who has not worked together...

or emcee's who haven't worked together as of yet, and you wish would.

i'm going to think about it....maybe even dream

p.s. forgive me if there is a thread for this already. ultimately, i would like for this thread to be one dedicated for hip hop discussions...invite your friends and foes alike.

madsci
hip hop purist

Old Post Dec 5th, 2003 04:03 AM
madsci
beats beats beats

the last hip hop thread standing...

my brethren, post here for all hip hop related topics...and let's keep it on topic as not to get shut down.

"do not give into hate, for it only leads to suffering"

madsci
hip hop purist

Old Post Dec 6th, 2003 12:17 AM
Dr. Leg Kick
Aesculapius

ok madsci what u think of the following rappers

1. Big L
2. Pac
3. Atmosphere
4. Bone THugs

sorry i chose fast cuz i wanted thread to be alive smile

Old Post Dec 6th, 2003 12:47 AM
madsci
beats beats beats

h0ck3y> ...i think i've voiced my opinion 2pac before, but to reiterate, i think that he made many contributions to hip hop/rap music. unfortunately, i think he got wrapped up in all the b.s. that was prevalent at the time (ie: east coast vs. west coast). i'm not too keen on all that. for the record, i prefer b.i.g. over 2pac, just personal preference. i usually explain my opinion this way - quality vs. quantity. i believe that b.i.g.'s rhymes were quality, as 2pac's rhymes were quantity (he wrote so much damn stuff, that he had songs for days).

to be perfectly honest, i have heard of atmosphere but have not heard any of his work.

big L was tight...much respect.

can't say that i am much of a bone thugs fan. although a lot of people i know like them, even when they were popular, i couldn't really stand them.

today's topic: the most comedic concepts in hip hop

1. handsome boy modeling school "how's your girl" - hilarious concept, f#@%in tight album.
2. ugly duckling "taste the secret" - one word..."meatshake"
3. any thing recorded by kool keith, ie: dr. octagon, dr. doom, on and on and on. funny, but still tight.
4. quasimoto "the unseen" - i love it, the whole album. the voice cracks me up everytime i listen.

what do you think? do you have any concept albums that you find hilarious?

keep the culture alive...as well as this thread.

madsci
hip hop purist

Last edited by madsci on Dec 6th, 2003 at 02:05 PM

Old Post Dec 6th, 2003 02:03 PM