KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Music Discussion » The Joy Division, New Order Thread

The Joy Division, New Order Thread
Started by: Solo

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Solo

The Joy Division, New Order Thread

Great 80's bands, discuss them here. My favorite New Order song is probably Bizzare Love Triangle. What do you guys think of them?

Old Post Jul 20th, 2004 09:48 PM
Solo is currently offline Click here to Send Solo a Private Message Find more posts by Solo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
big gay kirk

Joy Division... New order... both bands with a twist... first a rock band with upbeat tunes but very downbeat songs, the second a dance band with very upbeat tunes and very downbeat songs... both named after Nazi ideas or institutions, but not Nazi... simply using the irony of the terms to good effect... that is, the bands, like the SS Joy Division, were anything but joyful... pity the singer killed himself...

Old Post Jul 20th, 2004 10:44 PM
big gay kirk is currently offline Click here to Send big gay kirk a Private Message Find more posts by big gay kirk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Solo

quote:
Originally posted by big gay kirk
Joy Division... New order... both bands with a twist... first a rock band with upbeat tunes but very downbeat songs, the second a dance band with very upbeat tunes and very downbeat songs... both named after Nazi ideas or institutions, but not Nazi... simply using the irony of the terms to good effect... that is, the bands, like the SS Joy Division, were anything but joyful... pity the singer killed himself...

He hung himself while listening to Iggy Pop's- The Idiot

Old Post Jul 21st, 2004 05:24 AM
Solo is currently offline Click here to Send Solo a Private Message Find more posts by Solo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kaleanae

I like Joy Divison, my favorite song is Love will tear us apart
I didn't know the groups names came from Nazi ideas messed

Old Post Jul 21st, 2004 04:15 PM
Kaleanae is currently offline Click here to Send Kaleanae a Private Message Find more posts by Kaleanae Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Deathblow
-

I like both, especially Joy Division. They bring back good memories happy

Although I hated Blue Monday, and I hope thats not all New Order are remembered for erm Orgy made the original sound ridiculous.

Old Post Jul 21st, 2004 04:40 PM
Deathblow is currently offline Click here to Send Deathblow a Private Message Find more posts by Deathblow Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
starshine
Cosmic Dancer

I love the song Love Will Tear Us Apart. But I like New Order more. I love the songs: True Faith, Crystal, Blue Monday...and some more

Old Post Jul 21st, 2004 05:41 PM
starshine is currently offline Click here to Send starshine a Private Message Find more posts by starshine Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Solo

Anyone hear that New Order is making singles with No Doubt? This could be very good. Making them extremely popular again.

Old Post Sep 7th, 2004 10:18 PM
Corlindel
Noldor

My favorit bands and music

Joy Division - Atmosphere and Transmission
Bauhaus - Dark Entries
Chameleons - Second Skin

And...How this is a New Order thread too I chose Blue Monday smile

Btw my Bauhaus thread is death sad I think it was the least replied thread ever in KMC. Maybe it is time to bump it again evil face

Por minha Dama
«...et tu seras pour moi unique au monde, et je serais pour toi unique au monde...»

Old Post Sep 9th, 2004 07:11 PM
Corlindel is currently offline Click here to Send Corlindel a Private Message Find more posts by Corlindel Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Solo

Joy Division will always be my favorite band. A lyrical genius Ian Curtis was.

Old Post Jan 5th, 2006 04:39 AM
papabeard
tHe RiVeRmaN

I prefer Joy Division, but New Order have some excellent songs, like Blue Monday and Temptation I even liked one of the songs off the last album.

Old Post Jan 5th, 2006 10:36 AM
papabeard is currently offline Click here to Send papabeard a Private Message Find more posts by papabeard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MildPossession
Restricted

Account Restricted

I like a few songs by New Order, but I adore Joy Division, fabulous band.

Old Post Jan 5th, 2006 06:28 PM
MildPossession is currently offline Click here to Send MildPossession a Private Message Find more posts by MildPossession Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sir Whirlysplat
Restricted

Account Restricted

Joy Division were awesome, I never got to see them. I saw New Order though. I used to go to the Hacienda with Nottingham Polytechnic "Club" Society. Great Memories - shit I feel old sad

herd behavior is a comical thing - Thanks Silver Spider

Old Post Jan 5th, 2006 06:31 PM
Sir Whirlysplat is currently offline Click here to Send Sir Whirlysplat a Private Message Find more posts by Sir Whirlysplat Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
exanda kane

Joy Division are great. Love Will tear us Apart is, of course, their best song, with Disorder a close second.

I don't like New Order, especially live (phtf!) but Blue Monday happens to be a tune.

Bravely Calling Actors By Their Second Names

Old Post Jan 5th, 2006 10:03 PM
exanda kane is currently offline Click here to Send exanda kane a Private Message Find more posts by exanda kane Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MildPossession
Restricted

Account Restricted

Blue Monday, and Love Will Tear Us Apart are the two songs from the bands that I don't enjoy as much as everyone else seems to, my least favourite songs. Never got into the songs.

Old Post Jan 5th, 2006 11:36 PM
MildPossession is currently offline Click here to Send MildPossession a Private Message Find more posts by MildPossession Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SleaterKinney32

I'm not a big fan of Blue Monday. I feel ashamed to say I did like the Orgy version back when it came out, but looking back on it, the New Order version is a whole lot better.

I really, really like Age of Consent and The Village by New Order. I definitely need to check out more Joy Division though.

Old Post Jan 6th, 2006 01:04 AM
SleaterKinney32 is currently offline Click here to Send SleaterKinney32 a Private Message Find more posts by SleaterKinney32 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
amity75

My favourite lyric of all time is "There's a taste in my mouth as desperation takes hold".

Post in the Indiana Jones forum.

Old Post Jan 9th, 2006 11:37 PM
amity75 is currently offline Click here to Send amity75 a Private Message Find more posts by amity75 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rick Deckard

I'm an '80's kid & am a big fan of New Order; lesser fan of Joy Division. However, the bands are inextricably connected, so there's no way you can discuss one without mentioning the other.

That being said, while I find Joy Division's sound somewhat dismal & dark (which I know was intentional), New Order's music is, overall, fresh & hopeful; they're my all-time favorite rock/pop band. I also consider NO to be one of the (if not the) early fore-runners of techno music.

Re: NO, I have too many favorite songs - but, among them are:

Bizarre Love Triangle extended version - this is possibly my favorite rock/pop song of all time. This song truly moves me, even 30+ years after first hearing this.

Temptation - my second favorite NO song. Really liked the way this song was used in one of my favorite films, Trainspotting. Superb!

True Faith

Ceremony - amazing sound.

Round and Round

Regret

Shellshock

Confusion

Fine Time

State of the Nation

Dreams Never End

Vanishing Point

Love Vigilantes

Brutal (from The Beach soundtrack - 2000) - great song, which I think was originally supposed to be a JD song?!

Crystal (2001) - Excellent sound, and brings to mind their '80's music, while still being "fresh".

Slow Jam

Thieves Like Us

And many others...

To all NO fans, I would also recommend the boxed set Retro (2003) - if you can get this for a good price. This got mixed reviews & can be expensive on the secondary market, but I really enjoy this set - I got it for only $30 used several years back - though the box was somewhat worn, the CD's were in perfect shape.

New Order has a new album that was released in Fall 2015, Music Complete. And, it's excellent! I think it's their best one of the 21st century, and really brings to mind their '80's songs. I feel like I'm discovering their music for the first time when listening to this. Favorite songs on this album include: Restless, Singularity, Plastic, Tutti Frutti, Academic, and others. Fantastic!

Also, these two movies are highly recommended to fans of JD, though NO fans will probably like them as well:

24 Hour Party People - great portrait of the music "scene" in Manchester, England back in the late '70's - late '80's.

Control - very powerful, depressing, and dark b&w bio-pic focusing exclusively on Joy Division. Though I'm more of a NO fan, Control gave me a much greater appreciation of JD's relatively small body of work (and it was only small because they weren't around for that long). I would also say that Control is quite possibly the best bio-pic. I've seen about a rock group (if you want to consider JD a rock group).....we'll always wonder what would have happened with JD if Ian Curtis had lived; he passed on shortly before their first planned U.S. tour.

Old Post Dec 10th, 2017 02:17 AM
Rick Deckard is currently offline Click here to Send Rick Deckard a Private Message Find more posts by Rick Deckard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Eon Blue
Restricted

Account Restricted

I really enjoy both bands, but prefer New Order a tad bit more.

I will never be a memory.

Old Post May 22nd, 2018 06:19 PM
Eon Blue is currently offline Click here to Send Eon Blue a Private Message Find more posts by Eon Blue Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote