KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Music Discussion » 25 years without John Lennon

25 years without John Lennon
Started by: bakerboy

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
bakerboy

25 years without John Lennon

Today, is 25 aniversary of John Lennon's death, in 1980. where you was in that date? what its the importance of him in music? What is your opinion about John work and about his work with the beatles?

For me, i think that there wasnt and there wont any musical artist and song writter like Lennon was.

John Lennon, Musical genius of all time

Helen Mirren and Julie Christie , most lovely british actresses of all time.

Old Post Dec 8th, 2005 06:49 PM
bakerboy is currently offline Click here to Send bakerboy a Private Message Find more posts by bakerboy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

He was very talented and obviously a guy that many people treasured. He said the right things at the right time, this made him legendary.

I think going beyond that is giving him way more credit than he deserves and I think his death more or less boosted his reputation. I don't think he'd ever be as revered as he is if he were alive.

But we all know that you're just going to reply to anyone who thinks anything less of him/them than the best ever, with insults.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

I review comics and such here: http://welcometothemast.blogspot.com

Old Post Dec 8th, 2005 07:01 PM
Alpha Centauri is currently offline Click here to Send Alpha Centauri a Private Message Find more posts by Alpha Centauri Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
bakerboy

Where do you get that? Stop that nonsense stuff, dude. I dont insult anyone for that reason.

Old Post Dec 8th, 2005 07:32 PM
bakerboy is currently offline Click here to Send bakerboy a Private Message Find more posts by bakerboy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jaden101
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri

I think his death more or less boosted his reputation. I don't think he'd ever be as revered as he is if he were alive.

-AC

i agree with that...infact i would go as far as to say that it probably did the likes of him, hendrix, joni mitchell, kurt cobain etc that they did die in more or less their prime

artists that have continued for several decades never seem to get out of the shadow of their older and in most cases, better material...Bob Dylan being a case in point...while he can still write a good song...his presense is diminished on stage...his voice faulters alot and his he just cant seem to get out of the shadow of his classics..

You come at the King, you best not miss!

Old Post Dec 8th, 2005 07:43 PM
jaden101 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden101 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden101 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

That being said, I don't think Cobain would have got much better than he already was, which was just really good.

Joni Mitchell probably would have continued being as amazing as she was. Hendrix was 28, I don't even wanna wager a guess as to where he'd end up being.

The thing with deaths is that, they don't retract talent or the possibility that they might have progressed, they just make what they did while they were alive...look better.

In some cases (Mitchell, Hendrix) it's justified. In others (Cobain, Lennon) it's not.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

Old Post Dec 8th, 2005 07:46 PM
Alpha Centauri is currently offline Click here to Send Alpha Centauri a Private Message Find more posts by Alpha Centauri Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jaden101
Restricted

Account Restricted

its true that they may well have got better and wrote even more amazing songs but age catches up with alot of artists...i cant imagine hendrix having the same energy nowadays simply through age because it catches up with everyone

the rolling stones still put the effort into their tours but i went to see them live a couple of years ago and while it was still a great gig...it did look sadly embarresing at times

Old Post Dec 8th, 2005 07:53 PM
jaden101 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden101 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden101 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
bakerboy

Well, in the case of Lennon, i think that oviously, his death added something big to his mith. But if you remember who he was before his death, i think that his death not was so important in his legend as the people think.

Old Post Dec 8th, 2005 07:58 PM
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

If Lennon was alive today, he'd not be as revered.

Originally posted by jaden101
its true that they may well have got better and wrote even more amazing songs but age catches up with alot of artists...i cant imagine hendrix having the same energy nowadays simply through age because it catches up with everyone

the rolling stones still put the effort into their tours but i went to see them live a couple of years ago and while it was still a great gig...it did look sadly embarresing at times

With all due respect, Keith Richards shouldn't be alive by now hahaha. The fact that he can still shred and look cool while doing it is something I have endless respect for.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

Old Post Dec 8th, 2005 08:00 PM
Draco69
Snarky Slytherin

Very legendary musician who not only taught us that love is blind but also apparently deaf as well.

May he rest in peace.

Old Post Dec 8th, 2005 08:01 PM
Draco69 is currently offline Click here to Send Draco69 a Private Message Find more posts by Draco69 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
bakerboy

That is only your opinion, not a fact. Only speculation. How do you know that?

The question is, was Lennon a mith before his death? The anwser is very clear.

Old Post Dec 8th, 2005 08:03 PM
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

Mith? You mean myth? How can he be a myth? The man is real. He existed. You are actually so unintelligent.

Was he legendary before his death? Yes. As much? Not by a long, long, long way.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

Old Post Dec 8th, 2005 08:05 PM
jaden101
Restricted

Account Restricted

If Lennon was alive today, he'd not be as revered.

With all due respect, Keith Richards shouldn't be alive by now hahaha. The fact that he can still shred and look cool while doing it is something I have endless respect for.

-AC

laughing ...was it him or ronny who's nose fell off because of the coke...they are mad as hats and i have huge respect for any pensioner who can still bag supermodels

still...i guess this is how he should look

(please log in to view the image)

Old Post Dec 8th, 2005 08:15 PM
bakerboy

Dont be that silly. You know what i was refering about . And surely, his death helped his legend, as it did in the cases of Hendrix, Morrison, Joplin, etc. But not so much as you think.

Old Post Dec 8th, 2005 08:16 PM
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

The difference is, Hendrix did things at and around his 20's that nobody has ever surpassed.

Lennon didn't.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

Old Post Dec 8th, 2005 08:19 PM
jaden101
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by bakerboy
Dont be that silly. You know what i was refering about . And surely, his death helped his legend, as it did in the cases of Hendrix, Morrison, Joplin, etc. But not so much as you think.

the problem in the beatles case is that they were a pop band...and 60 year olds in pop bands just aint gonna cut it with the fickle youth of today

Old Post Dec 8th, 2005 08:21 PM
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

Infact, there's another pop band that remind me of The Beatles in general demeanour. Not talent, because they have none, but still.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

Old Post Dec 8th, 2005 08:37 PM
jaden101
Restricted

Account Restricted

Infact, there's another pop band that remind me of The Beatles in general demeanour. Not talent, because they have none, but still.

-AC

can i get three guesses

coldplay
coldplay

and

coldplay

tell me when i'm getting warm cause the only others i can think of are mcfly and oasis

Old Post Dec 8th, 2005 09:28 PM
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

You don't think Franz Ferdinand visually play off The Beatles formula?

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

Old Post Dec 8th, 2005 09:32 PM
jaden101
Restricted

Account Restricted

You don't think Franz Ferdinand visually play off The Beatles formula?

-AC

to be honest i have no clue...i've never had the misfortune of seeing any of their videos or live stuff...i've seen them in mags and i guess they do though

although alex kaekfp[owaepafp[eaqwoopoompaloompa seems to try and steal the limelight more than any single beatle did

Old Post Dec 8th, 2005 09:39 PM
bakerboy

Really, some of the stuff that i have read here seems like from a circus, but when i did this topic i thought that it was a place to the fans for remember John Lennon and his music in his 25 aniversary. This kind of discussion is out of place here.

Old Post Dec 8th, 2005 10:44 PM