KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Music Discussion » Pop Music

Pop Music
Started by: Alpha Centauri

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

Pop Music

Save the "It means popular" comments. Try not to be anal.

Basically, pop music is either seen as a guilty pleasure or something to be hated with venom.

However, it's undeniable that there have been some incredible pop or pop orientated artists in music over all time, some of it ranking as arguably the best music ever (Prince sometimes, Jackson etc).

So what pop music do you like, if at all?

What pop music do you believe is responsible for the tag it's acquired as a damned genre?

What era do you think produced the best pop music? Modern or earlier days?

What, to you, constitutes pop music or a pop song?

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

I review comics and such here: http://welcometothemast.blogspot.com

Old Post Feb 26th, 2006 09:55 PM
Alpha Centauri is currently offline Click here to Send Alpha Centauri a Private Message Find more posts by Alpha Centauri Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

Well, I had a conversation with VVD about that, and I guess they are not really that Pop but I like "The Smiths", who I guess considered themself Pop (at least Pop enough to perform on "Top of the Pops") and I like "Pulp" a lot, which argueably are Pop too. The thing is I can not pinpoint what Pop means really. As you said, "popular" would make things easy, but also make it pointless as a genre (and as I speak London Calling is playing on a Documentary which schocks me, ...back to topic). I also like "The Beatles" who might be considered "Pop" as well, besides them not being it. I think Pop is a very wide genre, and it usually means what actually is mainstream at the moment, although some artist consider themself Pop without being Mainstream.

Old Post Feb 26th, 2006 10:11 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

I think The Beatles are very much pop also. They're more or less the first major popular boy band (this isn't meant as derogatory before people go mental).

To me, pop is the likes of Michael Jackson, some Prince, along the lines of Marvin Gaye and Diana Ross (pop-soul I guess you could say).

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

Old Post Feb 26th, 2006 10:27 PM
Alpha Centauri is currently offline Click here to Send Alpha Centauri a Private Message Find more posts by Alpha Centauri Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Victor Von Doom
Latverian Diplomat

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
I think The Beatles are very much pop also. They're more or less the first major popular boy band (this isn't meant as derogatory before people go mental).

To me, pop is the likes of Michael Jackson, some Prince, along the lines of Marvin Gaye and Diana Ross (pop-soul I guess you could say).

-AC

Not Marvin Gaye. Arguably Diana Ross.

I think pop is almost like 'default' music.

First test- does it fit into any other genre?

Second- is it popular/mainstream?

It's almost like a definition of exclusion: it is pop if it's nothing else.

I think Michael Jackson is always the classic pop archetype. Even then, though, you can see clear differences between that and other pop, IE George Michael, Elton John, Madonna.

Old Post Feb 26th, 2006 10:34 PM
Victor Von Doom is currently offline Click here to Send Victor Von Doom a Private Message Find more posts by Victor Von Doom Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Morgoths_Wrath

would The Postal Service or The Shins be considered pop?

Old Post Feb 26th, 2006 10:45 PM
Morgoths_Wrath is currently offline Click here to Send Morgoths_Wrath a Private Message Find more posts by Morgoths_Wrath Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Victor Von Doom
Latverian Diplomat

Not The Shins; I haven't heard anything by The Postal Service.

Old Post Feb 26th, 2006 10:54 PM
Victor Von Doom is currently offline Click here to Send Victor Von Doom a Private Message Find more posts by Victor Von Doom Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bierbommetje

Pretty simple structure. Clear hooks. Catchy. Not too deep (not meant as a negative). Nothing truly heavy. Doesn't take a million spins to "get".

Id consider that pop.

Old Post Feb 26th, 2006 11:02 PM
Bierbommetje is currently offline Click here to Send Bierbommetje a Private Message Find more posts by Bierbommetje Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Morgoths_Wrath

Originally posted by Bierbommetje
Not too deep

if you’re referring to The Shins, I suggest you read some of their lyrics

Old Post Feb 26th, 2006 11:06 PM
Morgoths_Wrath is currently offline Click here to Send Morgoths_Wrath a Private Message Find more posts by Morgoths_Wrath Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bierbommetje

Originally posted by Morgoths_Wrath
if you’re referring to The Shins, I suggest you read some of their lyrics

Originally posted by Victor Von Doom
Not The Shins

Old Post Feb 26th, 2006 11:10 PM
Bierbommetje is currently offline Click here to Send Bierbommetje a Private Message Find more posts by Bierbommetje Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
..:Sn0w:..

Hmmmmm....I like Black eyed peas, Nelly sometimes, Sean Paul, Weezer, Linkin Park and the Neptunes.

Old Post Feb 27th, 2006 12:52 AM
..:Sn0w:.. is currently offline Click here to Send ..:Sn0w:.. a Private Message Find more posts by ..:Sn0w:.. Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

Weezer and Linkin Park aren't pop bands. Linkin Park are a shit rock band and Weezer are an excellent one.

Weezer do very much have pop sensibilities though.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

Old Post Feb 27th, 2006 01:07 AM
mysterio69
bored as f.uck

pop is something that everyone can get into. i guess someone like beyonce could be considered pop because all age groups can listen to her songs and there's really nothing threatening or experimental with her music. it's music that's easy to swallow, i guess.

Old Post Feb 27th, 2006 01:29 AM
mysterio69 is currently offline Click here to Send mysterio69 a Private Message Find more posts by mysterio69 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
mysterio69
bored as f.uck

Weezer and Linkin Park aren't pop bands. Linkin Park are a shit rock band and Weezer are an excellent one.

-AC

hear hear! goddam right.

Old Post Feb 27th, 2006 01:29 AM
mysterio69 is currently offline Click here to Send mysterio69 a Private Message Find more posts by mysterio69 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Callous
Mitsu Racer Honda Hater

Pop sucks.......Britney Spears, Nsync, Backstreet Boys, etc...

J-Pop is the only pop I can tolerate.

Old Post Feb 27th, 2006 01:35 AM
Darth Callous is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Callous a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Callous Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Callous
Mitsu Racer Honda Hater

Re: Pop Music

What, to you, constitutes pop music or a pop song?

A fast electronic beat with NO bass, and cheesy lyrics about love by either a chick or a group of phaggots.

Old Post Feb 27th, 2006 01:36 AM
Darth Callous is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Callous a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Callous Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Callous
Mitsu Racer Honda Hater

-AC

LP is a metal band with a rapper.

Mike Shinoda is a good MC, he should leave LP and pursue a solo career.

Old Post Feb 27th, 2006 01:37 AM
Ya Krunk'd Floo
Moving with the swell.

I classify 'pop' as music that has a good melody, a catchy chorus and lasts around the three-minute mark.

The best pop music is from the 60s/70s...Jackson 5, ABBA, the Bee Gees, The Beach Boys, The Mamas & The Papas, the Supremes, The Beatles - They all made great pop music.

Recent good pop artists include Madonna...and...uh...that's about all I'm willing to venture. Actually, I consider Linkin Park as good pop band. Sure, they can easily be put in the 'rock' category, but most of their songs fall into my definition of 'pop', so that's where they shall remain.

Qualifying statement: When I say they are 'good', I mean it in the context of other pop bands like Busted, Westlife, TheStupidTwentysomethingsSingingForTeenAgers, etc.

Nothing of him that doth fade
But doth suffer a sea-change
Into something rich and strange.

Last edited by Ya Krunk'd Floo on Feb 27th, 2006 at 03:12 AM

Old Post Feb 27th, 2006 03:10 AM
Ya Krunk'd Floo is currently offline Click here to Send Ya Krunk'd Floo a Private Message Find more posts by Ya Krunk'd Floo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Afro Cheese

I like some pop like MJ and The Beatles and whatnot however I find that even the best pop tends to get old quicker than most other music. Just my view.. to me a catchy jingle can only go so far.

Old Post Feb 27th, 2006 03:22 AM
Afro Cheese is currently offline Click here to Send Afro Cheese a Private Message Find more posts by Afro Cheese Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smallville
Last Son of Krypton

Some bands... like Coheed and Cambria... I've been listening to for a while. They recently became a little popular. By which I mean they started showing their music videos, and I hear some of their songs on the radio.

Some pop music is alright.

Old Post Feb 27th, 2006 03:48 AM
Smallville is currently offline Click here to Send Smallville a Private Message Find more posts by Smallville Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Victor Von Doom
Latverian Diplomat

Originally posted by Smallville
Some bands... like Coheed and Cambria... I've been listening to for a while. They recently became a little popular. By which I mean they started showing their music videos, and I hear some of their songs on the radio.

Some pop music is alright.

Although Coheed are very far from being pop.

Old Post Feb 27th, 2006 03:05 PM