KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Music Discussion » new trends.

new trends.
Started by: drunk_nazgul

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
drunk_nazgul
obscure

Miffed new trends.

I don't know about you guys, but it seems to me that "emo" bands like Fall Out Boy and Hawthorne Heights have started new trends in America. The preppy kids have either turned punk or emo, and everyone is following the same trend.
Have you noticed?

Old Post Mar 20th, 2006 01:11 AM
drunk_nazgul is currently offline Click here to Send drunk_nazgul a Private Message Find more posts by drunk_nazgul Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
RedAlertv2

No Ive never noticed that. You're the absolute first person to point this out

How Could Hell Be Any Worse?

Old Post Mar 20th, 2006 01:12 AM
RedAlertv2 is currently offline Click here to Send RedAlertv2 a Private Message Find more posts by RedAlertv2 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Roulette
Freak

Re: new trends.

quote: (post)
Originally posted by drunk_nazgul
I don't know about you guys, but it seems to me that "emo" bands like Fall Out Boy and Hawthorne Heights have started new trends in America. The preppy kids have either turned punk or emo, and everyone is following the same trend.
Have you noticed?

Haha..tell me about it O.O

It's just like that over here in Australia.

My sister's a hairdresser...a couple of days ago, she told me that so many people have come into the salon and asked for emo haircuts.

Madness, as you know, is like gravity...all it takes is a little push.

Old Post Mar 20th, 2006 01:16 AM
Roulette is currently offline Click here to Send Roulette a Private Message Find more posts by Roulette Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
badAssSoadFan13
I'm free as a bird now

OH MAN I'VE NOTICED THAT!!
No offense but i don't really like Hawthorne Heights OR Fall Out Boy, but I don't get the whole:
"since i listen to them i'm emo now" thing

Old Post Mar 20th, 2006 01:27 AM
badAssSoadFan13 is currently offline Click here to Send badAssSoadFan13 a Private Message Find more posts by badAssSoadFan13 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Peach
mordrem

That's because they're mostly teenagers that have no concept of what they like beyond what MTV tells them.

I just ignore it. It's stupid and annoying and not worth my attention.

under the pale tree - my [email protected]

I can hear the call of the dragon...

Old Post Mar 20th, 2006 01:56 AM
Peach is currently offline Click here to Send Peach a Private Message Find more posts by Peach Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kumar

Re: new trends.

Have you noticed?

first, Fall Out Boy isn't an emo band

secondly, No, i have never noticed that. At my high school, none of the preps have turned punk OR emo. They just hate them. they all go home and listen to Fity, grind and go shop at Hollister.

I will live Forever

Old Post Mar 20th, 2006 02:22 AM
Kumar is currently offline Click here to Send Kumar a Private Message Find more posts by Kumar Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
drunk_nazgul
obscure

Re: Re: new trends.

Originally posted by Kumar
first, Fall Out Boy isn't an emo band

secondly, No, i have never noticed that. At my high school, none of the preps have turned punk OR emo. They just hate them. they all go home and listen to Fity, grind and go shop at Hollister.

((ew))

well, they dress "emo" and they sing "emo" and most kids that listen to them ARE emo.

Originally posted by Lana
That's because they're mostly teenagers that have no concept of what they like beyond what MTV tells them.

I just ignore it. It's stupid and annoying and not worth my attention.

1. You were a teenager not too long ago. Don't go bashing.
2. Almighty, aren't we? stick out tongue

anyway, yeah, I just thought it needed to be said that I'm sick of everyone following certain trends all at once.
We need different junk.

Old Post Mar 20th, 2006 04:49 AM
drunk_nazgul is currently offline Click here to Send drunk_nazgul a Private Message Find more posts by drunk_nazgul Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
el_barto
I'm So Bored With the USA

Emo does not stand or emotional. Emo isn't that whiney rich kid in your algebra class who whines about how much his life sucks. Emo isn't that shit you see in Hot Topic or on MTV. Emo isn't My Chemical Romance or Taking Back Sunday or Dashboard Confessional or Bright Eyes. Emo is not a mindset. Emo is not a person, or type of person. Emo is not a corporate trend. Emo is not tight pants or moronic hair. Emo is not a fashion. "Emo" is not the use of diluted, meaningless metaphors and similes such as "My arms are like pinecones," and most definitely is not the rampant use of words such as "autumn," "heart," "knife," "bleeding," "leaves," and "razorblade." Emo is not cutting your wrists because your girlfriend dumped you and your mother wouldn't stir your chocolate milk. Emo is not bad music.

Emo is the term used for an underground movement of music in the mid-80's through the early-90's. What does emo mean? Emo is emotionally charged hardcore punk rock or "emotive hardcore". It is simply just a subgenre of hardcore. (Hardcore punk meaning bands like Minor Threat, Bad Brains, Black Flag, FEAR, etc.) In the original incarnation, the term emo was coined to describe the sound of (Washington) DC area bands such as Rites of Spring, Embrace (Ian MacKaye's transitional band after Minor Threat and before Fugazi), Dag Nasty, One Last Wish, Moss Icon, Grey Matter, and Fire Party, Rites of Spring being the first actual emo band. Most of these bands sound nothing like today's "emo".

In 1985 in Washington, D.C., Ian MacKaye and Guy Picciotto, veterans of the DC hardcore music scene, decided to shift away from what they saw as the constraints of the basic style of hardcore and the escalating violence within the scene. They took their music in a more personal direction with a far greater sense of experimentation, bringing forth MacKaye's Embrace and Picciotto's Rites of Spring. The style of music developed by Embrace and Rites of Spring soon became its own sound. (Hüsker Dü's 1984 album Zen Arcade is often cited as a major influence for the new sound.) As a result of the renewed spirit of experimentation and musical innovation that developed the new scene, the summer of 1985 soon came to be known in the scene as "Revolution Summer".

Within a short time, the DC emo sound began to influence other bands such as Moss Icon, Nation of Ulysses, Dag Nasty, Shudder To Think, Fire Party, Marginal Man, and Gray Matter, many of which were released on MacKaye's Dischord Records. The original wave of DC emo finally ended in late 1994 with the collapse of Hoover.

Where the term emo actually originated is uncertain, but members of Rites of Spring mentioned in a 1985 interview in Flipside Magazine that some of their fans had started using the term to describe their music. By the early 90s, it was not uncommon for the early DC scene to be referred to as emo-core, though it's unclear when the term shifted.

As the DC scene expanded, other scenes began to develop with a similar sound. In San Diego in the early 1990s, Gravity Records released a number of records in the hardcore emo style. Bands of the period included Heroin, Indian Summer, Angel Hair, Antioch Arrow, Universal Order of Armageddon, Swing Kids, and Mohinder. At the same time, in the New York/New Jersey era, bands such as Native Nod, Merel, 1.6 Band, Rye Coalition and Rorschach were feeling the same impulse. Many of these bands were involved with the ABC No Rio club scene in New York, itself a response to the violence and stagnation in the scene and with the bands that played at CBGBs, the only other small venue for hardcore in New York at the time. Much of this wave of emo, particularly the San Diego scene, began to shift towards a more chaotic and aggressive form of emo, nicknamed screamo.

By and large, the more hardcore style of emo began to fade as many of the early era groups disbanded. Even still, a handful of modern bands continue to reflect emo's hardcore origins, including Circle Takes the Square, Hot Cross, City of Caterpillar, Funeral Diner, and A Day in Black and White.

Back in DC, following the disbanding of both Rites of Spring and Embrace, MacKaye and Picciotto decided to join forces in a new band, called Fugazi. While Fugazi itself was not categorized as emo, the music it created would soon influence the second major wave of emo.

Emo, and it's various incarnations, is very good underground music if you're a fan of raw, aggressive, fast-paced music with introspective lyrics. Emo is NOT bad music! Generally, if you're a fan of punk rock, hardcore, indie, or even grindcore or metal, you'll probably like emo/screamo.

Today, the words "emo" and "screamo" are often (incorrectly) used on bands like Dashboard Confessional, Senses Fail, My Chemical Romance, Atreyu, the Used, and Bright Eyes. (Bright Eyes, has nothing to do with emo, they're a folk-indie rock band.) The other bands, however, are nothing more than pop music or mallcore (which is pop music itself in a more "br00tal" form). The labels "emo" and "screamo" are slapped onto almost every teeny-bopper pop band with "angst-ridden" lyrics and members that are "so HAWT LOLZ" by the three M's: the Music industry, the Media, and MTV. They all have the same basic formula and sound with a couple different variations. Most of these bands have nothing to do with hardcore, punk, or emo music at all. Also, emo is used to describe a lot of a "depressed" kids that cut. These kids aren't emo, they're just retarded attention-whores for the most part. If you want to insult someone who claims to be "emo", the most appropriate names for these corporate cock-sucking zombies, are "scenesters" or "scene kids". So in conclusion,

List of True Emo Bands
Rites of Spring
Embrace (US band, not the UK brit-pop band)
Gray Matter
Ignition
Dag Nasty
Monsula
Fugazi
Fuel
Samiam
Jawbreaker
Hot Water Music
Elliot
Friction
Soulside
Lifetime
Split Lip(same band as Chamberlain)
Chamberlain(same band as Split Lip)
Kerosene 454
Moss Icon
The Hated
Silver Bearings
Native Nod
Merel
Hoover
Current
Indian Summer
Evergreen
Navio Forge
Still Life
Shotmaker
Policy of 3
Clikatat Ikatowi
Maximillian Colby
Noneleftstanding
Embassy
Ordination of Aaron
Floodgate
Four Hundred Years
Frail
Lincoln
Julia
Shroomunion
Unwound
Heroin
Antioch Arrow
Mohinder
Honeywell
Reach Out
Portaits of Past
Assfactor 4
Second Story Window
End of the Line
Angel Hair
Swing Kids
Three Studies for a Crucifixion
John Henry West
Guyver-1
Palatka
Coleman
Iconoclast
Sunny Day Real Estate
Christie Front Drive
Promise Ring
Mineral
Boys Life
Sideshow
Get-Up Kids
Braid
Cap'n Jazz
Funeral Diner
Circle Takes The Square
A Day in Black and White
A Trillion Barnacle Lapse
Air Conditioning
Amanda Woodward
Breather Resist
Coliseum
Envy
Gospel
Hot Cross
Kaospilot
Lack
Melt Banana
Mikoto
Newgenics
North of America
Off Minor
Gun Metal Gray
Saetia
I Hate Myself
I Would Set Myself On Fire For You
City Of Caterpillar
The Kodan Armada
Raein

NOT Emo:
All-American Rejects
As I Lay Dying
Atreyu
Avril Lavigne
Billy Talent(What talent?)
Blink 182
Bowling For Soup
Brand New
Busted
Coheed & Cambria
Dashboard Confessional
Early November
Emery
Fall Out Boy
Finch
From Autumn to Ashes
From First to Last
Green Day
Good Charlotte
Hawthorne Heights
Haste the Day
Linkin Park
Matchbox Romance
My American Heart
My Chemical Romance
New Found Glory
Rufio
Saves the Day
Senses Fail
Silverstein
Simple Plan
Something Corporate
Starting Line
Story of the Year
Sugarcult
Sum 41
Taking Back Sunday
Thursday
UnderOath
Used
Yellowcard
Test Icicles
AFI

Note: I did not write this, most of it is copied and pasted from wikipedia and other parts are from another forum.

You Call This a New Way of Thinking? I Call This Regression to Ignorance.

Old Post Mar 20th, 2006 04:54 AM
el_barto is currently offline Click here to Send el_barto a Private Message Find more posts by el_barto Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
RedAlertv2

Jawbreaker is a good band and a good example. Theyre punk, only emotional.

How Could Hell Be Any Worse?

Old Post Mar 20th, 2006 04:55 AM
RedAlertv2 is currently offline Click here to Send RedAlertv2 a Private Message Find more posts by RedAlertv2 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Peach
mordrem

((ew))

well, they dress "emo" and they sing "emo" and most kids that listen to them ARE emo.

1. You were a teenager not too long ago. Don't go bashing.
2. Almighty, aren't we? stick out tongue

anyway, yeah, I just thought it needed to be said that I'm sick of everyone following certain trends all at once.
We need different junk.

Yeah, I was a teenager not long ago, but I was never a trendwhore. If people are going to allow themselves to be spoonfed by MTV, they deserve to be bashed.

And I was just waiting for someone to break out the article on what emo really is.

under the pale tree - my [email protected]

I can hear the call of the dragon...

Old Post Mar 20th, 2006 04:58 AM
Peach is currently offline Click here to Send Peach a Private Message Find more posts by Peach Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

That's exactly what it is, an article. If you can't speak from your own knowledge, don't speak.

It's nothing I haven't been saying for ages on this site and nobody seems to get it.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

I review comics and such here: http://welcometothemast.blogspot.com

Old Post Mar 20th, 2006 05:20 AM
Alpha Centauri is currently offline Click here to Send Alpha Centauri a Private Message Find more posts by Alpha Centauri Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Afro Cheese

How is it a new phenomenon that popular music has an effect on popular culture and in turn the way people dress?

Everyone has their own image of what "cool" is, and we all try to mirror our own image of cool in the way we dress, whether you follow popular trends or not. Kids who think the emo image is "cool" don't deserve to be bashed any more then anyone else.

Old Post Mar 20th, 2006 06:30 AM
Afro Cheese is currently offline Click here to Send Afro Cheese a Private Message Find more posts by Afro Cheese Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

That's the irony of it, Afro.

Those who eventually started stereotyping modern-day emo (I view it as a disgrace to real emo to use that term today) ended up looking more stupid than those they didn't like.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

I review comics and such here: http://welcometothemast.blogspot.com

Old Post Mar 20th, 2006 06:38 AM
Alpha Centauri is currently offline Click here to Send Alpha Centauri a Private Message Find more posts by Alpha Centauri Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote