KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Music Discussion » Best Piano Player

Best Ever
You do not have permission to vote on this poll.
Vladimir Horowitz 1 16.67%
Art Tatum 0 0%
Sergei Rachmaninoff 1 16.67%
Franz Liszt 0 0%
Oscar Peterson 1 16.67%
Anton Rubinstein 1 16.67%
Arcadi Volodos 0 0%
Frederic Chopin 2 33.33%
Josef Hofmann 0 0%
Arturo Michelangeli 0 0%
Total: 6 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Best Piano Player
Started by: Nellinator

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Nellinator
Crazy Canuck

Best Piano Player

Who do you think is the best ever?

And if someone says Elton John or Tori Amos I will punch myself in the face pretending it was you because as much as I love both of them they are both C class pianists.

Old Post Jan 19th, 2007 01:42 AM
Nellinator is currently offline Click here to Send Nellinator a Private Message Find more posts by Nellinator Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

Tori Amos a C class pianist?

You're an A class something, and it rhymes with "pianist".

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

I review comics and such here: http://welcometothemast.blogspot.com

Old Post Jan 19th, 2007 02:06 AM
Alpha Centauri is currently offline Click here to Send Alpha Centauri a Private Message Find more posts by Alpha Centauri Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nellinator
Crazy Canuck

She really is compared to anyone of these guys. I really like her and prefer her to any of them, but she is not anyway near technically as good. She couldn't play at half the speed, nor does she have the handspan, nor does she have the perfection of any of them.

Old Post Jan 19th, 2007 03:55 AM
Nellinator is currently offline Click here to Send Nellinator a Private Message Find more posts by Nellinator Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nellinator
Crazy Canuck

Oh, and I meant to say to post your favorite too. My favorite is Tori Amos for whatever genre I consider her (haven't quite decided and I hate calling people Alternative) and my favorite rock keyboardist is Jon Lord of Deep Purple.

Old Post Jan 19th, 2007 05:10 AM
Kram3r

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
Tori Amos a C class pianist?

You're an A class something, and it rhymes with "pianist".

-AC

Right on!

Nellinator, you do realized Tori's played the piano with the piano strings. If you think that's C-Class I suggest you reconsider your judgment. My favorite (I won't even suggest he's the best) is Ben Folds. Great songwriter and he has such great prowess towards the piano. He really knows how to work a show as well.

Old Post Jan 19th, 2007 06:42 AM
Kram3r is currently offline Click here to Send Kram3r a Private Message Find more posts by Kram3r Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

Tori Amos, regardless of who she isn't technically better than, is technically brilliant.

As for hand span, she can play two grand pianos at the same time, one hand each.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

Old Post Jan 19th, 2007 07:31 AM
Alpha Centauri is currently offline Click here to Send Alpha Centauri a Private Message Find more posts by Alpha Centauri Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kram3r

Tori Amos, regardless of who she isn't technically better than, is technically brilliant.

As for hand span, she can play two grand pianos at the same time, one hand each.

-AC

Exactly, well said.

Old Post Jan 19th, 2007 07:43 AM
Kram3r is currently offline Click here to Send Kram3r a Private Message Find more posts by Kram3r Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nellinator
Crazy Canuck

Originally posted by Kram3r
Right on!

Nellinator, you do realized Tori's played the piano with the piano strings. If you think that's C-Class I suggest you reconsider your judgment. My favorite (I won't even suggest he's the best) is Ben Folds. Great songwriter and he has such great prowess towards the piano. He really knows how to work a show as well.
She pushes B-class at times, however I maintain that she is C-class. Amos, despite AC's claims is less technically talented than a whole lot of people. C-class is not bad, in fact it is really good, but there are hundreds of people better than her. If anyone argues that she is even top ten they obviously haven't seen or heard the people I mentioned.

I love Ben Folds, its good stuff.

Old Post Jan 19th, 2007 07:49 AM
Ya Krunk'd Floo
Moving with the swell.

I'm still trying to work out what "A-class something" rhymes with 'pianist'...

Nothing of him that doth fade
But doth suffer a sea-change
Into something rich and strange.

Old Post Jan 19th, 2007 09:37 AM
Ya Krunk'd Floo is currently offline Click here to Send Ya Krunk'd Floo a Private Message Find more posts by Ya Krunk'd Floo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

Originally posted by Ya Krunk'd Floo
I'm still trying to work out what "A-class something" rhymes with 'pianist'...

Probably "idiot".

Old Post Jan 19th, 2007 12:39 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
vintageSW77
MANCUNIAN

Les Dawson no question

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPHBqi5Lv54

Old Post Jan 19th, 2007 12:55 PM
vintageSW77 is currently offline Click here to Send vintageSW77 a Private Message Find more posts by vintageSW77 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Nellinator
Amos, despite AC's claims is less technically talented than a whole lot of people.

Read my post.

It doesn't matter how many people she ISN'T better than, what matters is how many people she IS better than, and technically...she's an excellent pianist. She's technically excellent.

I didn't say there wasn't any people better, I simply said you're not giving her enough credit.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

Old Post Jan 19th, 2007 01:49 PM
vanice
traceur

How about Bill Evans, Keith Jarret, or Chick Corea, Or Herbie Hancock, OR McCoy Tyner.

How come none of these are on the list? Out of these Oscar Peterson, definitely..

Old Post Jan 19th, 2007 03:40 PM
vanice is currently offline Click here to Send vanice a Private Message Find more posts by vanice Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nellinator
Crazy Canuck

Read my post.

It doesn't matter how many people she ISN'T better than, what matters is how many people she IS better than, and technically...she's an excellent pianist. She's technically excellent.

I didn't say there wasn't any people better, I simply said you're not giving her enough credit.

-AC

She is technically good, not excellent.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsLpMDUJAfM
This 89 year old man is technically WAY more technically adept. Watch at the 1:03 minute and 3:30 minute marks so you don't have to watch the whole thing. This is considered technically very good, not excellent as he is too old to play with the excellence he once had. Tori Amos is not anywhere near this Rubinstein's league.
quote:
How about Bill Evans, Keith Jarret, or Chick Corea, Or Herbie Hancock, OR McCoy Tyner.
I ran out of options, I was just trying to give some of my ideas. I'd say Bill Evans is the best out of the ones you mentioned. I personally hold Art Tatum to be the greatest jazz pianist to ever live and one of the two best ever with Rubinstein.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uzj6Q61h3oA
Around the 34 second mark he is just amazing and the end is even better.

Old Post Jan 19th, 2007 11:44 PM
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

Why do you keep retorting with "But she isn't better than...", or "This man is way technically better."?

That's not the point I'm making. I'm not saying she's the best, I'm saying she's technically brilliant, not that she's the best or that there are none better.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

Old Post Jan 20th, 2007 06:53 AM
Nellinator
Crazy Canuck

She is not technically brilliant if she can't play at the speed and difficulty that several hundred people can play at. Therefore, she is technically good, but not brilliant. Tori Amos is interesting emotionally and lyrically and a very good songwriter, but she is not an amazing piano player that shocks me with skill, especially when I can play everything she has ever done, but don't even bother trying the arrangements the people I mentioned would do. This is like saying that Billie Joe is technically brilliant at guitar when that is simply not true when technical brilliance is defined by people like Malmsteen.

Old Post Jan 20th, 2007 08:33 AM
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Nellinator
She is not technically brilliant if she can't play at the speed and difficulty that several hundred people can play at. Therefore, she is technically good, but not brilliant. Tori Amos is interesting emotionally and lyrically and a very good songwriter, but she is not an amazing piano player that shocks me with skill, especially when I can play everything she has ever done, but don't even bother trying the arrangements the people I mentioned would do. This is like saying that Billie Joe is technically brilliant at guitar when that is simply not true when technical brilliance is defined by people like Malmsteen.

What kind of retard logic is that? That's like saying someone who runs the 100mtrs sprint in 10 seconds isn't really fast just because people can run it in 9.

It doesn't matter if she shocks you with skill or not, she's a technically brilliant player, this doesn't change just because there are people more technically adept than her.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

Old Post Jan 20th, 2007 09:06 AM
Dr. Leg Kick
Aesculapius

out of that list, i would say Sergei Rachmaninoff.

off topic, but best violinist in my opinion is Paganini.

Life is short and the art long, the occasion instant, experiment perilous, decision difficult.

Old Post Jan 20th, 2007 09:21 AM
Dr. Leg Kick is currently offline Click here to Send Dr. Leg Kick a Private Message Find more posts by Dr. Leg Kick Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kram3r

What kind of retard logic is that?
-AC

Hahahaha, I must say, AC = FTW.

Old Post Jan 20th, 2007 01:31 PM
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

Well come on.

"She is not technically brilliant if she can't play at the speed and difficulty that several hundred people can play at. ".

Never mind the fact that she can play better than way more than several hundred people, there's probably millions of people she is better than, millions. Yet, somehow, she isn't technically brilliant because there are better people.

It just doesn't make sense.

"I saw a Porsche yesterday, it was blisteringly fast.", "No it wasn't.", "Why?", "Cos rockets are faster.".

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

Old Post Jan 20th, 2007 03:32 PM