KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Music Discussion » Why all the pop hate?

Why all the pop hate?
Started by: EPIIIBITES

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (11): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
EPIIIBITES
Restricted

Account Restricted

Why all the pop hate?

I find it kinda weird how so many people in here diss pop music. And I'm talking about your typical pop music, not simply bands that play on popular radio like My Chemical Romance (who IMO are more s*%# than most pop acts out there today).

Really, this has mostly to do with people just being afraid of associating themselves with pop songs or artists because of the bad rap (and often rightfully so) they've gotten in the past.

But this "pop sucks" attitude has just become old, and as far as I've seen it's usually people who show insecurities when talking about bands they like, and who don't seem to have the abilities to know what good music is.

There's good music in pretty much every genre, but when it comes to pop, people so smugly brush it aside. Lame.

Just off the top of my head, Destiny's Child, Justin Timberlake, Lily Allen, Nelly Furtado, Sean Paul, Missy Elliot, Avril Lavigne, Black Eyes Peas, and Madonna have all laid down some solid pop tracks over recent years. Granted they probably have shitty albums, but they do what they do best and give us a couple songs each like "Get Busy", "Don't Phunk with My Heart", "Bootylicious", "Smile", "Music", or "Like I Love You" that we can listen to for a couple weeks and then forget about.

Sure it's pop...but it's not all that bad.

Last edited by EPIIIBITES on Apr 16th, 2007 at 06:46 AM

Old Post Apr 16th, 2007 06:31 AM
EPIIIBITES is currently offline Click here to Send EPIIIBITES a Private Message Find more posts by EPIIIBITES Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nellinator
Crazy Canuck

Out of that list I admit to liking Avril Lavigne at times. I honestly hate everyone else in that list. I do like some pop artists though, like David Gray and James Blunt although far less than my other music.

Old Post Apr 16th, 2007 06:47 AM
Nellinator is currently offline Click here to Send Nellinator a Private Message Find more posts by Nellinator Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
EPIIIBITES
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Nellinator
I do like some pop artists though...although far less than my other music.
That, I agree with.

Go Canucks Go!

Last edited by EPIIIBITES on Apr 16th, 2007 at 06:53 AM

Old Post Apr 16th, 2007 06:49 AM
EPIIIBITES is currently offline Click here to Send EPIIIBITES a Private Message Find more posts by EPIIIBITES Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
EPIIIBITES
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Nellinator
Out of that list I admit to liking Avril Lavigne at times.

I'd say she's probably the weakest on that list in terms of hit singles..."I'm With You" and "Happy Ending" are good pop tunes, but the rest I'd say are mediocre...not horrible though (except for that latest one, "Girlfriend"...pretty darn weak).

Last edited by EPIIIBITES on Apr 16th, 2007 at 07:05 AM

Old Post Apr 16th, 2007 06:50 AM
manorastroman

because sean paul, destiny's child, avril lavigne and nelly furtado all suck pretty bad.

madonna (circa two decades ago), lily allen, justin timberlake, missy elliot, and the black eyed peas all have defendable qualities.

by the way, a good pop song isn't one you listen to for a couple weeks and forget about, it's one you listen to for a couple of weeks and NEVER forget about.

Old Post Apr 16th, 2007 07:13 AM
manorastroman is currently offline Click here to Send manorastroman a Private Message Find more posts by manorastroman Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

Re: Why all the pop hate?

Originally posted by EPIIIBITES
give us a couple songs each like "Get Busy", "Don't Phunk with My Heart", "Bootylicious", "Smile", "Music", or "Like I Love You" that we can listen to for a couple weeks and then forget about.

For one I don't think they do. It's mostly shit. And there are also the artists that give us songs we can listen to all our lives and never forget about....I dunno. Prefer those.

Old Post Apr 16th, 2007 08:52 AM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
vintageSW77
MANCUNIAN

most of todays pop stars are nothing but dancers more concerned with the "look" rather the product
product being the right term

Madonna is just a fad hopping shadow of her former self
she changes herself so much i think she no longer knows who the **** she is
whilst definatly being responsible for a lot of classic pop songs in the past nowadays she tries way too hard to keep up with"the kids" and trends hence Timbaland doing her next lp

Lily Allen is just some spoilt daddys girl playing the part of a ladette over backing tracks that were better suited to Terry Hall or Suggs circa 1979
and Sean Paul is hard work to listen to
****ing terrible
its music for the moronic
modern black culture and commercial dance has killed the pop song
its just music for chicks to try clothes on in Top Shop to
All they are is just a bunch of ****ing ringtone kings and queens

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPHBqi5Lv54

Last edited by vintageSW77 on Apr 16th, 2007 at 11:01 AM

Old Post Apr 16th, 2007 10:49 AM
vintageSW77 is currently offline Click here to Send vintageSW77 a Private Message Find more posts by vintageSW77 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
manorastroman

Originally posted by vintageSW77
most of todays pop stars are nothing but dancers more concerned with the "look" rather the product
product being the right term

Madonna is just a fad hopping shadow of her former self
she changes herself so much i think she no longer knows who the **** she is
whilst definatly being responsible for a lot of classic pop songs in the past nowadays she tries way too hard to keep up with"the kids" and trends hence Timbaland doing her next lp

Lily Allen is just some spoilt daddys girl playing the part of a ladette over backing tracks that were better suited to Terry Hall or Suggs circa 1979
and Sean Paul is hard work to listen to
****ing terrible
its music for the moronic
modern black culture and commercial dance has killed the pop song
All they are is just a bunch of ****ing ringtone kings and queens

i agree with much of this, except the lily allen bit. lady sovereign tried the daddy's girl angle and got taken down with a choicely worded comment. the girl's solid (at least i like her more than amy winehouse, the "other" brassy english pop star).

but modern black culture killing chart pop isn't so bad; now the pop underground is better than it's ever been. bands are drawing from tin pan alley, brill building, sunshine, twee, and just about every other phase of pop history.

Old Post Apr 16th, 2007 11:07 AM
manorastroman is currently offline Click here to Send manorastroman a Private Message Find more posts by manorastroman Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jaden101
Restricted

Account Restricted

i dislike pop music more for what it inspires rather than what it is...without the drivel of boy and girl band pop music we wouldn't have pop idol and the x factor...therefor we wouldn't have dancing on ice and strictly come dancing...and we would have the new fad of west end musical selection programmes such as "what to do about a problem like maria" and "any dream will do" and "grease the musical" that seem to be infecting tv

it encourages the lowest common denomenator of music...

it lowers an art form to a commercial commodity designed specifically to make money rather than to be a form of expression.

You come at the King, you best not miss!

Old Post Apr 16th, 2007 11:09 AM
jaden101 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden101 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden101 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
vintageSW77
MANCUNIAN

i have happened to be in close vicinity of Lily Allen years before she released a single and she was a major pain in the arse
i was lucky enough to attend at a party for Manc drug fiend Bez out of the Happy Mondays through my ex GFs fathers past connections with Factory records and the the late Rob Gretton a few years back and Lilly was there with her dad Keith Allen and i kid you not the also late JOE ****ING STRUMMER amongst a couple of minor mancunian celebs
she was nothing like she appears onstage
granted she was prob only 15 but what a tosspot

suddenly shes a street wise chick with a mockney accent
shes a faker

Last edited by vintageSW77 on Apr 16th, 2007 at 12:12 PM

Old Post Apr 16th, 2007 12:09 PM
vintageSW77 is currently offline Click here to Send vintageSW77 a Private Message Find more posts by vintageSW77 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
EPIIIBITES
Restricted

Account Restricted

I can't argue with pretty much anything that's been said. I'd be a fool to, becasue at the end of the day, I know how much I really despise pop music as a whole and how many times it's made me wanna throw something at the radio or tv becasue of how bad it can be.

Still, none of the artists I listed full out suck. If you guys can't see the difference between some of their hits, and...say...Britney Spears' hits, then I'd have to say you don't have a clue.

Last edited by EPIIIBITES on Apr 16th, 2007 at 01:47 PM

Old Post Apr 16th, 2007 01:37 PM
vintageSW77
MANCUNIAN

or just a total weariness of listening to pricks going on about how ****ing fantastic they are e.g Sean ****ing Diddy ****ing Jean or whatever name the dicks call him by this week
its all about RnB and **** all else is pop nowadays
even Gwen Stefani who i would say made a brilliant pop song in WHAT YOU WAITING FOR had to go and jump on the bandwagon and get that nightmare AKON involved in her latest track which from what i hear wasnt even worth the no dout shitload of $$$ she paid for the pleasure

im the wrong person to comment on RnB pop hip hop as i cant put into words how much i ****ing despise it
i cant stand back and say "surely some of it must be ok" because ive gone way beyond that
the majority of knobs who listen to it think it automatically associates themselves with a certain lifestyle
and thats one of the reasons i dislike it
its turned the majority of teens near where i live into wannabe gangstah arseholes
ive always disliked people blaming a pop culture element for kids bad behaviour but with these brain dead ****wits its totally justified

Last edited by vintageSW77 on Apr 16th, 2007 at 01:58 PM

Old Post Apr 16th, 2007 01:44 PM
EPIIIBITES
Restricted

Account Restricted

laughing Might just be.

Old Post Apr 16th, 2007 01:46 PM
jaden101
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by EPIIIBITES

Still, none of the artists I listed full out suck. If you guys can't see the difference between some of their hits, and...say...Britney Spears' hits, then I'd have to say you don't have a clue.

they aren't shit for what reason?...because the ones you listed try and put in little bits of more respectable genres into their pop music?

avril putting a little distortion in her guitars and painting her nails black...black eyed peas (who actually used to be pretty good pre "request line") days using tiny smatterings of their old hip hop

lily allen cause she sings with a stupid accent that garage and rnb artists in the UK use

how do these things mean they are less shit?...if anything it makes them more shit...at least full pop acts wear their shallow hearts on their sleeves and dont try to pretend they're something they're not.

Old Post Apr 16th, 2007 01:58 PM
jaden101 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden101 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden101 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
manorastroman

lily allen plain does not deserve do be lumped in with avril lavigne, regardless of her father or her personality at age fifteen. her music is leagues beyond avril/sean paul/destiny's child whathaveyou.

plus, she comes off fantastic in interviews.

and britney spears' "toxic" might be better than any song by any of the artists mentioned.

Old Post Apr 16th, 2007 02:14 PM
EPIIIBITES
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by jaden101
they aren't shit for what reason?

how do these things mean they are less shit?
They're not shit because they've all released solid pop tunes. I don't care if you agree because I think I know what constitutes good and crap music better than most anyone...that's just how I am. But I also know when to sometimes say, "I don't know if that's good or crap" regardless if I like it or not.

Don't think that just because you're on a board with people who talk about music, means you're talking to people who are good judges of music. Some people are better than others...that's just the way it is (and most often than not it's people who are musically inclined, which I'd say most people in here aren't).

As far as I've seen, most people who discuss their opinions here are still are at a point where they can't even separate the music they like from what they can admit is good or bad music. That tells me a lot about what level they're at in terms of being good judges of music.

So whatever...you're right...all these pop artists suck. Sure. We thank you for your contribution. You're exactly the kind of person I made this thread for.

Last edited by EPIIIBITES on Apr 16th, 2007 at 02:34 PM

Old Post Apr 16th, 2007 02:28 PM
vintageSW77
MANCUNIAN

Originally posted by manorastroman
plus, she comes off fantastic in interviews.

i watched her Planet rock Profile interview yesterday and ive seen a few others
she hasnt changed much
we have a phenomena in the uk where celebs deny their roots and adopt a fake mockney accent to appear street
we have shitloads of them
Lilly is one deffo
and her tunes are just Ska lite for those too young to remember
people go on as if shes doing something truly original just because she wears ball gowns,says a few rude words,smokes ****,swigs booze onstage and puts out a bit of Jools Holland style MOR wanky ska for people who dont remember The Belle Stars
shes not so far off from her hated Paris Hiltons UB40 tribute track from last year

she doesnt give much thought to her fans either with her recent cancelation of her mini tour "because shes bored of singing the same songs and misses her boyfriends couch"
JB must be turning in his grave

Last edited by vintageSW77 on Apr 16th, 2007 at 02:48 PM

Old Post Apr 16th, 2007 02:37 PM
EPIIIBITES
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by manorastroman
and britney spears' "toxic" might be better than any song by any of the artists mentioned.

I'd say by far that's got to be the best thing she's done, but I think it's just trying to sound a lot cooler than it is. Maybe it's the pretentious faux out-of-tune electro strings...or 'cause Brittney's singing it and she's the biggest dork to ever hit the pop scene that I can't by her delivery. I don't know. It's just nerdy.

Like the video though wink

Old Post Apr 16th, 2007 02:42 PM
jaden101
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote:
They're not shit because they've all released solid pop tunes. I don't care if you agree because I think I know what constitutes good music better than most anyone...that's just how I am.

i'm glad you have a high opinion of yourself...

quote:
Don't think that just because you're on a board with people who talk about music, means you're talking to people who are good judges of music.

you are a case in point

quote:
Some people are better than others...that's just the way it is (and most often than not it's people who are musically inclined, which I'd day most people in here aren't).

lucky for me that i know what i'm talking about then isn't it?

now i'm not saying there isn't good pop music because there is...Michael Jackson, Elton John, Basement Jaxx...many more besides...all geared toward pop...all have genuinly good tunes...

but for the most part, modern pop is uninspired and uninspiring drivel...which spawns more drivel

sometimes this is promoted by good artists...i like the streets...but Lily Allen and Just Jack wouldn't be on the scene if it wasn't for Mike Skinner's success...it called cashing in...and far too many people fall for it...even ones who claim to be good judges of music...apparently

Old Post Apr 16th, 2007 02:46 PM
manorastroman

i watched her Planet rock Profile interview yesterday and ive seen a few others
she hasnt changed much
we have a phenomena in the uk where celebs deny their roots and adopt a fake mockney accent to appear street
we have shitloads of them
Lilly is one deffo
and her tunes are just Ska lite for those too young to remember
people go on as if shes doing something truly original just because she wears ball gowns,says a few rude words,smokes ****,swigs booze onstage and puts out a bit of Jools Holland style MOR wanky ska for people who dont remember The Belle Stars
shes not so far off from her hated Paris Hiltons UB40 tribute track from last year

she doesnt give much thought to her fans either with her recent cancelation of her mini tour "because shes bored of singing the same songs and misses her boyfriends couch"
JB must be turning in his grave

calling her ska-lite is kind of weird--did i say weird? i meant way off base. she has some raga beat and horns, but really...

and frankly, i don't care if her persona is phony. it's not like i'll ever meet her. i'm content with her complete annihilation of lady sovereign and those LILY ALLEN! adverts. she has solid songs and she seems like fun. i want nothing else from a pop star.

Old Post Apr 16th, 2007 02:53 PM