KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Music Discussion » Describe Metal.

Describe Metal.
Started by: mikeydude

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
mikeydude
Cleveland is the Reason.

Describe Metal.

Obviously there are alot of diffrent types of metal.

Now, what bands do you classify as metal, metalcore, hardcore, hair metal, thrash..... yada yada.

Old Post May 31st, 2010 05:46 AM
mikeydude is currently offline Click here to Send mikeydude a Private Message Find more posts by mikeydude Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
RedAlertv2

Metal as I understand it is basically descended from rock, and is similar to rock only more aggressive, heavier, and more technically complex. I don't know much about sub-genres, I usually just describe bands as simply "metal." Occasionally I'll use the terms progressive or alternative Metal for bands like Between the Buried and Me or System of a Down. And I use the word metalcore to describe some bands but lately I've been feeling like a lot of bands that get called metalcore could just as easily fit under the broader description of metal.

How Could Hell Be Any Worse?

Old Post Jun 1st, 2010 12:21 AM
RedAlertv2 is currently offline Click here to Send RedAlertv2 a Private Message Find more posts by RedAlertv2 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
colossulrage

One word....METALLICA...NUFF SAID

Old Post Jun 3rd, 2010 03:57 AM
colossulrage is currently offline Click here to Send colossulrage a Private Message Find more posts by colossulrage Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AsbestosFlaygon
The Original One

Two words:

Blue Cheer.

"Farewell, Damos... Ash, Pikachu... And you. All of my beloved." -- Arceus

Old Post Jun 5th, 2010 08:46 PM
AsbestosFlaygon is currently offline Click here to Send AsbestosFlaygon a Private Message Find more posts by AsbestosFlaygon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dr. Leg Kick
Aesculapius

Not really a fan of the genre, but Opeth will always have rotation value.

Life is short and the art long, the occasion instant, experiment perilous, decision difficult.

Old Post Jun 5th, 2010 09:43 PM
Dr. Leg Kick is currently offline Click here to Send Dr. Leg Kick a Private Message Find more posts by Dr. Leg Kick Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NemeBro

Metal is generally seen to originate with early 70s bands such as Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, and Deep Purple who pioneered a heavier style of Rock with Blues elements. It is Judas Priest who were the first to remove most of the Blues elements in the genre and create a completely distinct sound, in this way they can be argued as being the originators of what would be called Heavy Metal, though this is subjective. Thrash Metal is generally seen to have been created with the Big Four of the genre, Metallica, Megadeth (Lead by former Metallica guitarist Dave Mustaine), Slayer, and Anthrax, and is known for aggression, and complex guitar riffs and fast, shredding solos. Hair Metal is basically the diet coke of Metal, it is soft Metal. Dun't really know much about Hardcore, but Metalcore is a combination of both it and Metal, other than that cannot really say much about it. Just what I can recall off the top of my head.

Those are just t3h genres you asked for.

As for bands that would be considered Metal, well, Black Sabbath obviously, Led Zeppelin are often considered to be, Judas Priest in my honest opinion is the definition of Metal, and Metallica is pretty much the poster-boy for Thrash. Motley Cru is prolly the definitive Hair/Glam Metal band. Metalcore is stuff like Hatebreed I guess.

Old Post Jun 8th, 2010 11:53 PM
NemeBro is currently offline Click here to Send NemeBro a Private Message Find more posts by NemeBro Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Slay
Skyhighatrist

I always figured metalcore was just a more melodic form of hardcore incorporating double-bass drums tot their sound. I don't think Hatebreed are metalcore. More like Unearth or early Caliban.

Old Post Jun 9th, 2010 04:12 PM
Slay is currently offline Click here to Send Slay a Private Message Find more posts by Slay Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AsbestosFlaygon
The Original One

Hatebreed is purely Post-Hardcore.

Metalcore is a lot more melodic than hardcore.

As I Lay Dying, August Burns Red, current Killswitch Engage, and Heaven Shall Burn are good examples of bands in the Metalcore genre.

"Farewell, Damos... Ash, Pikachu... And you. All of my beloved." -- Arceus

Old Post Jun 10th, 2010 09:49 AM
AsbestosFlaygon is currently offline Click here to Send AsbestosFlaygon a Private Message Find more posts by AsbestosFlaygon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
icecold707

1 word gay enough said actually i wanna say more but i think what i said in the eminem suck thread is enough for a lifetime i could quote it or copy n paste or watever but it doesnt really matter to me

Old Post Aug 7th, 2010 09:46 AM
icecold707 is currently offline Click here to Send icecold707 a Private Message Find more posts by icecold707 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
uniqueweasel

I find these sub genres, etc hard to fathom so I just find a good rule of thumb is to just listen to what you like and don't worry about labelling it, then you can't go wrong!!

Old Post Aug 10th, 2010 12:57 PM
uniqueweasel is currently offline Click here to Send uniqueweasel a Private Message Find more posts by uniqueweasel Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Thee smit

Out of interest what would dream theater or tool be labelled under?

Old Post Aug 10th, 2010 03:06 PM
Thee smit is currently offline Click here to Send Thee smit a Private Message Find more posts by Thee smit Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Eon Blue
Restricted

Account Restricted

Loud guitars, fast drums, annoying vocals.

I will never be a memory.

Old Post Aug 10th, 2010 09:40 PM
Eon Blue is currently offline Click here to Send Eon Blue a Private Message Find more posts by Eon Blue Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Markness

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Thee smit
Out of interest what would dream theater or tool be labelled under?

Dream Theater's pretty much the quintessential progressive metal band and whatever Tool can be labelled is a matter of contention. Some say prog metal, others say prog rock, or just "alternative". They have a lot of genre bending so there is no solid answer.

quote: (post)
Originally posted by AsbestosFlaygon
current Killswitch Engage

Why not old KsE? They've been considered metalcore for as long as I can remember.

Old Post Aug 11th, 2010 04:05 AM
Markness is currently offline Click here to Send Markness a Private Message Find more posts by Markness Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote