KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Music Discussion » 2000-2009 - Worst Music Decade Ever

2000-2009 - Worst Music Decade Ever
Started by: OB1-adobe

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
OB1-adobe

2000-2009 - Worst Music Decade Ever

This thread is gonna open a can of worms, most/some of you will think I'm a total idiot. tHIS ISN'T RANT (well not totally) its just something i've noticed in my 30 years of exsitence

This topic is about the mainstream in general, and what it is now.

First off I love music from 50's till now, but something has gone bad here

There has been some awsome music this decade, problem is most of it has been from already established acts or artist, from the previous decade or from new bands few have heard of.

It was great to see Metallica come out with a really good record after so many years of getting shit on by there own fans. Mastonon and Isis are great new heavy bands. Perfect circle is/was just awesome.

BUt do you guys remember the 1990's? How many amazing bands came out of that decade or trailed in from the late 80's as nobodies and broke through? How many of them are considered extememly influential, and considered legends? How many of them blew peoples minds, became huge, and are still loved today as if they are recent new acts:

Pantera
Nirvana
Soundgarden
Pearl Jam
Stone Temple Pilots
Smashing Pumpkins
Tool
Rage Against the Machine
Primus
Red Hot chili peppers (might be late 80's)
Korn (like first two albums, hate the rest)
Nine Inch nails
RadioHead
Alice in Chains
Beck
sublime

and kind of the underground metal level at the time:
Type O negative
Machine head
Fear Factory

The list continues.............

Where has that been the last 10 years?

I'm talking like a band came out or rose from the underground and was like headlining arena, and red rocks (best venue ever)? The members being listed in guitar magazines as most influential ever, or that kind of crap.

What have we had in the last decade?

..............................Cold Play maybe?

..............................Death cab for Cutie maybe?

..............................King of leone.........maybe not

Here's where I stand on the soap box and say these people are genuine shit. Crap we have been forced fed to endure since 1999 or so (1996 was when maintream things started to go bad), and partiall the reaosn why the constant acces to your own music library at any given time becuase nobody want this shit anymore in there car, on there televison, or walking through a store:

Disturbed
Godsmack
Fall out boy
N'snync
Backstreet boys
Christina aquilera
Nickel back
five finger death punch
Ricky Martin
Limp bizkit
britney spears
Creed
saliva
Kid rock
spice girls
james blunt
Good charlotte
Slipknot (started off bad ass, then became A hole pleasure for radio)
Linkin Park (a lot potential in the beginnning, very talented, ditched what was unique about them and went lame by their third record)
Static-x (same reason as above)
Daniel Powter
power man 5000
Papa roach
three days grace
Bullet for my valentine
Puddle of mudd
avril Lavign
and the total absence of any decent hip hop

The most irritating, poser, generic, uninspired decade in history

Old Post Jun 8th, 2010 03:20 AM
OB1-adobe is currently offline Click here to Send OB1-adobe a Private Message Find more posts by OB1-adobe Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

Totally agreed...if it wasn't for Kathy Perry and Lady Gaga the decade could have been saved. Nope...not a chance...however, this decade won't be blamed on MTV and VH1...we can all agreed that Youtube is to be blamed this time...thanks a lot for promoting those female clowns.

CHOCOLATE RAIN!!!!

Old Post Jun 8th, 2010 03:31 AM
WanderingDroid is currently offline Click here to Send WanderingDroid a Private Message Find more posts by WanderingDroid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bat Dude
In God I Trust

There's not much good music because they know they have people in the palm of their hand. They know that people will buy and listen to whatever the media tells them to.

18-35 males will listen to nu-metal, gangster rap, etc.

13-18 girls will listen to the Jonas Brothers, GaGa, Katy Perry, etc.

Everyone else will listen to their own specific "tailor made" music and fall in line...

To hell with creativity and effort. Let's just use the same 3 chords in every song and edit people's vocals to make them sound robotic and fake... that's cool, right?

Old Post Jun 8th, 2010 03:54 AM
Bat Dude is currently offline Click here to Send Bat Dude a Private Message Find more posts by Bat Dude Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
RedAlertv2

Maybe you guys should a) stop living in the 80s and b) start searching for good music on your own, instead of looking at the picture painted by TV shows and assuming that they represent all music. If you can't see how dense of a viewpoint that is, , basing your opinion of modern music on such a small window of reference, it's really your own fault. There is lot's of good contemporary music out there. You just have to be willing to look for it.

I'm not saying there aren't a lot of TERRIBLE musicians (I use the term musicians very loosely) out there right now. There are, but they represent only a small fraction of the modern music scene, you can't write off a whole decade just because of a few bad apples. Your beloved 80's and 90's had their share of garbage too.

How Could Hell Be Any Worse?

Last edited by RedAlertv2 on Jun 8th, 2010 at 04:33 AM

Old Post Jun 8th, 2010 04:30 AM
RedAlertv2 is currently offline Click here to Send RedAlertv2 a Private Message Find more posts by RedAlertv2 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
OB1-adobe

quote: (post)
Originally posted by RedAlertv2
Maybe you guys should a) stop living in the 80s and b) start searching for good music on your own, instead of looking at the picture painted by TV shows and assuming that they represent all music. If you can't see how dense of a viewpoint that is, , basing your opinion of modern music on such a small window of reference, it's really your own fault. There is lot's of good contemporary music out there. You just have to be willing to look for it.

I'm not saying there aren't a lot of TERRIBLE musicians (I use the term musicians very loosely) out there right now. There are, but they represent only a small fraction of the modern music scene, you can't write off a whole decade just because of a few bad apples. Your beloved 80's and 90's had their share of garbage too.

Shut up and get out.

You clearly missed the point I was making.

I clearly said that there is great music out there today, but it is unfortunate how it is from bands that have already been around for while or stuff that is totally underground.

My point about the 90's is how it was the last decade that great, new, groundbreaking, influential, original was shit at the forefront a bieng show cased for everyone to hear. Like mainstream music was actually GOOD music, and good muscians. And there was good reason why they are popular.

Stuff now is just what is marketable, slap a sticker on it, sell it.

10 current bands on rock radio that sound EXACTLY the same.

Nobody sticks out, nobody will last, 2000-2009 wil be remembered as stale, bought & sold, image music.

We Got nothing new

the last decade HAS been nothing but picture painted garbage.

great music out there that few get to hear

Its a terrible thing

Last edited by OB1-adobe on Jun 8th, 2010 at 04:57 AM

Old Post Jun 8th, 2010 04:54 AM
OB1-adobe is currently offline Click here to Send OB1-adobe a Private Message Find more posts by OB1-adobe Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
RedAlertv2

All those complaints you have about this current decade can be applied to the 90's as well.

Old Post Jun 8th, 2010 05:06 AM
RedAlertv2 is currently offline Click here to Send RedAlertv2 a Private Message Find more posts by RedAlertv2 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SnakeEyes
Connoisseur

People still listen to the radio?

A lot of my favorite artists/bands have been formed within this past decade.

I would argue that, with the advent of the Internet and sites like last.fm, Pandora, Amazon, even Myspace and Wikipedia, not to mention things like iTunes, legal and illegal downloading, etc; it's even EASIER now to find/listen to quality music than ever before.

The majority of what's popular on the radio is garbage despite the decade - but like I said, who gives a shit about the radio anymore anyway?

"Nothing is ever as good as you can imagine it."

Old Post Jun 8th, 2010 06:13 AM
SnakeEyes is currently offline Click here to Send SnakeEyes a Private Message Find more posts by SnakeEyes Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Slay
Skyhighatrist

This has actually been one of my favourite musical decades along with to the 60's and 90's. The fact that you're too lazy to search for music yourselves doesn't mean it has been a bad decade musically.

Also, there was some good ''mainstream'' music in the 90's as you mentioned but it also had The Spice Girls, Backstreet Boys, Ace of Bass etc. Just like the eighties had Madonna, Ultavox and Nick Kershaw etc.

The 00's had great bands like The White Stripes and Queens of the Stone Age breaking through to a mainstream audience and having plenty of air-time but also had Nickelback and Soulja' Boy. A musical decade like any other.

Besides, you added a lot of 90's bands to your list of bad 00' bands and a lot of the bands you added to your list of great 90's band haven't actually known any 'mainstream' succes such as Tool, or Soundgarden and Alice in Chains except for one hit single.

You're extremely exaggerating your point.

Last edited by Slay on Jun 8th, 2010 at 01:56 PM

Old Post Jun 8th, 2010 01:46 PM
Slay is currently offline Click here to Send Slay a Private Message Find more posts by Slay Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bat Dude
In God I Trust

Originally posted by SnakeEyes
People still listen to the radio?

A lot of my favorite artists/bands have been formed within this past decade.

I would argue that, with the advent of the Internet and sites like last.fm, Pandora, Amazon, even Myspace and Wikipedia, not to mention things like iTunes, legal and illegal downloading, etc; it's even EASIER now to find/listen to quality music than ever before.

The majority of what's popular on the radio is garbage despite the decade - but like I said, who gives a shit about the radio anymore anyway?

I would never suggest illegal downloading to anyone.

As for the rest of your post, well, it's more than that. I think it tells you a lot about our culture when you turn on the radio and that garbage is playing (mostly on modern rap, pop, and rock stations) There's a lot of good stations left, like classic rock and AOR stations, but even those are fading away.

A few great acts tend to at least find some sort of mainstream success anyway, but this decade, we really haven't seen much of that. And again, I think that tells you a lot about the way our culture is nowadays. I'm not saying you can't find good music from today, I'm just saying that the good music is hidden really well, when in every other decade before this one, you could at least see it from a mainstream perspective. Metallica was not a mainstream band yet they were on the Billboard Top selling albums in 1984. It wasn't completely unknown to the mainstream public, it was a tiny little blip on the radar. Now you don't see the blip if you don't hunt for it. While it wasn't necessarily easier to FIND back then (we have Pandora and the internet in general, etc.), t was easier to SEE, imo (Metallica, Faith No More, etc. selling lots of albums before they actually became mainstream).

It tells you a lot about our culture... and I don't like what it's telling me.

Old Post Jun 8th, 2010 05:51 PM
Bat Dude is currently offline Click here to Send Bat Dude a Private Message Find more posts by Bat Dude Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Jello
Cheese Spelunker

Well, at least everyone awesome reunited. Except the Dead Kennedys-that was some weak shit. You suck, East Bay Ray.

Wonder when will it'll all be over...
Living in a void when the void grows colder...
Wonder when it'll all be over?
Will you be laughing when it's over?

Old Post Jun 9th, 2010 03:15 AM
Darth Jello is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Jello a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Jello Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
RedAlertv2

Originally posted by Bat Dude
I would never suggest illegal downloading to anyone.

As for the rest of your post, well, it's more than that. I think it tells you a lot about our culture when you turn on the radio and that garbage is playing (mostly on modern rap, pop, and rock stations) There's a lot of good stations left, like classic rock and AOR stations, but even those are fading away.

A few great acts tend to at least find some sort of mainstream success anyway, but this decade, we really haven't seen much of that. And again, I think that tells you a lot about the way our culture is nowadays. I'm not saying you can't find good music from today, I'm just saying that the good music is hidden really well, when in every other decade before this one, you could at least see it from a mainstream perspective. Metallica was not a mainstream band yet they were on the Billboard Top selling albums in 1984. It wasn't completely unknown to the mainstream public, it was a tiny little blip on the radar. Now you don't see the blip if you don't hunt for it. While it wasn't necessarily easier to FIND back then (we have Pandora and the internet in general, etc.), t was easier to SEE, imo (Metallica, Faith No More, etc. selling lots of albums before they actually became mainstream).

It tells you a lot about our culture... and I don't like what it's telling me.
No good bands have had mainstream success? What do you say about Radiohead, Muse, the White Stripes, Tool, Queens of the Stone Age, the Foo Fighters, Weezer, and so on? Lot's of what I would consider to be highly talented bands have enjoyed commercial success in this decade. And I'm not sure what you mean when you say Metallica aren't a mainstream band, they're a household name, and certainly not a "tiny blip."

Good music isn't "hidden." Good bands didn't start crawling under rocks at the turn of the millenium. They're still out there, trying to get noticed, and no amount of oversaturation of shitty mainstream acts changes that.

I think it says a lot more about our culture that you could sit there, in an age when music is far more accessible and available than ever before, and actually complain about the way things are.

Old Post Jun 9th, 2010 04:21 AM
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

Seems I forgot some other person in my earlier post.

2000-2009 WORSE Decade in music. One name:

Miley Cyrus.

[/thread]

Old Post Jun 9th, 2010 04:26 AM
WanderingDroid is currently offline Click here to Send WanderingDroid a Private Message Find more posts by WanderingDroid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AsbestosFlaygon
The Original One

Spot on bro. Spot on.

Miley Cyrus, Ester Dean, Lady GaGa, Katy Perry... these hoes are ruining the entire music industry.

Not to mention 90% of the (c)rap music scene and 100% of the emofag scene.

Emofag bands have influenced just about everyone in the Western world...
Everyone's got that Justin Bieber-looking hairstyle and tight jeans, which prove that most men nowadays don't have any ballz.

"Farewell, Damos... Ash, Pikachu... And you. All of my beloved." -- Arceus

Old Post Jun 9th, 2010 05:06 AM
AsbestosFlaygon is currently offline Click here to Send AsbestosFlaygon a Private Message Find more posts by AsbestosFlaygon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
LLLLLink
The Juror of Courage

Originally posted by AsbestosFlaygon

Emofag bands have influenced just about everyone in the Western world...
Everyone's got that Justin Bieber-looking hairstyle and tight jeans, which prove that most men nowadays don't have any ballz.

^ This.

Old Post Jun 9th, 2010 05:36 AM
LLLLLink is currently offline Click here to Send LLLLLink a Private Message Find more posts by LLLLLink Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
OB1-adobe

No good bands have had mainstream success? What do you say about Radiohead, Muse, the White Stripes, Tool, Queens of the Stone Age, the Foo Fighters, Weezer, and so on? Lot's of what I would consider to be highly talented bands have enjoyed commercial success in this decade.

90's dude, Tool, Foo fighters and Radiohead those bands came out in the 90's.

96 aenima came out, and like 97 everyone was all about Ok computer.

Again you don't understand the point thats being made here.

As for Bat Dude, Thank YOU! You understand it very well.

Old Post Jun 9th, 2010 01:32 PM
Bat Dude
In God I Trust

No good bands have had mainstream success? What do you say about Radiohead, Muse, the White Stripes, Tool, Queens of the Stone Age, the Foo Fighters, Weezer, and so on? Lot's of what I would consider to be highly talented bands have enjoyed commercial success in this decade. And I'm not sure what you mean when you say Metallica aren't a mainstream band, they're a household name, and certainly not a "tiny blip."

Good music isn't "hidden." Good bands didn't start crawling under rocks at the turn of the millenium. They're still out there, trying to get noticed, and no amount of oversaturation of shitty mainstream acts changes that.

I think it says a lot more about our culture that you could sit there, in an age when music is far more accessible and available than ever before, and actually complain about the way things are.

Wow, way to go and NOT read my post at all... roll eyes (sarcastic)

I said that, and I quote, "A few great acts tend to at least find some sort of mainstream success anyway, but this decade, we really haven't seen much of that." Obviously, I'm saying that the great acts are still there, they just don't get as much recognition NOW as they did back then. Again, I bring up the example of Faith No More and Metallica, who were not "mainstream" acts until really the early 90s, yet they got tons of recognition on the radio beforehand. You're not seeing that much these days.

That has nothing to do with the quality of music today, it has more to do with the state of the music industry itself. And again, I didn't say it wasn't easy to FIND good bands in this decade, I said it wasn't easy to SEE good bands in this decade. What I mean by that is that you don't see them from a "non-underground" perspective. You have to be into that music to "see" its presence, if that makes any sense, when before you knew who Metallica and Faith No More (in the early-to-late 80s) and the British punk bands (in the early 70s), etc. were before they were "cool" (mainstream) even if you didn't even like them (again, that goes back to not getting proper recognition)

Does that make my post clearer?

Old Post Jun 9th, 2010 03:59 PM
FistOfThe North

wow, you know, same thing goes for rap. 00-09 has been the worst decade for the genre ever.

it's all about making money now. nowadays the majority of the time a label will sign someone that looks cool and or cute or bad girl or bad boy lookin', regardless of skill or talent, over someone truley talented because the former will sell more. all they have to do is manufacture the product to the bases liking and you got a grand slam while laughing all the way to the bank.

that's why i mostly stay listening to 90's rap (and sometimes 80's pop) (i sometimes even listen to 50's 60's 70's music of all types, as well -except for country-

but i 100% agree. (and i thought i was the only one whom thought this) but this decade has failed with music. some music like some r&b songs and some of kanye west's stuff was aight in this decade, but other than that, stuff like lil wayne, drake, 50 cent, all these diva videos and mid-west/southern crunk music are all sh*t.

but damn, i hadn't known it spread across the board, though.

- Darth Plagueis

Old Post Jun 9th, 2010 05:41 PM
FistOfThe North is currently offline Click here to Send FistOfThe North a Private Message Find more posts by FistOfThe North Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
REXXXX
Networking

Originally posted by Darth Jello
Well, at least everyone awesome reunited. Except the Dead Kennedys-that was some weak shit. You suck, East Bay Ray.

Yeah, that has been a huge trend for the '00s. Glad I'm not the only one that noticed it.

I think the general consensus is that it hasn't been a bad decade of music, but a bad decade FOR music. The radio is spewing less and less of the good stuff, that I'll agree with. You just need to find good stations but most are going to want to play what is popular, and what is popular is not always great.

But there has been a great deal of good stuff in the last decade, so I don't know what you're talking about, Ob1. I can tell you're into metal and grunge and along those lines... maybe you mean specifically for that genre? Coldplay and Death Cab, which you mentioned, were primarily the last decade, having started in '99 both. Linkin Park, VAST, White Stripes, The Shins, The Strokes, Belle & Sebastian, Brendan Benson, Incubus, Modest Mouse... all from the last decade, and of course there is much more.

I guess it just depends on your preferences.

Old Post Jun 9th, 2010 06:02 PM
REXXXX is currently offline Click here to Send REXXXX a Private Message Find more posts by REXXXX Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Slay
Skyhighatrist

Anyway, I'd brace myself for the next decade if I were you, as it's only going to get worse. Maybe just don't listen to the radio or watch MTV anymore and you'll experience it as a great decade for music like I did with the last one.

Old Post Jun 9th, 2010 06:16 PM
Slay is currently offline Click here to Send Slay a Private Message Find more posts by Slay Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AsbestosFlaygon
The Original One

Yeah, I used to watch MTV more back in the 90's.

With the start of the new millenium, I gradually stopped watching MTV and listening to the radio altogether.

"Farewell, Damos... Ash, Pikachu... And you. All of my beloved." -- Arceus

Old Post Jun 9th, 2010 08:17 PM
AsbestosFlaygon is currently offline Click here to Send AsbestosFlaygon a Private Message Find more posts by AsbestosFlaygon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote