KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Music Discussion » Do You Like Live Albums?

Do You Like Live Albums?
Started by: SnakeEyes

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
SnakeEyes
Connoisseur

Do You Like Live Albums?

For the most part, I don't really like listening to live albums from artists, unless it's a particularly good recording/set and I'm a big fan of the artist, or if it's an acoustic set.

What are your thoughts on live records/albums?

Share some favorites if you have any, or if you don't like 'em, tell us why.

"Nothing is ever as good as you can imagine it."

Old Post Sep 15th, 2010 10:59 PM
SnakeEyes is currently offline Click here to Send SnakeEyes a Private Message Find more posts by SnakeEyes Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ESB -1138
Sonic Speed

One of my favorite live albums is Billy Joel's Songs in the Attic. He's one of the few artists I can think of that sounds better live than in the studio. For the most part it really depends on the artist and songs on the album. I mean for the most part Songs in the Attic was kind of a smart live album as it didn't contain any hits people were familiar live but instead tried to introduce the people to lesser known songs which is something I think many artists try to do with their live shows.

Old Post Sep 16th, 2010 10:31 AM
ESB -1138 is currently offline Click here to Send ESB -1138 a Private Message Find more posts by ESB -1138 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JacopeX
Restricted

Account Restricted

Some are pretty epic. Like old MTV unplugged shows, Rush in Rio, Queen in Montreal, and many others that I can't think of right now.

The more you question it, the less you will understand.

Old Post Sep 16th, 2010 12:12 PM
JacopeX is currently offline Click here to Send JacopeX a Private Message Find more posts by JacopeX Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dr. Leg Kick
Aesculapius

quote: (post)
Originally posted by JacopeX
Some are pretty epic. Like old MTV unplugged shows, Rush in Rio, Queen in Montreal, and many others that I can't think of right now.
Not sure about those, but 'Go **** Yourself' was a pretty good live album.

Life is short and the art long, the occasion instant, experiment perilous, decision difficult.

Old Post Sep 16th, 2010 06:15 PM
Dr. Leg Kick is currently offline Click here to Send Dr. Leg Kick a Private Message Find more posts by Dr. Leg Kick Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StyleTime

Typically, I dislike live albums; however, I have heard some that were quite pleasant.

12:5 by Pain of Salvation is an example of one that I actually liked.

Old Post Sep 16th, 2010 06:45 PM
StyleTime is currently offline Click here to Send StyleTime a Private Message Find more posts by StyleTime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tptmanno1
Life Ponder-er

Live albums, if done well can be really awesome, but the sound and the band has to be on. Nothing worse than a live album with crappy sound

Take Bloodbath. Their live at Waken album is easily one of their best, because they are so damn good, and the production value is amazing. (Its also a great DVD)

Old Post Sep 18th, 2010 12:46 AM
Tptmanno1 is currently offline Click here to Send Tptmanno1 a Private Message Find more posts by Tptmanno1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Doctor-Alvis
Post-Crisis Balki

Depends on the band. Some bands are awesome live. And sometimes they are terrible, which makes me sad as I imagine those bands trying to brute force the songs from the album together clip by clip.

Old Post Sep 21st, 2010 09:19 AM
Doctor-Alvis is currently offline Click here to Send Doctor-Alvis a Private Message Find more posts by Doctor-Alvis Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JacopeX
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Dr. Leg Kick
Not sure about those, but 'Go **** Yourself' was a pretty good live album.
Never heard of that one. happy

My curiosity has gone to me, though. Please enlighten me with some sample tracks.

Don't dissapoint me now. sad

Last edited by JacopeX on Sep 22nd, 2010 at 03:01 PM

Old Post Sep 22nd, 2010 02:56 PM
JacopeX is currently offline Click here to Send JacopeX a Private Message Find more posts by JacopeX Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dr. Leg Kick
Aesculapius

Never heard of that one. happy

My curiosity has gone to me, though. Please enlighten me with some sample tracks.

Don't dissapoint me now. sad

Track 5 is a must

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXVs...feature=related

Life is short and the art long, the occasion instant, experiment perilous, decision difficult.

Old Post Sep 22nd, 2010 06:47 PM
Dr. Leg Kick is currently offline Click here to Send Dr. Leg Kick a Private Message Find more posts by Dr. Leg Kick Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JacopeX
Restricted

Account Restricted

Track 5 is a must

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXVs...feature=related
Hey, i'm a big fan of Penn Gillette, but this remix sucked. It's probably difference in taste. erm

Old Post Sep 22nd, 2010 06:55 PM
MutantOrange

I like live albums that have been recorded well, and when the band does something different during the show, like an extended solo, an instrument battle or jam.

Old Post Sep 23rd, 2010 02:13 PM
MutantOrange is currently offline Click here to Send MutantOrange a Private Message Find more posts by MutantOrange Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
draxx_tOfU
Gundam Meister

Most of the time, if I already have the studio album or most of the songs, I tend not to buy the live versions. Few exceptions are Metallica's S&M and Alice in Chains Unplugged. I'm currently waiting for iTunes to release A7X live in the LBC...

Old Post Sep 23rd, 2010 04:40 PM
draxx_tOfU is currently offline Click here to Send draxx_tOfU a Private Message Find more posts by draxx_tOfU Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dr. Leg Kick
Aesculapius

Hey, i'm a big fan of Penn Gillette, but this remix sucked. It's probably difference in taste. erm
Scumbag^

Old Post Sep 24th, 2010 01:34 AM
NemeBro

I liked Judas Priest's Touch of Evil in particular, was an awesome live album.

Old Post Sep 24th, 2010 08:59 PM
NemeBro is currently offline Click here to Send NemeBro a Private Message Find more posts by NemeBro Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JacopeX
Restricted

Account Restricted

Scumbag^
^ doo doo head.

happy

Old Post Oct 5th, 2010 01:45 AM
K J H

Ive just got the MUSE Haarp Live at wembley album put it on full blast

AWESOME smile

Old Post Oct 16th, 2010 09:55 AM
K J H is currently offline Click here to Send K J H a Private Message Find more posts by K J H Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dr. Leg Kick
Aesculapius

^ doo doo head.

happy
I'm glad you've grown up a bit, but still the same pile of shit.

Old Post Oct 17th, 2010 01:43 AM
Dave_97
Party Dave

Rush in Rio.
Metallica s&m.
Blind Guardian Live.

live albums i enjoy.

Lazers_go_pew_pew_pew

Old Post Oct 17th, 2010 04:51 AM
Dave_97 is currently offline Click here to Send Dave_97 a Private Message Find more posts by Dave_97 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote