KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » New Guy Inquiry

New Guy Inquiry
Started by: Sparky12

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Sparky12

New Guy Inquiry

this is a little off key, but you guys would know. can someone recomend a good place to start start reading some SW novels? i read heir to the empire when i was nine, but never kept up with it. i'll have free time this summer, and was hoping for some good suggestions. thanx

Old Post Apr 25th, 2001 08:03 AM
Click here to Send Sparky12 a Private Message Find more posts by Sparky12 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jedi212guy
Sith Warrior

There are some though that you should not read. "The Crystal Star" is not only the worst Star Wars novel I had ever read, it is one of the worst overall novels I have ever read.

My advice: SKIP IT!! evil face

Old Post Apr 25th, 2001 06:33 PM
Click here to Send jedi212guy a Private Message Find more posts by jedi212guy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Oh, there's some pretty bad stuff out there... but I agree with Edna, Truce at Bakura is a good start.

That's 'chronology', by the way, my dear...

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Apr 25th, 2001 06:54 PM
Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Edna Witch
Magic

Geez gimme a break! Im allowed to make a typo once in a while! I missed the h! So sue me!

"This Party's Over" -Mace Windu, epII

Old Post Apr 25th, 2001 10:01 PM
Click here to Send Edna Witch a Private Message Find more posts by Edna Witch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

I went to a grammar school where I was taught to despise bad grammar. So sue ME!

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

BtVS

Old Post Apr 25th, 2001 10:28 PM
Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Edna Witch
Magic

Well the first one I read was the Truce at Bakura which starts the morning after the battle of Endor. Quite a convenient place really! I suppose cronological order is the best way to read them really but it doesnt really matter! Just make sure you finish trilogies and duologies or that can get very confusing! And you have to read the NJO books in order. That is a definite must! But I would advise starting at the truce at Bakura and going cronologically as much as poss. Then things like the Han Solo series and Shadows of the empire which come before and during the films can really be read at any time!

Hope that helps!

Old Post Apr 26th, 2001 04:04 AM
Click here to Send Edna Witch a Private Message Find more posts by Edna Witch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JediOasis
Better Man

I would read three series of books. First you have to read the Thrawn trilogy, a lot of important characters are introduced, ie Mara Jade, and the Solo twins. Then read the Jedi Academy trilogy for the same reason. And finally start reading the New Jedi Order series, they are the best yet.....

spoiler space....

.......Coruscant is going to fall in the new hardback due out in October, Star by Star.

[ April 25, 2001: Message edited by: JediOasis ]

"I loved it the first time I saw it. It's goodies and baddies, cowboys and Indians in space. I was a child when it came out and it still appeals to me now. It is one of my favourite films ever and Darth Vader is best."
-Noel Gallagher

Old Post Apr 26th, 2001 04:11 AM
Click here to Send JediOasis a Private Message Find more posts by JediOasis Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Edna Witch
Magic

He doesnt mean the thrawn trilogy. He means the Empire trilogy which you started when you read Heir to the Empire. The Thrawn Duology is an extension of that set ten years later.

Old Post Apr 26th, 2001 04:15 AM
darth fester
jay & silent bobs friend

ive just read tales of the bounty hunters which is ok

set during esb

Old Post Apr 26th, 2001 04:36 AM
Click here to Send darth fester a Private Message Find more posts by darth fester Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sparky12

word. thanx giez, ill b lukin in2 that suen

Old Post Apr 26th, 2001 07:15 AM
Click here to Send Sparky12 a Private Message Find more posts by Sparky12 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sparky12

sorry about the sarcasm, but i couldn't resist.

Old Post Apr 26th, 2001 07:18 AM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Your clumsy sarcasm cannot defeat me! I am superior to you ALL!

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

OK, seem to have got carried away there... in fact I corrected Edna not as part of some snobbish crusade, but because we have a joke going in that department...

BtVS

Old Post Apr 26th, 2001 05:05 PM
jedi212guy
Sith Warrior

Hey, there is a big difference between "British" English and real "American" English! (I'm not trying to pick a fight, just to be a tad annoying) evil face

Old Post Apr 26th, 2001 05:18 PM
Click here to Send jedi212guy a Private Message Find more posts by jedi212guy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Yes, but that has nothing to do with me correcting Edna and her Staffordshire ways...

BtVS

Old Post Apr 26th, 2001 05:21 PM
jedi212guy
Sith Warrior

I was just sticking up for Jeffrey from Colorado. Nice state, it is.

Old Post Apr 26th, 2001 05:23 PM
Edna Witch
Magic

For crying out loud, it was a typo! I know my typin is bad and i know I cant spell just stop going on about it! Im not a computer wizzkid or an English schollar!. My talents lie elsewhere! So there!

Yes and dont you dare point out my many spelling mistakes in this either!

Old Post Apr 26th, 2001 07:05 PM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Well, that's THAT bit of fun out the window...

BtVS

Old Post Apr 26th, 2001 07:09 PM
jedi212guy
Sith Warrior

That witch is just no fun, isn't she? laughing out loud

Old Post Apr 26th, 2001 07:59 PM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

She has her moments...

BtVS

Old Post Apr 26th, 2001 09:27 PM
Darth Pants

I'd probably try some books, but there's always that fact that GL didn't write them that spoils the idea for me. Plus, ideas like lizard aliens invading the DAY AFTER the Battle of Endor, who take people's SPIRITS and use them to power their GUNS, sicken me quite frankly. Sorry to any fans of the book, but I prefer to think of weapons being powered by blaster gas and energy cells, not ghosts. I said I'd never come to this board for fear of ranting, so I'll leave now. Sorry.

[ April 26, 2001: Message edited by: Darth Pants ]

Old Post Apr 26th, 2001 11:02 PM
Find more posts by Darth Pants Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote