KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Lightsaber question?

Lightsaber question?
Started by: eleveninches

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
eleveninches
God of my own world

Lightsaber question?

Do lightsabers have an on/off switch. i thought they were suppossed to, but then i realised that in the films, whenever somebody loses their lightsaber, it switches off as soon as it leaves their hand.
It cant be a jedi only thing, as han solo uses one, and luke uses one before he learns his force powers.

Old Post Mar 5th, 2004 07:58 PM
Click here to Send eleveninches a Private Message Find more posts by eleveninches Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Oh blimey, not AGAIN, Eleven!

Yes they have an on/off switch!

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Mar 5th, 2004 08:49 PM
Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dirty Vader

they switch off automaticaly when not held. Its security.
When vader throws his aber in ROTJ, its either becuase their's a setting on his saber that takes that security off, or because he used the force.

My guess is the first suggestion.

I know what you're thinking punk. You're thinking: "Did he fire six shots or only five?" Well, to tell you the truth, I've forgotten myself in all this excitement. But being as this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself a question: "Do I feel lucky?" Well, do ya punk?

Old Post Mar 5th, 2004 11:26 PM
Click here to Send Dirty Vader a Private Message Find more posts by Dirty Vader Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
amity75

There must be some sort of safety catch. I can't imagine anything worse than it going off in your pocket.

Post in the Indiana Jones forum.

Old Post Mar 7th, 2004 09:00 AM
Click here to Send amity75 a Private Message Find more posts by amity75 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Phoenix Jedi
Jedi Kid

so they have an on/off switch, but if theyre on and they leave your hand accidently, they go off, but if you use the force to throw it it stays on? i dont get it.

Old Post Mar 7th, 2004 03:09 PM
Click here to Send Phoenix Jedi a Private Message Find more posts by Phoenix Jedi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Baylin
Back in story!

A non-latching switch would do it.

Old Post Mar 8th, 2004 12:31 PM
Click here to Send Baylin a Private Message Find more posts by Baylin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

All you would need to do is also use the Force to keep it on...

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Mar 8th, 2004 04:16 PM
Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
angiethedragon

I've read in several novels of how a jedi locks the blade on in order to throw it

It was so artistically done

Old Post Mar 8th, 2004 07:55 PM
Click here to Send angiethedragon a Private Message Find more posts by angiethedragon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Baylin
Back in story!

quote:
Originally posted by Ushgarak
All you would need to do is also use the Force to keep it on...

Or a switch lock for those less talented....

Old Post Mar 11th, 2004 08:55 AM
Click here to Send Baylin a Private Message Find more posts by Baylin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Julie
The Student

there's also ones that can supposedly be turned on by using the force...that's strictly EU thought...I think in some of the YJK books. MEaning that the on/off switch is internal.

Old Post Mar 27th, 2004 05:02 PM
Click here to Send Julie a Private Message Find more posts by Julie Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
walkingcarpet
I am Wookie!

All sabers have an on/off switch, when Vader threw his in Jedi, he locked it on. This heature was built into a lot of sabers to prevent them accidentally turning off during battle.

"But sir, no one worries about upsetting a droid."

"That's because droids don't pull people's arms out of their sockets when they lose, Wookies are known to do that."

"Um, I suggest a new stratagy, Artoo. Let the Wookie win."

Old Post Sep 23rd, 2004 01:42 AM
Click here to Send walkingcarpet a Private Message Find more posts by walkingcarpet Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
walkingcarpet
I am Wookie!

feature*

"That's because droids don't pull people's arms out of their sockets when they lose, Wookies are known to do that."

Old Post Sep 23rd, 2004 01:43 AM
Click here to Send walkingcarpet a Private Message Find more posts by walkingcarpet Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
walkingcarpet
I am Wookie!

Also, the sabers turned on by the force, for a little more about them, look in the book "The Crystal Star" by Vonda N. McIntyre

Old Post Sep 23rd, 2004 01:46 AM
EliminatorJedi

Actually, Lightsabers have both features, it's said directly in the Essential guides that Lightsabers can be made with an internal or external switch. Most of the Episodes lightsabers had an on and off switch external, but if you look closely at a few, there was only knobs for focusing. It's said that in a Force throw, either the switch is downpressed manually to stay on or held down with the force. Generally it would be easier for the Jedi with a down press switch. That's why most go for the external.

Old Post Dec 28th, 2004 10:16 AM
Click here to Send EliminatorJedi a Private Message Find more posts by EliminatorJedi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
EliminatorJedi

Actually, Lightsabers have both features, it's said directly in the Essential guides that Lightsabers can be made with an internal or external switch. Most of the Episodes lightsabers had an on and off switch external, but if you look closely at a few, there was only knobs for focusing. It's said that in a Force throw, either the switch is downpressed manually to stay on or held down with the force. Generally it would be easier for the Jedi with a down press switch. That's why most go for the external.

Old Post Dec 28th, 2004 10:16 AM
Click here to Send EliminatorJedi a Private Message Find more posts by EliminatorJedi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Delfedd
Beware of the Dark Side

EliminatorJedi's right.

a public service anouncement (put in your Sig)

Old Post Jan 6th, 2005 10:07 PM
Click here to Send Delfedd a Private Message Find more posts by Delfedd Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
xeous
The Next.

He must be right, he posted it twice.

Old Post Jan 6th, 2005 10:59 PM
Click here to Send xeous a Private Message Find more posts by xeous Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Napalm
Mr. Hyde

Im not completly sure But I think that you have to hold the button down to keep the blade on

Bud list SlipknoT,42bardock,Freddy love,Similing Sadly,Mr Parker, Jackie Malfoy,Aku

Old Post Jan 10th, 2005 04:27 PM
Click here to Send Napalm a Private Message Find more posts by Napalm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
HyperDream
Oh the hugemanitee!

"Do lightsabers have an on/off switch. i thought they were suppossed to, but then i realised that in the films, whenever somebody loses their lightsaber, it switches off as soon as it leaves their hand."

dont know, why does indiana jones' hat never fall off when hes being chased/punched/kicked/dragged/tortured/kissed/shot

its an impossible question

Old Post Jan 10th, 2005 04:59 PM
Click here to Send HyperDream a Private Message Find more posts by HyperDream Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Phoenix Jedi
Jedi Kid

Good point XD.
EJ is right.
But back in the old times, when they had sabers made out of wood... you know, the time of Exar Kun... the Force was the "Energy Cell" of their sabers.

Old Post Jan 11th, 2005 07:57 PM
Click here to Send Phoenix Jedi a Private Message Find more posts by Phoenix Jedi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote