KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Do lightsabers run out of power?

Do lightsabers run out of power?
Started by: Napalm

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Napalm
Mr. Hyde

Do lightsabers run out of power?

Scence lightsabers are built with crystals I was wondering Do they ever loose there power and need new ones/

Bud list SlipknoT,42bardock,Freddy love,Similing Sadly,Mr Parker, Jackie Malfoy,Aku

Old Post Jan 10th, 2005 04:28 PM
Click here to Send Napalm a Private Message Find more posts by Napalm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Ones
Death Eater

i dont think so, they could if the crystals break but im not sure

Harry Potter and the Triwizard Cup Spider-man 3

Old Post Jan 10th, 2005 04:30 PM
Click here to Send The Ones a Private Message Find more posts by The Ones Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
HyperDream
Oh the hugemanitee!

i want to build my own lightsaber that actually has chrystals in it. that'd be cool.

Old Post Jan 10th, 2005 04:59 PM
Click here to Send HyperDream a Private Message Find more posts by HyperDream Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Ones
Death Eater

it will be illegal cause crinimals could use it for robbing and killing

Harry Potter and the Triwizard Cup Spider-man 3

Old Post Jan 10th, 2005 05:51 PM
Click here to Send The Ones a Private Message Find more posts by The Ones Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
eggmayo

Actually, lightsabers have energy cells in there, so I presume they run out. You'd be buggered if you got in a sabre fight and the batteries ran out though.

Old Post Jan 10th, 2005 06:06 PM
Click here to Send eggmayo a Private Message Find more posts by eggmayo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
HyperDream
Oh the hugemanitee!

"DAMN, wait a sec, i gota replace my energy cells..."

Old Post Jan 10th, 2005 06:15 PM
Click here to Send HyperDream a Private Message Find more posts by HyperDream Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Presumably yes- when interview just after TPM, Liam Neeson talked to Clive James in the UK about how GL explained to him how sabres use crystals as batteries, and then he made light of possibly running out of power a moment before meeting Maul...

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Jan 10th, 2005 06:46 PM
Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Xanatos
Pop Corn

I always though the charger was on the belt and while it's not being used it's charging. messed

I dont care what any one says Inutaishou is the best Inuyasha charachter followed by Sesshomaru.

Old Post Jan 10th, 2005 10:55 PM
Click here to Send Xanatos a Private Message Find more posts by Xanatos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Rover

*Laughs*

Old Post Jan 10th, 2005 11:44 PM
Click here to Send The Rover a Private Message Find more posts by The Rover Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Phoenix Jedi
Jedi Kid

What's there to laugh about? It's a good theory.

Old Post Jan 11th, 2005 07:53 PM
Click here to Send Phoenix Jedi a Private Message Find more posts by Phoenix Jedi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ogami Itto
Lone Wolf and Cub

I Think that they do run out of power but the life of the energy cell is long. A year maybe

If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain or bitter; for always there will be lesser and greater persons than yourself.

Old Post Jan 13th, 2005 02:24 AM
Click here to Send Ogami Itto a Private Message Find more posts by Ogami Itto Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ArthasKnight
Dark Lord of the Sith

I always joked about how in ANH when Ben's fighting Vader and Ben's lightsaber flickers (anyone know what I mean?), that his lightsaber was running out of juice. I think they can, any (well, most) energy source(s) can be drained.

Old Post Jan 13th, 2005 02:30 AM
Click here to Send ArthasKnight a Private Message Find more posts by ArthasKnight Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Maverick2364
Jedi Master

Yeah it flickered and appeared to be dying. Thank God George Lucas fixed that in the dvds (sort of). One also would draw the question of how long a saber would last before dying (like batteries) and how could the power from the crystals be drained in the first place.

Old Post Jan 13th, 2005 02:35 AM
Click here to Send Maverick2364 a Private Message Find more posts by Maverick2364 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ArthasKnight
Dark Lord of the Sith

It's an energy source, like a battery. Batteries run out of juice, why can't a crystal? The crystal has to have something within that gives the crystal the ability to be a power source for them in the first place, so why can't it be drained?

Old Post Jan 13th, 2005 02:37 AM
Click here to Send ArthasKnight a Private Message Find more posts by ArthasKnight Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Exile
Sith Assassin

But why was Darth Mauls Half saber still working after obi-wan cut the power Crystal in half?

Old Post Jan 13th, 2005 06:20 AM
Click here to Send Exile a Private Message Find more posts by Exile Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Red Superfly
You creepy little stalker

quote:
Originally posted by Exile
But why was Darth Mauls Half saber still working after obi-wan cut the power Crystal in half?

laughing

Did it ever occur to you that maybe, JUST maybe, Darth Maul had TWO crystals?

Old Post Jan 13th, 2005 03:03 PM
Click here to Send Red Superfly a Private Message Find more posts by Red Superfly Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ogami Itto
Lone Wolf and Cub

yea i think its basicly two sabers joined but that was a stroke of luck that it still didn't disable both!!

If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain or bitter; for always there will be lesser and greater persons than yourself.

Old Post Jan 13th, 2005 03:08 PM
Click here to Send Ogami Itto a Private Message Find more posts by Ogami Itto Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Red Superfly
You creepy little stalker

Maybe it wasn't luck. The crystals could have been put at each end of the saber (and judging by the diagrams from those technical books, they were).

And yeah, it is just two lightsabers glued together. Each side is independant obviously, because if they shared any components at all, both sides would fail when Obi-Wan sliced it.

Old Post Jan 13th, 2005 03:23 PM
Click here to Send Red Superfly a Private Message Find more posts by Red Superfly Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kraken
Wraith

just one Crystal was cut thats why he used only one end when it was cut in half.

Attachment: maul.jpg
This has been downloaded 46 time(s).

Old Post Jan 13th, 2005 05:19 PM
Click here to Send Kraken a Private Message Find more posts by Kraken Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dexx
wingless

well..consider it luck, or will of the force, but the cut opnly disabled one half of his saber..only one crystal. The crystal as an energy cell, IF it's canon, seems a bit overdoing it in my opinion. you might as well have a power unit besides the crystal which i though only works as a lens for concentrating the beam. That way..it would work kind of like your mobile phone.
it would be easier to explain how a lot of jedi could die in ROTS. evil dooku, besides erasing kamino from the archive, storms the jedi temple and grtabs whichever saber chargers he can find.

"out of power, i am" moans yoda "my lightsaber charger, find, i cannot. how embarassing."

Old Post Jan 13th, 2005 05:36 PM
Click here to Send Dexx a Private Message Find more posts by Dexx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote