KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » EU Continuity problem in KOTOR?

EU Continuity problem in KOTOR?
Started by: ((The_Anomaly))

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (10): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
((The_Anomaly))
2003 Super Senior Member

Arrow EU Continuity problem in KOTOR?

Ok well apparently Im known as an “EU hater” around these parts.

This is not necessarily to bash EU. However I noticed something that seems to contradict what EU says. Mainly in KOTOR.

We all know that EU is semi-canon (not actual canon but secondary to the movies)

And that EU generally has to follow the movies “canon”

Now feel free to correct anything wrong with my KOTOR stuff as I’ve played it but never beat it myself, though I know the story line for the most part.

However, in KOTOR there is a war. The Sith war? (if I’m right)

Now if I’m correct it’s the Sith against the Republic. No problems so far, right? Wrong.

In Episode II, Sio Bibble, the governor of Naboo says this:

”Its unthinkable, there hasn’t been a full scale war since the formation of the Republic!”

Now correct me if I’m wrong but the Sith wars in KOTOR would prolly constitute a full scale war would they not? I’m pretty damn sure it would seeing as the Republic was almost defeated and the Jedi numbers were dwindling.

This means then that continuity wise, KOTOR doesn’t check out. Since the Sith wars were about what 4000 years before Eps I? (correct if im wrong)

The Rebublic had been around for about 10,000 years as of Eps I.

So if in the “absolute canon” movies, there had not been a full scale war since the formation of the Republic, then how could only 4000 years before that, could there be a full scale war that nearly destroyed the Republic?

It makes no sense.

This is just something I noticed about continuity of EU….

BRAWL FRIEND CODE: 3823-8176-3726

Old Post Jul 18th, 2005 06:46 AM
Click here to Send ((The_Anomaly)) a Private Message Find more posts by ((The_Anomaly)) Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
@stroFan
SMUDGE

Actually, though I may be wrong, but I think it was the Jedi Civil War, which would mean Jedi vs. Sith only, not a fullscale war.

Haha, not bad for an E3 guy.*I retract this statement if wrong* stick out tongue

Made by da Piggle diggle Humsy.

Old Post Jul 18th, 2005 06:54 AM
Click here to Send @stroFan a Private Message Find more posts by @stroFan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
((The_Anomaly))
2003 Super Senior Member

well if Rebublic fleets are involved with Republic personelle then it is a full scale war.

if it was SOLEY the Jedi fighting them then no, its not. but the Republic is involved. so it is a full scale war

(and yea im a Eps. III guy)

but im also a "all 6 movies guy" lol

Last edited by ((The_Anomaly)) on Jul 18th, 2005 at 07:03 AM

Old Post Jul 18th, 2005 07:01 AM
Click here to Send ((The_Anomaly)) a Private Message Find more posts by ((The_Anomaly)) Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
@stroFan
SMUDGE

Damn!

*retracts previously mentioned statement* sad

Made by da Piggle diggle Humsy.

Old Post Jul 18th, 2005 07:07 AM
Click here to Send @stroFan a Private Message Find more posts by @stroFan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Emperor Revan
Most Powerful Sith Lord

Re: EU Continuity problem in KOTOR?

quote: (post)
Originally posted by ((The_Anomaly))
Ok well apparently Im known as an “EU hater” around these parts.

This is not necessarily to bash EU. However I noticed something that seems to contradict what EU says. Mainly in KOTOR.

We all know that EU is semi-canon (not actual canon but secondary to the movies)

And that EU generally has to follow the movies “canon”

Now feel free to correct anything wrong with my KOTOR stuff as I’ve played it but never beat it myself, though I know the story line for the most part.

However, in KOTOR there is a war. The Sith war? (if I’m right)

Now if I’m correct it’s the Sith against the Republic. No problems so far, right? Wrong.

In Episode II, Sio Bibble, the governor of Naboo says this:

”Its unthinkable, there hasn’t been a full scale war since the formation of the Republic!”

Now correct me if I’m wrong but the Sith wars in KOTOR would prolly constitute a full scale war would they not? I’m pretty damn sure it would seeing as the Republic was almost defeated and the Jedi numbers were dwindling.

This means then that continuity wise, KOTOR doesn’t check out. Since the Sith wars were about what 4000 years before Eps I? (correct if im wrong)

The Rebublic had been around for about 10,000 years as of Eps I.

So if in the “absolute canon” movies, there had not been a full scale war since the formation of the Republic, then how could only 4000 years before that, could there be a full scale war that nearly destroyed the Republic?

It makes no sense.

This is just something I noticed about continuity of EU….

Good point. I think the Republic was restarted 1000 years before TPM at the time of Darth Bane though this could be wrong. This would also go against the Exar Kun war too I think. Anyway, The Republic was started about 20,000 years before KOTOR or something like that and I don't think it's possible that all the Sith from then up until Darth Bane didn't cause even 1 full scale war. After all, Sidious says that once more the Sith will rule the galaxy so there was surely a full scale war at one point.

Thanks to Janus for the great Sig.

Old Post Jul 18th, 2005 03:07 PM
Click here to Send Emperor Revan a Private Message Find more posts by Emperor Revan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth_Rankkor
Shikido Master

Even if the continuity doesn't match, I still like both movies and eu material. But you're righ on that one.

Fear the dark corners

Old Post Jul 18th, 2005 03:16 PM
Click here to Send Darth_Rankkor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth_Rankkor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Julie
The Student

Naboo is a rim planet, it might have missed the Jedi vs Sith war.
When war touches your home you remember it, if not, it's just a topic of conversation at cocktail parties.

Old Post Jul 18th, 2005 03:17 PM
Click here to Send Julie a Private Message Find more posts by Julie Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth_Rankkor
Shikido Master

Who could ever forget the sith troopers marching around everywhere? hehehe

Fear the dark corners

Old Post Jul 18th, 2005 03:35 PM
Click here to Send Darth_Rankkor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth_Rankkor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
LinixCobra
Hablo Espanol

What happened in KOTOR is the jedi cival war where you had Darth Revan and Maloch (I probably spelled his name wrong so correct me if i am) lead the war which was against the mandalorians but was not an official war where the jedi counsel sent the order for jedi's to go and fight. Revan and Maloch then turned on each other and each side had about equal jedi followers. Which then turned into the Jedi Cival war

big grin-- Laughing is good happy laughing--

Old Post Jul 18th, 2005 04:14 PM
Click here to Send LinixCobra a Private Message Find more posts by LinixCobra Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Fishy

Exar Kun raged a full scale war too...

And according to most people the Republic has existed for a thousand years just as long as the Sith are thought to be extinct... The republic was probably reformed 1000 years before TPM.

Thanks TWelling4Ever

Old Post Jul 18th, 2005 04:19 PM
Click here to Send Fishy a Private Message Find more posts by Fishy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
LinixCobra
Hablo Espanol

I have to agree that it was reformed 1000 yrs before TPM because if you remember from the film TMP they mention that the sith have been extinct for a 1000 yrs meaning there must have been a full war.

Old Post Jul 18th, 2005 04:25 PM
Click here to Send LinixCobra a Private Message Find more posts by LinixCobra Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Achilles X
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by El_NINO
What happened in KOTOR is the jedi cival war where you had Darth Revan and Maloch (I probably spelled his name wrong so correct me if i am) lead the war which was against the mandalorians but was not an official war where the jedi counsel sent the order for jedi's to go and fight. Revan and Maloch then turned on each other and each side had about equal jedi followers. Which then turned into the Jedi Cival war

Not even close

Not even f*cking close

Revan and malak were allies, revan was the master, malak was the apprentice. the jeedai civil war was really sith against jeedai, why they called it the civil war i don't know. Malak indeed turned on Revan and shot at his cruiser, knocking him out, Revan was then taken to the jeedai council, had his mind wiped, was then trained as a jeedai once again and rose up to kill Malak.

"Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Willing is not enough; we must do."- Bruce Lee

Old Post Jul 18th, 2005 04:37 PM
Click here to Send Achilles X a Private Message Find more posts by Achilles X Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nactous
Restricted

Account Restricted

Thats why KotOR was set so far back, to give Bioware the freedom, and not to step on GL toes. A lot can happen in 4,000 years. The Republic could have been destroyed, rebuilt, and destroyed again in that span of time. And I remember, cause I just watched it, Palpatine saying. I will not let this Republic, that has stood for a thousand years be split into " He says that in his office in AOTC, after the destruction of Padmeas(hope i spelled that right) ship. So their you go anomaly, you showd have watched for that.

"The wait is over."

Old Post Jul 18th, 2005 04:43 PM
Click here to Send Nactous a Private Message Find more posts by Nactous Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nactous
Restricted

Account Restricted

And by standing for a thousand years, I believe its formation would have been a thousand years, or at least the current Republic. I believe that it was destroyed, and rebuilt many times. Sio Bibble was referring to its most recent rebuilding. So... take it as you see it, but according to Palps in E2 the one he's ruling isn't that old. And Obi-wan says the Jedi have existed for a thousand generations, which I believe is a reign that is longer than a thousand years. And the Jedi have been in existed as long as the Republic, which has existed sine the discovery of the hyper drive. So if the Jedi have existed as long as the Republic, and that would be a thousand generations, that means the Republic must have restarted itself. BTW the Republic was verging on collapse in KotOR2.

"The wait is over."

Old Post Jul 18th, 2005 04:55 PM
Click here to Send Nactous a Private Message Find more posts by Nactous Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
LinixCobra
Hablo Espanol

Human Vader---

Ya i knew i was gonna get flamed i only played KOTOR 2 but it explained quite a bit about KOTOR 1

anyways thanks for clearing that up but ya didnt need to exaggerate

Old Post Jul 18th, 2005 05:38 PM
Fishy

You only played Kotor 2? Thats a shame, please go get Kotor, you'll love the story a lot more then you could ever love the one in Kotor 2

Thanks TWelling4Ever

Old Post Jul 18th, 2005 06:11 PM
Click here to Send Fishy a Private Message Find more posts by Fishy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Re: Re: EU Continuity problem in KOTOR?

Originally posted by Emperor Revan
Good point. I think the Republic was restarted 1000 years before TPM at the time of Darth Bane though this could be wrong. This would also go against the Exar Kun war too I think. Anyway, The Republic was started about 20,000 years before KOTOR or something like that and I don't think it's possible that all the Sith from then up until Darth Bane didn't cause even 1 full scale war. After all, Sidious says that once more the Sith will rule the galaxy so there was surely a full scale war at one point.

This nails it for me; it is the explanation I always had.

We know from GL, let alone KOTOR, that the Jedi and Sith used to fight, and as the Republic, with the Jedi in it, has existed for a thousand generations, we cannot pretend the Republic has never fought a war with the Sith.

Therefore, we can safely assume that Sio is talking about since a thousand years ago, when the current form of the Republic was founded.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Jul 18th, 2005 06:13 PM
Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Fishy

Also it happens to be 1000 years ago that the Sith became extinct, its only logic thats the last war the Republic had and thats when the "New, Old republic" started.

Thanks TWelling4Ever

Old Post Jul 18th, 2005 06:15 PM
Emperor Revan
Most Powerful Sith Lord

Re: Re: Re: EU Continuity problem in KOTOR?

Originally posted by Ushgarak
This nails it for me; it is the explanation I always had.

We know from GL, let alone KOTOR, that the Jedi and Sith used to fight, and as the Republic, with the Jedi in it, has existed for a thousand generations, we cannot pretend the Republic has never fought a war with the Sith.

Therefore, we can safely assume that Sio is talking about since a thousand years ago, when the current form of the Republic was founded.

Thanks. cool

Thanks to Janus for the great Sig.

Old Post Jul 18th, 2005 06:47 PM
Click here to Send Emperor Revan a Private Message Find more posts by Emperor Revan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
((The_Anomaly))
2003 Super Senior Member

well it would seem we are right and wrong. the Republic was founded 25,000 years ago. however, there is still a technical contunity problem. Sio says "since the formation of the rebublic" there was only ever 2 official formations, commonly knows as the Old and the New republic. with the "Old" being anytime before palpatines rule over the galaxy and the "New" being after.

however the official SW site says that there were indeed many conflicts during the 25,000 year span of the Old Republic.

quote:
With the signing of the Galactic Constitution on Coruscant more than 25,000 years ago, the Republic was born. Though history often recalls the Republic as an idyllic utopia, a less biased examination reveals numerous galactic conflicts -- such as the Hundred-Year Darkness, the Great Droid Rebellion and the Vultar Cataclysm -- throughout its reign.
Time and again, it fell to the Jedi Knights and the ancient armies and navies of the Republic to defend against violence. Twenty millennia after its founding, the Republic saw one of its most destructive conflicts in the Great Hyperspace War. A forgotten menace, the long-banished Sith Empire, launched a full-scale incursion into Republic space. Many worlds were forever scarred in that battle, but the Jedi were able to repulse the invaders.

A thousand years later, Sith acolytes sparked what would become known as the Great Sith War. Again, the Jedi and Republic banded together to stop the insatiable Sith lust for conquest. The last great conflict of its kind occurred three millennia later, at the Battle of Ruusan. The Jedi Army of Light and the Sith Brotherhood of Darkness clashed on the planet Ruusan. That conflict saw the extermination of the Sith order. Many in the galaxy saw this battle as the last of the great wars, and the start of a new era of peace and stability in the Republic.

With peace and prosperity came a dangerous complacency. While corruption began to rot the Republic government, the vast armies and navies were downscaled, and the Republic came to rely on the Jedi more and more for the maintenance of civility. Despite a few isolated flashpoints -- like the Stark Hyperspace Wars and the Battle of Naboo -- full-scale military conflict remained a distant memory.

This lull made the rise of the Clone Wars all the more tragic and deadly. That conflict precipitated the rise of the Emperor and the galaxy's dark times. The Emperor revised the Galactic Constitution, and replaced the Old Republic with his New Order. Those in the Core saw this as welcome change -- finally, someone not afraid to do something about the state of the Republic. During these dark times the Jedi Knights were eradicated. The Emperor had the vast HoloNet array dismantled, allowing him to control the flow of information across the galaxy. Worlds that rebelled were crushed under the new regime, while those in the insulated Core Worlds never saw the worst of the atrocities. Coruscant and Galactic City were renamed Imperial Center and Imperial City. The Imperial Navy grew far beyond the limits of the Republic military of old.

Responding to these outrages came the Alliance to Restore the Republic, otherwise known as the Rebel Alliance. A Galactic Civil War erupted between the Alliance and the Empire. Enacting emergency powers, the Emperor suspended the Senate, sweeping the last fragments of the Republic away. Three years later, the Alliance was victorious over the Battle of Endor. With the Empire defeated, the Alliance declared a New Republic in the New Order's place.

so in fact there were conflics, as well as Palpatines (which i forgot he said) "....that has stood for 1000 years" does not make sense because it was (according to EU, 25,000 years) much much MUCH older then a 1000 years.

so, not only is Sio's comment contridictory, but so is palpatines.

now, technically the movies are Canon so it holds anyways, but for EU it makes no sense.

even though it says "full-scale military conflict remained a distant memory." it still happened. technically.

I find it odd that great wars such as these would be "forgotten".

never the less its still a weird problem with EU and Canon.

Last edited by ((The_Anomaly)) on Jul 18th, 2005 at 08:05 PM

Old Post Jul 18th, 2005 07:59 PM