KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » The Meaning of Revan's Name

The Meaning of Revan's Name
Started by: The Overmaster

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
The Overmaster
The Stranger

The Meaning of Revan's Name

Does anyone know what it means? I looked online and this was the best meaning i found.

rev·e·nant ( P ) Pronunciation Key (rv-nnt)
n.
One that returns after a lengthy absence.
One who returns after death.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[French, from present participle of revenir, to return, from Old French. See revenue.]

[Download Now or Buy the Book]
Source: The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
Copyright © 2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company.
Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

revenant

revenant was Word of the Day on August 9, 2002.

Source: Dictionary.com Word of the Day

revenant

adj 1: of or relating to or typical of a revenant; "revenant shrieks and groans" 2: coming back; "a revenant ghost" [syn: recurring] n 1: a person who returns after a lengthy absence 2: someone who has returned from the dead

Old Post Mar 13th, 2006 03:40 AM
Click here to Send The Overmaster a Private Message Find more posts by The Overmaster Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Overmaster
The Stranger

Old Post Mar 13th, 2006 03:43 AM
Click here to Send The Overmaster a Private Message Find more posts by The Overmaster Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Overmaster
The Stranger

This topic is prolly not important, but Revan's name was one of two Darth names whose meaning eluded me. However, it seems as if i finally found its meaning.

Now, all that remains is Rivan...

Old Post Mar 13th, 2006 03:44 AM
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

It's unclear if the KOTOR creators knew that Revanchism meant:

"Revanchism (from French revanche, "revenge") is a term used since the 1870s to describe political campaigns to reverse territorial losses incurred by a country during previous wars and strifes, sometimes quite distant in time. Revanchism draws strength from desires to regain national esteem, local geo-political dominance, or economic advantages by subduing a foe. Extreme revanchist ideologues often represent a pro-war stance, suggesting that the losses can be reclaimed only through a new war. Revanchism is intextricably linked with irredentism, the conception that a part of the cultural and ethnic nation remains "unredeemed" outside the borders of its appropriate nation-state."

What is known in Star Wars though, is that neither the names Malak or Revan actually mean anything. They aren't pseudonyms like Sidious or Vader are. They're just names like Bill or Frank.

Old Post Mar 13th, 2006 03:59 AM
Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Swirly Girl
Antediluvian

Ironically enough, Malak means "angel" in Arabic...

Old Post Mar 13th, 2006 04:31 PM
Click here to Send Swirly Girl a Private Message Find more posts by Swirly Girl Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Janus Marius
Plo Koon Rulez!

And "Whistles with no tongue" in Cherokee.

Old Post Mar 13th, 2006 08:08 PM
Click here to Send Janus Marius a Private Message Find more posts by Janus Marius Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
zephiel7

lol, funny. Too bad Malak doesn't have a tongue...OH HAHAHAH!!!

Old Post Mar 14th, 2006 03:07 AM
Click here to Send zephiel7 a Private Message Find more posts by zephiel7 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote