KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » The best place to start in the Expanded Universe

The best place to start in the Expanded Universe
Started by: Erresen

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (6): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Erresen
Padawan

Question The best place to start in the Expanded Universe

First posts are always tricky in forums, so best get it out the way quickly...

As far as the Expanded Universe goes, I'm a complete n00b - I only discovered it yesterday! I've watched the films many times OT, SE & PT but never gone any further than that. Anyway, I finished watching the SE episode VI was thinking about what would happen next... and then discovered the EU! I ordered the "The Thrawn Trilogy" from ebay earlier this morning and am looking forward to reading them, but where to go from there? From reading this forum for a few hours and the "wookieepedia" there just seems such as massive amount of literature that it's difficult to know what to read first. Also, judging by comments on KMC there seems to be some books, series etc that I should probably avoid - NJO with Luke turning into a force god for example, sounds a bit... well... far fetched.

Anyway, I'm looking for recommendations and whatever the opposite of a recommendation is (condemnation I suppose) for where to go first in the EU!

Cheers

Old Post Aug 24th, 2009 10:01 AM
Click here to Send Erresen a Private Message Find more posts by Erresen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AthenasTrgrFngr
Don't wanna die...

honestly i would recommend that you read the eu that stays closest to the movies in terms of timeline and events. those are usually the best. the more distant the eu gets from the movies the weaker it is imo.

so id recommend the clone wars novels and comics, the empire and rebellion comic series, and...

well it depends a lot on what you like about star wars. smile

i like starwars because of the large scale battles and wars, but i dont like most of the jedi vs. sith stuff, other people feel differently. so really it comes down to what you like.

Old Post Aug 24th, 2009 10:16 AM
Click here to Send AthenasTrgrFngr a Private Message Find more posts by AthenasTrgrFngr Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Erresen
Padawan

Thanks Marvel. I certainly like the epic space battles, but also enjoy the jedi and sith stuff. I liked how anakin was turned to the darkside not because he was essentially evil, but because he wanted to save padme. So yeah - definitely like the jedi/sith stuff too! Anyone got suggestions along those lines?
Also - does everyone agree with Ms Marvel that the further away from the films timeline, the more far fetched the books become?

Old Post Aug 24th, 2009 11:08 AM
Click here to Send Erresen a Private Message Find more posts by Erresen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AthenasTrgrFngr
Don't wanna die...

well if you like anakins story id recommend Dark Lord: Rise of Dark Vader] and the [url=http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/ Star_Wars_Episode_III:_Revenge_of_the_Sith_(novel)
]Revenge of the Sith novel]p/url].

the latter isnt necessarily eu but it fleshes out anakins dilemma and personality much better than the film did and s very well written.

as for jedi vs. sith... theres a lot of material on that and im not as savvy.

but out of curiosity have you played any of the games?

Old Post Aug 24th, 2009 11:15 AM
Click here to Send AthenasTrgrFngr a Private Message Find more posts by AthenasTrgrFngr Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Erresen
Padawan

Yeah I've played a few ages ago, I seem to remember flying round Mos Eisley in an X Wing. Also shooting down those black flying droids on Hoth...
Played battlefront as well, that was pretty cool as far as I can remember...
More interested in the books at the moment tbh

Old Post Aug 24th, 2009 11:30 AM
AthenasTrgrFngr
Don't wanna die...

ah... yeah Rogue Squadron. good games lol.

anyway heres that second link that i messed up.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_W...ge_of_the_Sith_(novel)

Old Post Aug 24th, 2009 11:41 AM
Erresen
Padawan

Cheers!
The Republic Commando Series by Karen Traviss look good, so I'll probably look into them. And the Rise of Darth Vader looks good too. Not too keen on novelisations of films, so don't know about reading Revenge of the Sith, but as you recommended it I'll certainly give it a closer look.
Thanks a lot!

Book list so far:-

Purchased:-
Thrawn Trilogy: Heir to the Empire, Dark Force Rising and The Last Command

Recommended to me:-
Republic Commando Series: Hard Contact, Triple Zero, True Colors and Order 66
Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader
Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith (Novel)

Anymore recommendations or books I should stay away from?

Old Post Aug 24th, 2009 11:55 AM
mattatom
UNSC's finest.

Well I personally enjoyed Death Star that and the Trawn trilogy were the only ones I'd recommend but you own the latter. Plus Republic Commando the game was one of the best Star Wars ones i feel.

Might as well call him "Matt Atom Bomb"
Like his name suggests, he's quite atomic
And this fool - he likes DC Comics
Two energy swords make up his symbol
And trust me, dawg, this homie's nimble

Old Post Aug 24th, 2009 01:06 PM
Click here to Send mattatom a Private Message Find more posts by mattatom Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
xxxpoppunker182

if you want the stories on how luke started the new NJO read the jedi academy trilogy. It's and easy read with some cool stuff in it, and then there is I,Jedi which takes place in the middle of the second book of JA and ends after the events of the JA trilogy.

NJO is toomany books and I thought that whole series was lacking but that's IMO. I thought the dark nest trilogy was better than most of the NJO stuff.

Old Post Aug 24th, 2009 06:14 PM
Click here to Send xxxpoppunker182 a Private Message Find more posts by xxxpoppunker182 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Hewhoknowsall
Restricted

Account Restricted

"the new NJO"? I know that I'm being picky here, but that would basically be "the new new jedi order".

Old Post Aug 24th, 2009 06:26 PM
Click here to Send Hewhoknowsall a Private Message Find more posts by Hewhoknowsall Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dark Exile

Bane books.

and the Dark Lord was good too.

Old Post Aug 27th, 2009 06:24 PM
Click here to Send Dark Exile a Private Message Find more posts by Dark Exile Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth_Glentract
The Truest Sith Lord

I started a LOOONNNGGGG time ago with the Ambush at Corellia, but I was like six so it went mostly over my head. I like the post movies stuff the best, so you could try Truce at Bakura as it's literally right after ROTJ. Then just go in order for the 40 some books till you run out. If you like Clone Wars, read that, but its just gotten to old for me. I liked those books till ep3 came out and was just like, okay, time to move on. Bane and all those are good to, but I think it its good to read them more in the order they were written than the SW timeline, so you could try Splinter of the Minds Eye or the Thrawn trilogy as those were first.

Old Post Aug 27th, 2009 06:35 PM
Click here to Send Darth_Glentract a Private Message Find more posts by Darth_Glentract Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Incanus
Istari

Bane books, great books.

Isil
Turgon aran Gondolin tortha gar a matha, i vegil Glamdring gud dae lo, dam an Glamhoth.

Old Post Aug 27th, 2009 09:11 PM
Click here to Send Incanus a Private Message Find more posts by Incanus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
truejedi

well, the Clone War Novels were pretty sweet, imo, not a bad place to start, since it fills out the details of the trilogies.

Old Post Aug 27th, 2009 09:28 PM
Click here to Send truejedi a Private Message Find more posts by truejedi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BoratBorat
Restricted

Account Restricted

Remember, most of the EU books are fine, but NEVER read anything written by karen traviss.

Old Post Aug 28th, 2009 12:44 AM
Click here to Send BoratBorat a Private Message Find more posts by BoratBorat Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
truejedi

she gave jacen 3 hands to kill mara. i will never forgive her.

Old Post Aug 28th, 2009 12:55 AM
Click here to Send truejedi a Private Message Find more posts by truejedi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Slash_KMC
Retired Helper

srsly dude, it wz his foot!!!1!1 lolz

Old Post Aug 28th, 2009 03:06 AM
Click here to Send Slash_KMC a Private Message Find more posts by Slash_KMC Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MasterAshenVor
Grey Jedi

Kid listen.

Start with the Death Star Book.

From there go to Thrawn Series.

From there go to Jedi Academy Series.

From there go to the Han Solo Series.

From there go to the Boba Fett Series. or the Rogue Squadron Series.

From there go to the Darth Bane Series.

From there go to the Legacy Series.

Then its up to you.

I just name off all the awesome series that will develop the storyline well for you without you saying WHO THE HELL IS THIS PERSON!.

"I see more Grey than Light or Dark now days." - Jolee Bindo

"I will do what I must Obi-Wan." - Qui-Gon-Jinn

Old Post Aug 28th, 2009 08:22 PM
Click here to Send MasterAshenVor a Private Message Find more posts by MasterAshenVor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
truejedi

quote: (post)
Originally posted by MasterAshenVor
without you saying WHO THE HELL IS THIS PERSON!.

That is exactly why i liked the Clone Wars novels.

Old Post Aug 29th, 2009 03:40 AM
mattatom
UNSC's finest.

Watch out for the Thrawnwankery though.

Out of all of them I personally enjoyed Death Star most.

Might as well call him "Matt Atom Bomb"
Like his name suggests, he's quite atomic
And this fool - he likes DC Comics
Two energy swords make up his symbol
And trust me, dawg, this homie's nimble

Old Post Aug 29th, 2009 03:44 AM
Click here to Send mattatom a Private Message Find more posts by mattatom Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote