KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Jango Fett is not a Mandalorian?

Jango Fett is not a Mandalorian?
Started by: Anakin_the_Hutt

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (6): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Anakin_the_Hutt
Jedi Master

Jango Fett is not a Mandalorian?

I loved the "Open Seasons" graphic novel. When I first saw AOTC, I thought Jango was the coolest. In "Open Seasons", it spelled out Jango's origins. An orphaned boy who was picked up and raised by the Mandalorians and eventually, becoming the last of them.

I saw the Clone Wars episode, "The Mandalore Plot" and dude said Jango was just a mere bounty hunter. Said he had no idea how he got his armor.

It confused me, cuz it's spelled out in "Open Seasons" who Jango is. Clearly stated: a Mandalorian. The same in Star Wars: Bounty Hunter (video game).

I got Clone Wars Season 2 on Bluray for X-Mas and on the 2nd disc there's a featurette called, "Creating Mandalore". Dave Filoni and others talked about art direction, style - but then Dave occasionally discussed Jango and Boba. What he said, stumped me even more.

I dictated what he said but, I had to cut it into 4 parts...'cuz other people were interviewed to discuss art design n' stuff. I jotted down, verbatim, his explanation of things.

PART 1

"Now, all the history of Mandalore that you knew prior to the Clone Wars - it does exist. It absolutely exists. Were they a mercenary people? Yes, they absolutely are. Did they fight against the Jedi? Yes, they absolutely did. Is there a big battle where there is a cataclysm between them and the Jedi? Yes. Have we pushed that idea - that the cataclysm was so great, that the surface of Mandalore was laid to waste? Absolutely, we did. Because, to George, the Mandalorians - above all, dating back to ESB - are Supercommandos. They're a race of people that were a military. They can't be so vagabond as they appeared in the EU. They can't be this group of people that are vastly different in paint job and paint scheme because - if you do that, they look too much, immediately, like a bunch of Boba Fetts. It robbed Boba Fett of his uniqueness. We needed a military. We needed an army. They have a very uniform look. They are trying to bring back the ancient Mandalorian ways of being the Supercommando and regain dominion for their mythology, their stories - which is what you could call - is what the EU is. That they are a warrior race and eventually mercenaries."

PART 2

"So, the idea that Jango Fett is not a Mandalorian - that's something that comes directly from George. I think that - when we fist saw Jango in AOTC - that alot of us, myself included, we assumed, "Oh, he must be a Mandalorian. There he is in Mandalorian armor." So, there's kind of this early assumption that Jango must be a Mandalorian. That was interesting to see. But, that was never stated in the film. It's never stated that he's Mandalorian. He's always just referred to as a bounty hunter."

Then they play the clip:

OBI: "I recently encountered a man who wore Mandalorian armor. Jango Fett."

GUY: "Jango Fett was a common bounty hunter. How he acquired that armor is beyond me."

PART 3

"Once you have that silver, blue, black and grey armor - of course, the first thing is: "Well, why is Boba's green? Where is that coming from?" And, from the point that we've established in the Clone Wars - to the point whenever Boba gets his armor - there's one thing that I think is important, is that; Mandalorian armor exists during the Clone Wars. Mandalorian armor that's very close to the design and use of Boba's armor. Boba has tricked his armor out. He's added a few things that our Death Watch guys don't have because he's a bounty hunter and much like a gunslinger in the old west, would shoot someone and take their hat or take their guns or, y'know, you win a victory over another warrior and you take something of theirs - Boba Fett's armor probably is made up of different pieces of found Mandalorian gear. It's a little hodge-podge of mix n' match which I think, kinda leands itself to the idea that he acquires different pieces of Mandalorian armor over time. Why does he do that? Because his dad wore it. That's the connection for him. So I imagine this Mandalorian armor really isn't being created again and again and again when you look at the time of the Empire. Boba just - whenever he finds some of it, he fixes it up, he uses it. He's probably got a bunch of it in Slave 1. Different rocket packs, we've seen that on Boba. Different wristguards, we've seen that on Boba. So how do our Death Watch go from being these silver, prestine-looking uniform military guys - there must be something that happens in between here and where Boba's getting all this weird green and yellow and red armor. Um, and we'll just have to wait and see."

PART 4

"They are an important part of the Clone Wars in alot of ways. In that, they are as much a threat to what Dooku's doing as they are to the Republic. They can't be left unmentioned when you do the Clone Wars. So it was a real previlidge, I think, for myself and my whole crew to be involved in the creation of one of these legendary planets for George and - he was very specific with me on so many things and I'm always glad when he is because at the end of the day, y'know, 10, 20 years from now - that's, that's Mandalore. And when he looks at it, I want him to say, "That's what I pictured." Y'know? And I'm glad that fans now have the opportunity to see what he was thinking. And I look forward to seeing how, what we've done for George with the Mandalorians, effects now the future of the history and those people and what other creative people bring to the table to add to the rich tapestry which now is this unique Star Wars culture. "

End Transmission.

So does this mean that Jango's backstory is now a clean slate? I've gone to wikipedia, wookieepedia, ect. - everyone still calls him a Mandalorian bounty hunter and his "Open Seasons" origin is still intact everywhere. In fact, I've read that the guy who said Jango was just a bounty hunter was...just not aware of him - or he hates Jango - or that the Mandalorians don't recognize Jango's status there.

What's the deal? After hearing Dave Filoni, it seems pretty clear-cut to me that Jango Fett is just, flat-out, not a Mandalorian. Just a bounty hunter who wears Mandalorian gear. The problem is, I don't see reflections of this anywhere in Star Wars Land.

Is "Open Seasons" now just a "Star Wars Tale"? Am I missing something, 'cuz, again, I'm just not seeing any reflections of this HUGE revelation anywhere! In the COMPLETE Star Wars Encyclopedia (2008), does it state that Jango is a Mandalorian bounty hunter or even that he was once a Mandalorian? Or is "Open Seasons" and "Star Wars: Bounty Hunter" the reasons for the "assumption" by fans that he was Mandalorian?

Can someone help clear this up for me?

Last edited by Anakin_the_Hutt on Dec 29th, 2010 at 10:32 PM

Old Post Dec 29th, 2010 10:28 PM
Click here to Send Anakin_the_Hutt a Private Message Find more posts by Anakin_the_Hutt Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

The Mandalorians are supposed to be a collective of warriors from multiple species, not a hereditary clan. KotOR and the relevant EU have established that. There's no reason that Jango Fett can't be a Mandalorian adopted in to their society.

Except for George Lucas. That man's on the verge of f*cking up yet another piece if Star Wars.

Old Post Dec 30th, 2010 01:29 AM
Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
truejedi

Well, I believe it was stated somewhere that Jango was adopted into the Mandalorian society. So no, he isn't originally of the mandalorian race, but he is by the events of TPM.

Old Post Dec 30th, 2010 02:59 AM
Click here to Send truejedi a Private Message Find more posts by truejedi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MasterAshenVor
Grey Jedi

They had Rodians who were Mandalorians.

"I see more Grey than Light or Dark now days." - Jolee Bindo

"I will do what I must Obi-Wan." - Qui-Gon-Jinn

Old Post Dec 30th, 2010 03:51 AM
Click here to Send MasterAshenVor a Private Message Find more posts by MasterAshenVor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Truculent
Truth is written in Blood

Jango Fett is a direct ancestor of another Fett that Revan and Malak met and fought during the Mandalorian Wars (I believe it was the Mando Wars). So yes, he is a Mandalorian. The Mandalorians were defeated, but they were scattered, but when Jango was cloned, in my opinion, the Clone Wars were an extention of the Mandalorian Wars.

War Doctor

Old Post Dec 30th, 2010 05:45 PM
Click here to Send Darth Truculent a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Truculent Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
truejedi

direct ancestor? I would like to see that lineage. * skeptical* names just don't last for 2000 years.

Old Post Dec 30th, 2010 05:54 PM
Click here to Send truejedi a Private Message Find more posts by truejedi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Truculent
Truth is written in Blood

I read it on a SW site (can't exactly remember which one).

War Doctor

Old Post Dec 30th, 2010 06:16 PM
Click here to Send Darth Truculent a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Truculent Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
truejedi

ah. well then. Not saying you are wrong, but I find that it strains credulity that a last name of a bounty hunter would survive 2000 years.... Bounty hunting is dangerous work...

Old Post Dec 30th, 2010 08:05 PM
Anakin_the_Hutt
Jedi Master

quote: (post)
Originally posted by truejedi
Well, I believe it was stated somewhere that Jango was adopted into the Mandalorian society. So no, he isn't originally of the mandalorian race, but he is by the events of TPM.
It's in Open Seasons...the tie-in with the video game, Star Wars: Bounty Hunter. It spells out his origin and how he became the last of the Mandalorians.

But since Jango is now OFFICIALLY not a Mandalorian - does that mean his origin is a clean slate, 'cuz (like here) everybody still calls him Mandalorian and his Open Seasons origin is still seen as legit.

I got the AOTC Visual Dictionary. It doesn't call him a Mandalorian, but it does say he was adopted and raised by them and continues to wear their armor after he survived their destruction by the Jedi.

In the New Essential Guide to Characters - it doesn't call him a Mandalorian either. It says that after he was orphaned, Jango joined the Mandalorian peacekeepers, a group of nomadic mercenaries with whom he traveled for a few years.

Interestingly, it says Jango slipped away from the Battle of Galidraan - in which the Jedi NEARLY eliminated their outnumbered opponents - and he prepared to go into business for himself as a hunter-for-hire.

Anybody know if they call Jango a Mandalorian in the COMPLETE Star Wars Encyclopedia? Do they mention him being adopted into the Mandalorians and eventually leading them and eventually becoming the last of them? Or is he listed as just a mysterious bounty hunter who wears Mandalorian armor?

Can someone help clear this up? Is Jango's Open Seasons origin now poo-doo thanks to the Lucas Revelation?

Last edited by Anakin_the_Hutt on Dec 30th, 2010 at 08:47 PM

Old Post Dec 30th, 2010 08:42 PM
Click here to Send Anakin_the_Hutt a Private Message Find more posts by Anakin_the_Hutt Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
truejedi

well, at the very LEAST he is an adopted mandalorian, so its really moot point.

Old Post Dec 30th, 2010 09:07 PM
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

Oh yeah, I forgot about Cassus Fett... for good reason. 4,000 years, 160 generations. And the name Fett was handed down every time?

F*ckin Drew Karpyshyn.

Old Post Dec 30th, 2010 11:47 PM
Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

Actually Fett is just a generic Manalorian name. In LOTF its explained that its Mandalorian for 'farmer' or something similar.

Old Post Dec 30th, 2010 11:50 PM
Click here to Send Nephthys a Private Message Find more posts by Nephthys Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

Wookieepedia has an article on the "Fett Clan". I don't know if Mandalorians adopt their clan name as their last name, but with Jango's immediate family, they all possessed it as such. So it's either 4,000 years of lineage being kept within the Mandalorian society and the Fett clan's survival that whole time, or there were possible breaks in the chain and the surname Fett survived 4,000 years.

F*ckin goddamn Drew Karpyshyn.

Old Post Dec 31st, 2010 12:45 AM
truejedi

was it 4,000? I thought KOTOR was 2,000 years before TPM.

Old Post Dec 31st, 2010 03:30 AM
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

was it 4,000? I thought KOTOR was 2,000 years before TPM.
no expression

To quote Beauty and the Beast: "GET OUT!"

Old Post Dec 31st, 2010 03:55 AM
truejedi

i'm sure i've known in the past... You know how long its been since i've read anything about KOTOR?

Old Post Dec 31st, 2010 04:04 AM
mattatom
UNSC's finest.

Don't forget TJ. Bounty Hunters are BadAss they would have had descendants in every spaceport.

Might as well call him "Matt Atom Bomb"
Like his name suggests, he's quite atomic
And this fool - he likes DC Comics
Two energy swords make up his symbol
And trust me, dawg, this homie's nimble

Old Post Dec 31st, 2010 04:09 AM
Click here to Send mattatom a Private Message Find more posts by mattatom Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Anakin_the_Hutt
Jedi Master

well, at the very LEAST he is an adopted mandalorian, so its really moot point.
But isn't an adopted Mandalorian still - a Mandalorian?

Old Post Jan 1st, 2011 11:44 PM
truejedi

exactly. so it doesn't really matter if he is a birth mando or not.

Old Post Jan 2nd, 2011 05:39 AM
Anakin_the_Hutt
Jedi Master

So Jango could never have been adopted into the Mandalorians if he is NOW not a Mandalorian. He just isn't one of them, according to Lucas. I'm sure now he's gonna milk that story potential - Jango's ties to the Mandalorian armor.

Old Post Jan 2nd, 2011 08:07 AM