KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Do midichlorian's really matter?

Do midichlorian's really matter?
Started by: Jmanghan

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Jmanghan

Do midichlorian's really matter?

Could someone like Obi-Wan, Ki-Adi-Mundi, Sora Bulq, Saesee Tiin become more powerful than most Sith Lords or Jedi Grand Masters who had more experience and a higher midichlorian counts if they were given enough training? Such as Yoda, Sidious, Bane?

Old Post Nov 7th, 2013 02:53 PM
Click here to Send Jmanghan a Private Message Find more posts by Jmanghan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Intrepid37
Restricted

Account Restricted

no

Old Post Nov 7th, 2013 03:11 PM
Click here to Send Intrepid37 a Private Message Find more posts by Intrepid37 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Petrus
Debonaire Member

They matter alright.

"Do not go gentle into that good night"

Old Post Nov 7th, 2013 03:29 PM
Click here to Send Petrus a Private Message Find more posts by Petrus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NTJack0
Ranger

Yes they matter, everyone has a cut off point when it comes to power. Obi-Wan, would never be able to match Yoda, as an example.

Old Post Nov 7th, 2013 04:11 PM
Click here to Send NTJack0 a Private Message Find more posts by NTJack0 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Q99

They matter in power. Even if Obi-wan surpassed Yoda or Sidious in skill somehow, he'd still be always outmatched in the force.

Though there are ways around this, like becoming a wound in the force ala Meetra.

Old Post Nov 7th, 2013 05:24 PM
Click here to Send Q99 a Private Message Find more posts by Q99 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Stealth Moose
Umbrella Elite

Midi-chlorians are pretty much unheard of outside of G-canon and -some- EU created after TPM. The idea is that midi-chlorians imply a higher potential, but I always found the concept lameashellunevenly applied and therefore stupid.

Old Post Nov 7th, 2013 06:55 PM
Click here to Send Stealth Moose a Private Message Find more posts by Stealth Moose Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

Sure enough, but the basic concept is everywhere: You're born strong in the Force or you aren't. People who are innately more powerful will always surpass those who are lesser. Training can bridge the gap, but if the more powerful being is also decently trained and competent then you'll never get more powerful than them no matter how much you train.

Old Post Nov 7th, 2013 07:02 PM
Click here to Send Nephthys a Private Message Find more posts by Nephthys Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Stealth Moose
Umbrella Elite

I imagine there's ways to enhance your power too. Absorbing Force spirits/essence of others, amulets, Meditation crystals/altars/rooms, etc. Perhaps some of the most ridiculous Force users are not naturally powerful but simply well augmented.

Old Post Nov 7th, 2013 07:18 PM
Click here to Send Stealth Moose a Private Message Find more posts by Stealth Moose Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

Ah, yes. There are those ways as well. It just isn't possible through sheer training.

Old Post Nov 7th, 2013 07:20 PM
Click here to Send Nephthys a Private Message Find more posts by Nephthys Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Stealth Moose
Umbrella Elite

Agreed on that. Training >>> reach full potential.

Augmentations >>> surpass full potential.

Old Post Nov 7th, 2013 07:39 PM
Allankles
Kwisatz Haderach

Re: Do midichlorian's really matter?

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Jmanghan
Could someone like Obi-Wan, Ki-Adi-Mundi, Sora Bulq, Saesee Tiin become more powerful than most Sith Lords or Jedi Grand Masters who had more experience and a higher midichlorian counts if they were given enough training? Such as Yoda, Sidious, Bane?

As it relates to power...NO!
Jerec, Kor, Katarn, Celeste Morne, Kun and a few others have managed to become more powerful through other means besides midichlorians.

Iboga chose not to fight, to allow himself to evolve. He had the wisdom to abandon the actions of war when he knew they would no longer serve him.

Old Post Nov 7th, 2013 08:21 PM
Click here to Send Allankles a Private Message Find more posts by Allankles Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Q99

And hey, there's always the 'steal the body of someone stronger than you' method.

Old Post Nov 7th, 2013 08:28 PM
Click here to Send Q99 a Private Message Find more posts by Q99 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

Originally posted by Q99
And hey, there's always the 'steal the body of someone stronger than you' method.
CHANGE NOW!

Old Post Nov 7th, 2013 08:56 PM
Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Stealth Moose
Umbrella Elite

Originally posted by Q99

Too bad this doesn't work IRL. I could poach some healthy young people's bodies and with my mind, take over the world.

Old Post Nov 7th, 2013 09:37 PM
Q99

Originally posted by Stealth Moose
Too bad this doesn't work IRL. I could poach some healthy young people's bodies and with my mind, take over the world.

Heck, it barely works in Star Wars!

Attempting body-swap is normally just asking for your soul to be destroyed. It worked for Vitiate and sorta for Muur, but everyone else who did it, died almost on the spot.

Plageuis's master. Darth Bane. Palpatine. Even Krayt.

Last edited by Q99 on Nov 7th, 2013 at 10:26 PM

Old Post Nov 7th, 2013 10:21 PM
Stealth Moose
Umbrella Elite

Curious as to what Nox will end up doing. I haven't gotten into any Hutt Cartel DLC, but I doubt it will illuminate my class story anymore.

Old Post Nov 7th, 2013 10:30 PM
XSUPREMEXSKILLZ
The Immortal Emperor

Nox uses dark side tendrils, but was admittedly likely being amped from the crystal she was holding during said sorcery.

”You presume limits to my power. There are none.”

Old Post Nov 7th, 2013 10:32 PM
Click here to Send XSUPREMEXSKILLZ a Private Message Find more posts by XSUPREMEXSKILLZ Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by Stealth Moose
Curious as to what Nox will end up doing. I haven't gotten into any Hutt Cartel DLC, but I doubt it will illuminate my class story anymore.

It doesn't. The only class story stuff you get is right at the beginning in a short intro showing the various classes pissing around on their ships. The Knight is training, Consular is meditiating and sensing the Makeb crisis, the Smuggler not doing anything really and the Inquisitor is doing some ritual that makes some tentacles come out of a tablet.

Thats it. The only other story elements I've seen is that Nox feels the need to constantly remind people that she's on the Dark Council now, furthering my impression of her as a big manchild.

Old Post Nov 7th, 2013 10:50 PM
Stealth Moose
Umbrella Elite

I'd rather have a dlc where I sit on the Council and vote/backstab/***** about Imperial issues.

"Health care for soldiers? Why don't we just give them rights next!"

Old Post Nov 8th, 2013 12:24 AM
KillaKassara
Restricted

Account Restricted

As the Darth Plagueis Novel explained, without Midi-chlorians there's no communication with the Force. Midi-chlorians are what make an ever-growing list of weak-minded aliens immune to Jedi Mind tricks, allow some species to live thousands of years, etc. High midi-chlorian counts always indicate high levels of Force sensitivity.

Anakin far exceeded his fellow Jedi, though he didn't care for more esoteric techniques he was able to wield the Nexus on Mortis like no other.

"Compounding these trickster aspects, the Joker ethos is verbally explicated as such by his psychiatrist, who describes his madness as "super-sanity." Where "sanity" previously suggested acquiescence with cultural codes, the addition of "super" implies that this common "sanity" has been replaced by a superior form, in which perception and processing are completely ungoverned and unconstrained"

Old Post Nov 8th, 2013 03:11 PM
Click here to Send KillaKassara a Private Message Find more posts by KillaKassara Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote