KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Star Wars Canon becoming one canon

Star Wars Canon becoming one canon
Started by: DARTH POWER

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Darth Thor

Star Wars Canon becoming one canon

Old Post Jan 8th, 2014 12:52 PM
Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Intrepid37
Restricted

Account Restricted

I don't understand.

Old Post Jan 8th, 2014 05:31 PM
Click here to Send Intrepid37 a Private Message Find more posts by Intrepid37 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

^ Before when Lucas owned Star Wars, Canon was usually divided into 2 different canons. Lucas's canon (as in what's canon to him) and the rest of the EU comics and books which Lucas doesn't even read. This has always been a issue because even though Lucas would sometimes borrow elements from the EU, he would usually ignore it and even outright contradict it when making more Star Wars films and animations.

But now with Disney in charge they're claiming there won't be a distinction in the canonicity of anything they make. It will all just be canon. End of.

Old Post Jan 8th, 2014 06:44 PM
Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Intrepid37
Restricted

Account Restricted

Ah. That's nothing new to this forum, though, since this forum discussed the Film+EU continuity.

Old Post Jan 8th, 2014 06:56 PM
Click here to Send Intrepid37 a Private Message Find more posts by Intrepid37 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

I think people here will appreciate that Disney is making it all the same Canon now.

There was always issues in this forum when the movies or TCW would blatantly contradict the rest of the EU.

Old Post Jan 8th, 2014 08:10 PM
Excalibur2776
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by DARTH POWER
I think people here will appreciate that Disney is making it all the same Canon now.

There was always issues in this forum when the movies or TCW would blatantly contradict the rest of the EU.

But, there can be a downside of this. Maybe they will make certain characters non-canon to coincide with the new movies, like maybe Mara Jade, Thrawn, ect .......

Old Post Jan 8th, 2014 09:57 PM
Click here to Send Excalibur2776 a Private Message Find more posts by Excalibur2776 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

Originally posted by Excalibur2776
But, there can be a downside of this. Maybe they will make certain characters non-canon to coincide with the new movies, like maybe Mara Jade, Thrawn, ect .......

That's true. And that was always a possibility/probability as soon as the sequels were announced. Because they wanted to start fresh and Lucas himself would ignore previous eu canon.

But at least this move ensures that future eu canon will not suffer the same fate (in theory).

Old Post Jan 8th, 2014 10:57 PM
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

The most important part of that article is being overlooked: Tupac would have been Mace Windu.

Old Post Jan 9th, 2014 12:42 AM
Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Q99

Honestly I kinda feel that multi-level canon made sense. Or rather, at least in prioritizing what-trumps-what.

I'm going to keep counting the movies above other stuff ^^

Old Post Jan 9th, 2014 01:24 AM
Click here to Send Q99 a Private Message Find more posts by Q99 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

Originally posted by Q99
Honestly I kinda feel that multi-level canon made sense. Or rather, at least in prioritizing what-trumps-what.

I'm going to keep counting the movies above other stuff ^^

Well the main reason that was needed was Lucas's work would mostly ignore the EU so there were blatant contradictions everywhere.

But hopefully now making it all 1, the idea will be not to have blatant contradictions, so there shouldn't be any need to prioritize (in theory).

Of course it will be a b**** for the film makers not being allowed to contradict any future EU stuff.

Old Post Jan 9th, 2014 11:29 AM
Arhael
Devoid of reality

That doesn't make continuity safe though. For example X-Men Series, X-Men Animated Series, X-Men Evolution and Wolverine and the X-Men. All are X-Men, yet, plot is totally different. Same way they might create a film with events that contradict EU and not care like it's a totally different version of the same thing.

Old Post Jan 9th, 2014 04:24 PM
Click here to Send Arhael a Private Message Find more posts by Arhael Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

Originally posted by Arhael
That doesn't make continuity safe though. For example X-Men Series, X-Men Animated Series, X-Men Evolution and Wolverine and the X-Men. All are X-Men, yet, plot is totally different.

I think the difference is that with the X-Men the TV, Movie and Comics are not supposed to be a "Shared" Universe. Whilst with Star Wars it's all supposed to be part of the same Universe, whatever the medium.

For example "X-Men the movie" does not exist in the cartoons and comics. However "Star Wars:A New Hope" is part of the continuity of all Star Wars material.

Same way they might create a film with events that contradict EU and not care like it's a totally different version of the same thing.

That's what they've always done, but I think this is Disney saying they're going to take more care with that. Probably have EU experts working with the film makers.

However this is only true for any future EU. Any EU made in the past is still under risk of being wiped out (as far as I understand).

Old Post Jan 9th, 2014 05:41 PM
Based
iPinoy

That doesn't make continuity safe though. For example X-Men Series, X-Men Animated Series, X-Men Evolution and Wolverine and the X-Men. All are X-Men, yet, plot is totally different. Same way they might create a film with events that contradict EU and not care like it's a totally different version of the same thing.

Except those aren't "one canon" it's blatantly separate universes. However I agree with your concerns though I'm still skeptical about keeping continuity in check.

Old Post Jan 10th, 2014 03:04 AM
Click here to Send Based a Private Message Find more posts by Based Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

There will always be mistakes. Heck there's countless mistakes between the X-Men movies which are all in the same continuity and medium. But at least now in SW they won't be doing it knowingly or purposely.

Adi Gallia's death in TCW for instance was a big contradiction that they full well knew about when doing it. That sort of thing is likely to stop now.

Old Post Jan 10th, 2014 09:26 AM
Gambler
Galaxy's most wanted

A welcome step!

Old Post Jan 10th, 2014 01:53 PM
Click here to Send Gambler a Private Message Find more posts by Gambler Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Based
iPinoy

Originally posted by DARTH POWER
There will always be mistakes. Heck there's countless mistakes between the X-Men movies which are all in the same continuity and medium. But at least now in SW they won't be doing it knowingly or purposely.

Adi Gallia's death in TCW for instance was a big contradiction that they full well knew about when doing it. That sort of thing is likely to stop now.

Well I'm sure they aren't going to write material that contradicts their own material.

I'm not so sure that they won't retcon major parts of the universe, like saying KOTOR never happened or that Luke never got married or whatever.

Old Post Jan 11th, 2014 08:39 AM
Click here to Send Based a Private Message Find more posts by Based Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Abu-Bactr

Most likely LOTF and FOTJ will be retconned and i have 0 problem with that.

Old Post Jan 17th, 2014 09:47 PM
Click here to Send Abu-Bactr a Private Message Find more posts by Abu-Bactr Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Q99

Originally posted by Shey Tapani
Most likely LOTF and FOTJ will be retconned and i have 0 problem with that.

No loss there.

Though unfortunately, that also catches the Legacy comics in the mix.

Old Post Jan 18th, 2014 05:18 AM
Click here to Send Q99 a Private Message Find more posts by Q99 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Based
iPinoy

Apparently the rumors say we're losing everything from post-ROTJ. There's a lot of shit but there's a lot of quality stuff there too.

Old Post Jan 18th, 2014 05:22 AM
Q99

I think this is a plot by the One Sith.

One Canon, one sith, neatly probably eliminates their rival New Jedi Order, think about it....

Old Post Jan 18th, 2014 05:28 AM