KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Is Drew Karapashyn a bad author

Is Drew Karapashyn a bad author
Started by: Darth Abonis

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Darth Abonis

Is Drew Karapashyn a bad author

I always regarded Drew as my favorite Star Wars author. The Darth Bane trilogy is priceless. Now I'm getting people on this forum ripping on him, one person even saying he's the worst. If he is the worst, then who is good? And WHY is he bad?

Old Post Nov 8th, 2014 07:28 PM
Click here to Send Darth Abonis a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Abonis Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

Revan gave me Ebola.

"There is only Revan. Only he can shape this galaxy as it is meant to be shaped."

Old Post Nov 8th, 2014 07:29 PM
Click here to Send Jaggarath a Private Message Find more posts by Jaggarath Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
carthage
PLEASE PROTECT ME STONES

The Bane trilogy books are among the worst in the EU.

"Happiness is a lie. Life is horror. The light is always dying all across the universe. The last star will flicker out someday, when it does, all that remains is shadow. And I will be its king!"'-Amahl Farouk

Old Post Nov 8th, 2014 07:34 PM
Click here to Send carthage a Private Message Find more posts by carthage Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nargaroth

As repetitive as it was, I liked the Bane trilogy, though Revan was bad, and it's shame because TOR is probably my favorite era. About the author he is nothing special to me.

Darth Vader Respect Thread (Part 3)
--
¦ Other Respect Threads ¦

Old Post Nov 8th, 2014 07:35 PM
Click here to Send Nargaroth a Private Message Find more posts by Nargaroth Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nalaniel

There are worse authors out there. He's okay.

Old Post Nov 8th, 2014 07:36 PM
Click here to Send Nalaniel a Private Message Find more posts by Nalaniel Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
FreshestSlice
Eternal Commander

Every single one of his novels has been trash, so probably.

Old Post Nov 8th, 2014 07:42 PM
Click here to Send FreshestSlice a Private Message Find more posts by FreshestSlice Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NemeBro

"The man leapt high in the air, flipping backward to avoid the deadly
electrical conflagration."

This is why he was bad.

I'd crack open the Revan novel to post the first couple of paragraphs as well, but there is the very real chance I wouldn't survive the experience.

Now, maybe his plot and characters are cool. I haven't read enough to judge whether or not that is the case.

But his actual writing is incredibly awkward and frankly shitty. IIRC Revan had a grammatical error in like the third sentence.

Old Post Nov 8th, 2014 08:15 PM
Click here to Send NemeBro a Private Message Find more posts by NemeBro Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Q99

He seems fine when doing a new path, but he's bad at research and handling existing characters he has less experience with.

Like how in Revan, so much was about his new character Scourge, and the Exile was so badly handled.

Old Post Nov 8th, 2014 08:18 PM
Click here to Send Q99 a Private Message Find more posts by Q99 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ares834

He is horrible. Easily one of the worst SW writers. His plots are simplistic and typically revolve around the hero "leveling up", his prose is laughably pedestrian for a novelist, and his characters are paper thin. His only decent novel was PoD but that's because he was able to draw from the far superior Jedi vs Sith comic and could take all the most badass Bane moments.

Old Post Nov 8th, 2014 08:33 PM
Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Fated Xtasy
Kami

Revan sort of stained his name imo, He didn't handle characters like the exile quite well, lacked the necessary research and just retconned a great deal of KoTOR, he's not very consistent, however. It was just Revan, I'm on chapter seven of PoD and i find it completely amazing, nice character development, background, fighting scenes, it's great. Bantha has nothing but praise for the fatal alliance novel, His Mass Effect work is absolutely loved by fans of the series, not to mention he did wonders for KoTOR 1. The man is a good writer, maybe it's just me, but even from the little excerpt that I've seen on here, i feel as though he was rushed by the company and had no room for doing what he wanted to do.

He's not the worse writer in SW EU history imo, he just got pushed to release a novel by a certain date.

Old Post Nov 8th, 2014 09:04 PM
Click here to Send Fated Xtasy a Private Message Find more posts by Fated Xtasy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Emperordmb
LSDMB

People can't say he's the worst writer after seeing what the Bioware peeps are doing with the new update.

Shadilay my brothers and sisters. With any luck we will throw off the shackles of normie oppression. We have nothing to lose but our chains! Praise Kek!
THE MOTTO IS "IN KEK WE TRUST"

Old Post Nov 8th, 2014 09:06 PM
Click here to Send Emperordmb a Private Message Find more posts by Emperordmb Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Fated Xtasy
Revan sort of stained his name imo, He didn't handle characters like the exile quite well, lacked the necessary research and just retconned a great deal of KoTOR, he's not very consistent, however. It was just Revan, I'm on chapter seven of PoD and i find it completely amazing, nice character development, background, fighting scenes, it's great. Bantha has nothing but praise for the fatal alliance novel, His Mass Effect work is absolutely loved by fans of the series, not to mention he did wonders for KoTOR 1. The man is a good writer, maybe it's just me, but even from the little excerpt that I've seen on here, i feel as though he was rushed by the company and had no room for doing what he wanted to do.

He's not the worse writer in SW EU history imo, he just got pushed to release a novel by a certain date.

He is a good video game writer, not a novelist.

"There is only Revan. Only he can shape this galaxy as it is meant to be shaped."

Old Post Nov 8th, 2014 09:16 PM
Click here to Send Jaggarath a Private Message Find more posts by Jaggarath Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ares834

Originally posted by DarthAnt66

thumb up

Last edited by ares834 on Nov 8th, 2014 at 09:32 PM

Old Post Nov 8th, 2014 09:30 PM
Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

And to be honest, half of the plot of TOR:Revan was directly from Obsidian's dialogue in KotOR2 (Mandalore's Mask quest; Revan goes to find Ancient Sith).

Old Post Nov 8th, 2014 09:32 PM
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by DarthAnt66

thumb up

Old Post Nov 8th, 2014 09:32 PM
Click here to Send Nephthys a Private Message Find more posts by Nephthys Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
FreshestSlice
Eternal Commander

Originally posted by NemeBro
I'd crack open the Revan novel to post the first couple of paragraphs as well, but there is the very real chance I wouldn't survive the experience.

HERE THE DARKNESS REIGNS ETERNAL. There is no sun, no dawn; just the perpetual gloom of night. The only illumination comes from jagged forks of lightning, carving a wicked path through angry clouds. In their savage wake thunder shreds the sky, unleashing a torrent of hard, cold rain.
The storm is coming, and there is no escape.
Revan’s eyes snapped open, the primal fury of his nightmare wrenching him awake for the third night in a row.
He lay still and quiet, turning his focus inward to ease the pounding of his heart as he silently recited the opening line of the Jedi mantra.
There is no emotion; there is peace.
A sense of calm settled over him, washing away the irrational terror of his dream. Yet he knew better than to merely dismiss it. The storm that haunted him each time he closed his eyes was more than just a nightmare. Conjured up from the deepest corners of his mind, the storm had meaning. But try as he might, Revan couldn’t figure out what his subconscious was trying to tell him.
Was it a warning? A long-forgotten memory? A vision of the future? All three?
Careful not to wake his wife, he rolled out of bed and went into the refresher to splash some cool water on his face. Catching a glimpse of himself in the mirror, he stopped to study his reflection.
Even now, two standard years after rediscovering his true identity, he still had trouble reconciling the face in the mirror with the man he had been before the Jedi Council had turned him back to the light.
Revan: Jedi; hero; traitor; conqueror; villain; savior. He was all these things and more. He was a living legend; the embodiment of myth and folklore; a figure that transcended history. Yet all he saw staring back at him was an ordinary man who hadn’t slept in three nights.
Fatigue was taking its toll. His angular features had become thin and drawn. His pale skin accentuated the dark circles under eyes that stared back at him from deep hollows.
Bracing a hand on either side of the sink, he slumped his head and let out a long, low sigh, his black, shoulder-length hair falling forward to cover his face like a dark curtain. After several seconds he stood up straight, using the fingers of both hands to sweep his hair back into place.
Moving quietly, he made his way from the refresher and across the small living room of his apartment. He proceeded out onto the balcony, where he stopped and stared out across Coruscant’s endless cityscape.Traffic in the galactic capital never stopped, and he found the constant buzz and blur of shuttles speeding by soothing. He leaned out over the railing of the balcony as far as he could, his eyes unable to pierce the darkness to make out the planet’s surface hundreds of stories below.
“Don’t jump. I don’t want to have to clean up the mess.”
He turned his head at the sound of Bastila’s voice behind him.
She stood at the threshold of the balcony door, the bedsheet draped around her shoulders to ward off the night’s chill. Her long brown hair—
normally pulled back up from her forehead into a bun on top and a short ponytail below—hung loose and sleep-tousled. Her face was only partially illuminated by the glow of the city below, yet he could see her lips pressed into a wry smile. Despite her joking words, he could see real concern etched on her features.
“Sorry,” he said, stepping away from the rail and turning toward her. “Didn’t mean to wake you. Just needed to clear my head.”

Old Post Nov 8th, 2014 09:58 PM
Click here to Send FreshestSlice a Private Message Find more posts by FreshestSlice Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NemeBro

Literally literary terrorism.

Old Post Nov 8th, 2014 10:48 PM
Click here to Send NemeBro a Private Message Find more posts by NemeBro Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Selenial
I Choose Violence

Originally posted by NemeBro
Literally literary terrorism.

Old Post Nov 8th, 2014 11:13 PM
Click here to Send Selenial a Private Message Find more posts by Selenial Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Abonis

SO WHO DO YOU GUYS THINK IS A GOOD AUTHOR!!!

Old Post Nov 9th, 2014 12:14 AM
Click here to Send Darth Abonis a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Abonis Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ares834

Luceno and Stover both come to mind.

Old Post Nov 9th, 2014 12:18 AM