KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Was Mace Windu beating Palpatine a fluke?

Was Mace Windu beating Palpatine a fluke?
Started by: The Ellimist

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (8): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
The Ellimist

Was Mace Windu beating Palpatine a fluke?

Was that vapaad at work or did Windu also turn in a peak performance?

Old Post Jul 13th, 2016 10:26 AM
Click here to Send The Ellimist a Private Message Find more posts by The Ellimist Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SunRazer
Outer God

Vaapad helped but I've always maintained that it was the result of Sidious influencing the fight. He let himself lose as he felt Anakin approach (the RotS novel confirms that he knew the Council/Anakin were coming - separately).

Old Post Jul 13th, 2016 10:29 AM
Click here to Send SunRazer a Private Message Find more posts by SunRazer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AncientPower
The Chosen One

It was his state of mind and the situation at work.

Within your furnace heart, you burn in your own flame. This is how it feels to be Anakin Skywalker.

Old Post Jul 13th, 2016 10:30 AM
Click here to Send AncientPower a Private Message Find more posts by AncientPower Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Ellimist

^ (Nova) you're a Sheev truther?

Click here to Send The Ellimist a Private Message Find more posts by The Ellimist Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SunRazer
Outer God

Considering I'm called a Sheev wanker by quite a few people and I went to the effort of making four respect threads for him - yeah, I'd say I'm a Sheevite. I've always maintained his supremacy, including against Vitiate, and even when Valkorion came up, I didn't defect.

And now the flak comes.

Click here to Send SunRazer a Private Message Find more posts by SunRazer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Ellimist

I mean you're one of those "Palpatine threw the fight" folks.

Anyway, I don't think he threw the fight, given that Mace could've just stepped forward and cut his head off right away instead of standing there like a dumbass and doing a wild over the head swing.

Old Post Jul 13th, 2016 10:33 AM
SunRazer
Outer God

It's not like it's a conspiracy theory, lol. There's quite a bit of evidence to support it. The website's declared that it's up for interpretation either way, so there's likely to never be a conclusive answer on this.

Old Post Jul 13th, 2016 10:34 AM
AncientPower
The Chosen One

The novel's depiction is pretty self-explanatory.

Within your furnace heart, you burn in your own flame. This is how it feels to be Anakin Skywalker.

Old Post Jul 13th, 2016 10:35 AM
Click here to Send AncientPower a Private Message Find more posts by AncientPower Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MS Warehouse

quote: (post)
Originally posted by AncientPower
The novel's depiction is pretty self-explanatory.

Old Post Jul 13th, 2016 10:55 AM
Click here to Send MS Warehouse a Private Message Find more posts by MS Warehouse Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
relentless1
Dark Overlord of KMC

I've said it before and ill say it again: Sidious took a dive in order to turn Anakin, its all there in the film if one chooses to see it...

Old Post Jul 13th, 2016 10:57 AM
Click here to Send relentless1 a Private Message Find more posts by relentless1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ziggystardust
Restricted

Account Restricted

Palpatine was bested folks. Even with the Galatic unbalancing boosting his abilties.

Old Post Jul 13th, 2016 10:57 AM
Click here to Send Ziggystardust a Private Message Find more posts by Ziggystardust Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

Re: Was Mace Windu beating Palpatine a fluke?

Originally posted by The Ellimist
Was that vapaad at work or did Windu also turn in a peak performance?

I'm going with Peak Performance for Windu.

Just like Kenobi bested Maul+Savage one time, Windu bested Palpatine one time.

I also think different factors played into the fight turning it into close combat right from the onset, which gave Mace his best shot at winning.

I'm certain Mace would have lost if it was him in place of Yoda in the end Senate Room battle.

Old Post Jul 13th, 2016 11:30 AM
Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sinious
Mr. Sheev Determination

Originally posted by SunRazer
Vaapad helped but I've always maintained that it was the result of Sidious influencing the fight. He let himself lose as he felt Anakin approach (the RotS novel confirms that he knew the Council/Anakin were coming - separately).
Agreed.

Old Post Jul 13th, 2016 11:57 AM
Click here to Send Sinious a Private Message Find more posts by Sinious Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DarthAnt66
The Returned

Palpatine threw the fight.

"The Emperor had three-hundred years to break this man . . . and he never succumbed?"

Old Post Jul 13th, 2016 01:38 PM
Click here to Send DarthAnt66 a Private Message Find more posts by DarthAnt66 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BazookaMaster

I don't care to be fair, this debate is polluting the internet for 10 years

Old Post Jul 13th, 2016 02:09 PM
Click here to Send BazookaMaster a Private Message Find more posts by BazookaMaster Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Petrus
Debonaire Member

Yeah I doubt Sidious wanted to turn his face into shit.

"Do not go gentle into that good night"

Old Post Jul 13th, 2016 02:46 PM
Click here to Send Petrus a Private Message Find more posts by Petrus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Syndicate

Originally posted by DarthAnt66
Palpatine threw the fight.

Old Post Jul 13th, 2016 03:05 PM
Click here to Send Syndicate a Private Message Find more posts by Syndicate Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
quanchi112
Greatest film ever

Palpatine was bested and thinking he threw the fight makes no sense on any level.

Old Post Jul 13th, 2016 03:09 PM
Click here to Send quanchi112 a Private Message Find more posts by quanchi112 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Trocity

It does make sense actually. He was forcing Anakin to choose. Either Mace kills Palpatine and Anakin can't save Padme, or he stops Windu from killing Palpatine and gets to save Padme's life.

He chose the latter, so there was no going back, and his transition to the Dark Side was complete.

"Sometimes, for the dream to live.... the dreamer must die."

Old Post Jul 13th, 2016 03:15 PM
Click here to Send Trocity a Private Message Find more posts by Trocity Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
quanchi112
Greatest film ever

Originally posted by Trocity
It does make sense actually. He was forcing Anakin to choose. Either Mace kills Palpatine and Anakin can't save Padme, or he stops Windu from killing Palpatine and gets to save Padme's life.

He chose the latter, so there was no going back, and his transition to the Dark Side was complete.
He forced him to choose after his attempts at killing Windu failed with the force lightning after he had been disarmed. Palpatine made the most of his submissive position. His dialogue makes no sense prior to begging for Anakin's help, "You will die," if this was initial plan. It's a popular theory but nothing in the films support this and Lucas himself has stated Windu overpowered him which means Palpatine didn't throw the fight.

Old Post Jul 13th, 2016 03:22 PM
Click here to Send quanchi112 a Private Message Find more posts by quanchi112 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote