KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » How Star Wars characters interpret History

How Star Wars characters interpret History
Started by: carthage

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
carthage
PLEASE PROTECT ME STONES

How Star Wars characters interpret History

In Darth Plagueis it's said that Darth Bane was seen as a mythical figure, and in LOTF. Caedus was able to see Vader assault then jedi temple via flow walking. What are some notable examples of characters in text discussing historical events and sharing their opinions on them. What did X character think of an event that happened that shaped a planets history, or if they were a member of the Jedi or Sith order how did they plan to improve on the failures from the past?

"Happiness is a lie. Life is horror. The light is always dying all across the universe. The last star will flicker out someday, when it does, all that remains is shadow. And I will be its king!"'-Amahl Farouk

Old Post Aug 18th, 2016 05:36 PM
Click here to Send carthage a Private Message Find more posts by carthage Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

Revan is regarded as a fictional figure in Star Wars by most historians as of Galactic Empire.

"Jedi holocron gatekeeper Llia Orpin provides an extensive account of Jedi history, including its possible origins on Tython, via series of fables called "the Revan Mythologies." Unfortunately, the myths fail to provide a precise location for Tython and lack corroborating evidence for its existence, making it difficult for scholars to accept her version of history. Most scholars consider the myths derivative of the Qel-Droma Epics, updated to to better acculturate Jedi younglings of the day. Many of the stories in the Revan Mythologies feature a mysterious alien species, the Rakata, as the antagonist. The reptilian species is said to have dominated the galaxy using exotic machinery and hyperspace-capable ships that employed the Force as a power source. Jedi heroes in the Revan Mythologies often discover Rakatan devices of astonishing power and were forced to choose between destroying the devices and being corrupted by their power." (page 91)

The same applies for Ulic-Qel Droma, in which his story was chronicled in the Qel-Droma Epics:

"Empress Teta is a major setting in a series of epic poems set thousands of years in the past that detail the mythical journey of Jedi Knight Ulic Qel-Droma... Historians believe the epic poems taught young Jedi the dangers of the dark side, but some believe the stories originate in historical fact. Archaeological institutes have launched numerous expeditions in vain attempts to verify the legends." (page 61)

The phrase "Revan and Malak" was used sort of synonymous as, like, "badass" by many:

“No,” Han said firmly before anyone else could voice an opinion. “If they get loose, they’ll be coming back here. We stay.”

“If they get loose?” Dozer retorted. “Don’t be ridiculous. Who do you think they are, Revan and Malak? I’m telling you, they’re hammer squash. And so are we if we stay here.”

"There is only Revan. Only he can shape this galaxy as it is meant to be shaped."

Old Post Aug 18th, 2016 06:03 PM
Click here to Send Jaggarath a Private Message Find more posts by Jaggarath Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
darthbane77

quote: (post)
Originally posted by DarthAnt66
Revan is regarded as a fictional figure in Star Wars by most historians as of Galactic Empire.

"Jedi holocron gatekeeper Llia Orpin provides an extensive account of Jedi history, including its possible origins on Tython, via series of fables called "the Revan Mythologies." Unfortunately, the myths fail to provide a precise location for Tython and lack corroborating evidence for its existence, making it difficult for scholars to accept her version of history. Most scholars consider the myths derivative of the Qel-Droma Epics, updated to to better acculturate Jedi younglings of the day. Many of the stories in the Revan Mythologies feature a mysterious alien species, the Rakata, as the antagonist. The reptilian species is said to have dominated the galaxy using exotic machinery and hyperspace-capable ships that employed the Force as a power source. Jedi heroes in the Revan Mythologies often discover Rakatan devices of astonishing power and were forced to choose between destroying the devices and being corrupted by their power." (page 91)

The same applies for Ulic-Qel Droma, in which his story was chronicled in the Qel-Droma Epics:

"Empress Teta is a major setting in a series of epic poems set thousands of years in the past that detail the mythical journey of Jedi Knight Ulic Qel-Droma... Historians believe the epic poems taught young Jedi the dangers of the dark side, but some believe the stories originate in historical fact. Archaeological institutes have launched numerous expeditions in vain attempts to verify the legends." (page 61)

The phrase "Revan and Malak" was used sort of synonymous as, like, "badass" by many:

“No,” Han said firmly before anyone else could voice an opinion. “If they get loose, they’ll be coming back here. We stay.”

“If they get loose?” Dozer retorted. “Don’t be ridiculous. Who do you think they are, Revan and Malak? I’m telling you, they’re hammer squash. And so are we if we stay here.”
Holy shit, I didn't know any of that. I had always wondered if Palpatine and Vader knew of Revan and Malak, or how the Empire saw the history of what they did. That was pretty cool.

Old Post Aug 18th, 2016 06:44 PM
Click here to Send darthbane77 a Private Message Find more posts by darthbane77 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zentrex
Hi!

Does anybody know where those quotes are from?

Old Post Mar 29th, 2020 08:40 AM
Click here to Send Zentrex a Private Message Find more posts by Zentrex Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zentrex
Hi!

Okay, seems like the first one is from the Nexus of Power sourcebook from 2016:
https://www.reddit.com/r/swtor/comm...nexus_of_power/

The next one refrences "Dozer" who is a character that only appeared in the Legends book "Scoundrels."

So now this raises the question, is the info from Nexus of Power canon, or legends?

Old Post Mar 31st, 2020 09:12 PM
Click here to Send Zentrex a Private Message Find more posts by Zentrex Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zenwolf

Originally posted by Zentrex
Okay, seems like the first one is from the Nexus of Power sourcebook from 2016:
https://www.reddit.com/r/swtor/comm...nexus_of_power/

The next one refrences "Dozer" who is a character that only appeared in the Legends book "Scoundrels."

So now this raises the question, is the info from Nexus of Power canon, or legends?

The F&D books are weird, I don't think they are strictly Canon, but they aren't Legends...or at least a few of them wouldn't be? I dunno...I don't think there's been a verdict on it.

Old Post Mar 31st, 2020 09:53 PM
Click here to Send Zenwolf a Private Message Find more posts by Zenwolf Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Yeah, RPG guides are a bit dubious.

Granted, the Nexus book was released in 2016 and does carry the Disney brand, but RPG supplementary material doesn't have to adhere strictly to either canon, so it's kind of up in the air.

My opinion: only the info it provides that meshes with current canon should be usable. Everything else should be off the table until corroborated by a more reliable source.

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Old Post Apr 1st, 2020 02:09 AM
Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zenwolf

Originally posted by Galan007
Yeah, RPG guides are a bit dubious.

Granted, the Nexus book was released in 2016 and does carry the Disney brand, but RPG supplementary material doesn't have to adhere strictly to either canon, so it's kind of up in the air.

My opinion: only the info it provides that meshes with current canon should be usable. Everything else should be off the table until corroborated by a more reliable source.

So basically S-Canon.

Old Post Apr 1st, 2020 02:50 AM
Click here to Send Zenwolf a Private Message Find more posts by Zenwolf Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

I guess so, yeah.

What do you make of it, Zen?

Old Post Apr 1st, 2020 03:09 AM
Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zenwolf

Originally posted by Galan007
I guess so, yeah.

What do you make of it, Zen?

I mean yeah, same as you. Take what is needed and dismiss the rest.

It's kinda what I've been saying for awhile now with the whole T-canon and the supplement material that follows it for Legends, just whatever is in C-Canon you dismiss and vice versa. This way it's sort of a compromise, since not everyone is on board with TCW being just Canon.

Old Post Apr 1st, 2020 03:34 AM
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

thumb up

Old Post Apr 1st, 2020 04:08 AM
relentless1
Dark Overlord of KMC

there's mention made of Exar Kun in Plaguies

Old Post Apr 1st, 2020 09:14 AM
Click here to Send relentless1 a Private Message Find more posts by relentless1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zentrex
Hi!

Originally posted by Zenwolf
I mean yeah, same as you. Take what is needed and dismiss the rest.

It's kinda what I've been saying for awhile now with the whole T-canon and the supplement material that follows it for Legends, just whatever is in C-Canon you dismiss and vice versa. This way it's sort of a compromise, since not everyone is on board with TCW being just Canon.

thumb up
Originally posted by relentless1
there's mention made of Exar Kun in Plaguies

Yeah, so probably Legends S-Canon.

Old Post Apr 1st, 2020 02:48 PM
Zenwolf

Originally posted by Zentrex
thumb up

Yeah, so probably Legends S-Canon.

Plagueis is Legends as is Kun, it would be C-Canon not S.

Old Post Apr 1st, 2020 04:12 PM
Zentrex
Hi!

I meant the entire sourcebook, not specifically the part that mentions Kun and Plagueis. Of course, anything from an S-Canon source that is repeated by another source is C-Canon, so Kun's and Plagueis' existence is C-Canon.

Old Post Apr 2nd, 2020 01:42 AM