KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Double Standards in debates?

Double Standards in debates?
Started by: The_Tempest

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
The_Tempest

Double Standards in debates?

For some time now, various users have complained about the prevalence of double standards being used in debates. Some believe it is as detrimental as trolling to the debate culture here. Others think it is an accusation that is often overblown.

Let's discuss the problem and see if we can arrive at viable solutions.

Old Post Sep 14th, 2016 03:05 PM
Click here to Send The_Tempest a Private Message Find more posts by The_Tempest Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Emperordmb
LSDMB

Translation: Here's a thread to ridicule members of the forum, because c'mon what else is a topic like this gonna be used for

Shadilay my brothers and sisters. With any luck we will throw off the shackles of normie oppression. We have nothing to lose but our chains! Praise Kek!
THE MOTTO IS "IN KEK WE TRUST"

Old Post Sep 14th, 2016 03:11 PM
Click here to Send Emperordmb a Private Message Find more posts by Emperordmb Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The_Tempest

Your remarks have been uncommonly petty and whiny of late.

You complain about the debate culture all the time. And yet you post often. So let's have a civil conversation like adults to see if we can remedy the issue.

Old Post Sep 14th, 2016 03:15 PM
Click here to Send The_Tempest a Private Message Find more posts by The_Tempest Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MS Warehouse

quote: (post)
Originally posted by The_Tempest
Your remarks have been uncommonly petty and whiny of late.

You complain about the debate culture all the time. And yet you post often. So let's have a civil conversation like adults to see if we can remedy the issue.

Double standards have existed since the dawn of time. Double standards have existed on the internet since the dawn of the internet. Everybody engages in it to a certain extent, whether consciously or subconsciously. It's probably better to call it out everytime you see it, even at the risk of derailing a debate. Otherwise the debate spirals out of control.

Old Post Sep 14th, 2016 03:16 PM
Click here to Send MS Warehouse a Private Message Find more posts by MS Warehouse Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The_Tempest

Originally posted by MS Warehouse
Double standards have existed since the dawn of time. Double standards have existed on the internet since the dawn of the internet. Everybody engages in it to a certain extent, whether consciously or subconsciously. It's probably better to call it out everytime you see it, even at the risk of derailing a debate. Otherwise the debate spirals out of control.

Agreed that you'll never eliminate it entirely. And I agree that those who abuse it should be called out. Should moderators get involved, as they do with trolling?

Old Post Sep 14th, 2016 03:20 PM
JKBart
Restricted

Account Restricted

Great thread, very inspiring

They are angry because they have been forced to recognize that their hour has arrived; that the time has come to surrender power to Shimrra and the new order."

Old Post Sep 14th, 2016 03:27 PM
Click here to Send JKBart a Private Message Find more posts by JKBart Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Emperordmb
LSDMB

Not really. This isn't an accusation often levied towards me. What I really expect is for this topic to turn into three pages of people bitching about Neph.

Shadilay my brothers and sisters. With any luck we will throw off the shackles of normie oppression. We have nothing to lose but our chains! Praise Kek!
THE MOTTO IS "IN KEK WE TRUST"

Old Post Sep 14th, 2016 03:27 PM
Click here to Send Emperordmb a Private Message Find more posts by Emperordmb Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The_Tempest

This isn't about pointing fingers or naming names, really.
Anyone else want to address the issue? Discuss it at length?

Old Post Sep 14th, 2016 03:28 PM
The_Tempest

Originally posted by Emperordmb
Not really. This isn't an accusation often levied towards me. What I really expect is for this topic to turn into three pages of people bitching about Neph.

You're the only one here to mention him by name.
Let's avoid a self fulfilling prophecy.

Old Post Sep 14th, 2016 03:30 PM
MS Warehouse

Agreed that you'll never eliminate it entirely. And I agree that those who abuse it should be called out. Should moderators get involved, as they do with trolling?

I don't think so. That would require a mod to be actively involved in every debate every single day and nobody has that kind of time. I would be ok with it if the mod got involved after he's had time to read over everything but that would severely hamper the debate wayyyyyyy after the fact an again, we don't have mods who will do all that, or even have mods.

Old Post Sep 14th, 2016 03:31 PM
Click here to Send MS Warehouse a Private Message Find more posts by MS Warehouse Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The_Tempest

So it's not so much that you have an issue with the idea as it is that you think it's not feasible with KMC's laissez faire style of government?

Old Post Sep 14th, 2016 03:37 PM
MS Warehouse

So it's not so much that you have an issue with the idea as it is that you think it's not feasible with KMC's laissez faire style of government?

Correct. I'm not so opposed to the idea as I am to the impossibility of it as of the current status quo. Trying to get a mod here has been harder than winning the lottery. Trying to get multiple who both have the time to engage in each debate AND do it objectively while correctly pointing out double standards?

(please log in to view the image)

Old Post Sep 14th, 2016 03:40 PM
UCanShootMyNova

I don't think a mod would need to be present 24/7.

I think after laying down a few punishments just the idea that you could get banned from pulling the usual shit would keep people from doing it as often.

"I worked Jack in" - DMB, Gchat, 2017.

Old Post Sep 14th, 2016 03:48 PM
Click here to Send UCanShootMyNova a Private Message Find more posts by UCanShootMyNova Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ursumeles
Traitor

Originally posted by chicken balls
but u pull that shit each thread bro

While I disagree with Syn in many opinions, he is a good debater, lol.

Old Post Sep 14th, 2016 03:56 PM
Click here to Send Ursumeles a Private Message Find more posts by Ursumeles Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Fated Xtasy
Kami

For some time now, various users have complained about the prevalence of double standards being used in debates. Some believe it is as detrimental as trolling to the debate culture here. Others think it is an accusation that is often overblown.

Let's discuss the problem and see if we can arrive at viable solutions.

Yes there are.

There have been many times in debates that I've been apart of that the user has displayed a great deal of double standards.

Very recently I've gone back to old debates and watched at how cringy it was to see them claim a certain issue and then completely back track that same day

That would be fine if, for example, like DMB once claiming that Cognus was above Vader in a top 10 Sith list, he easily realized his mistake and changed it after time past. Which is fine, we've all done dumb shit as newbs. Case and point, Carrick vs Barsenthor

But some people, either due to a lack of foresight, mistakenly or knowingly argue the exact same thing as I, yet disregard it in the same post

It would be frustrating, had I not have the utter joy to destroy them in one fell swoop. Which I will PM you, Temp.

The only ones I have debated, and can say with certainty that have no double standards, are the following;

King Joker

Sinious

Sunrazer/Nova

Wollfmyth

Old Post Sep 14th, 2016 03:56 PM
Click here to Send Fated Xtasy a Private Message Find more posts by Fated Xtasy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Fated Xtasy
Kami

Originally posted by Fated Xtasy
Yes there are.

There have been many times in debates that I've been apart of that the user has displayed a great deal of double standards.

Very recently I've gone back to old debates and watched at how cringy it was to see them claim a certain issue and then completely back track that same day

That would be fine if, for example, like DMB once claiming that Cognus was above Vader in a top 10 Sith list, he easily realized his mistake and changed it after time past. Which is fine, we've all done dumb shit as newbs. Case and point, Carrick vs Barsenthor

But some people, either due to a lack of foresight, mistakenly or knowingly argue the exact same thing as I, yet disregard it in the same post

It would be frustrating, had I not have the utter joy to destroy them in one fell swoop. Which I will PM you, Temp.

The only ones I have debated, and can say with certainty that have no double standards, are the following;

King Joker

Sinious

Sunrazer/Nova

Wollfmyth

Quoting the edited one

Old Post Sep 14th, 2016 03:59 PM
Click here to Send Fated Xtasy a Private Message Find more posts by Fated Xtasy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ursumeles
Traitor

I have very likely, almost save, double standarts as well, lol. Most have.

Old Post Sep 14th, 2016 04:02 PM
Click here to Send Ursumeles a Private Message Find more posts by Ursumeles Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
UCanShootMyNova

Originally posted by Fated Xtasy
Wollfmyth

0_0

Old Post Sep 14th, 2016 04:04 PM
Click here to Send UCanShootMyNova a Private Message Find more posts by UCanShootMyNova Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ursumeles
Traitor

He maybe has, but not as strong, imo.
The only one, who I don't think I have seen double Standarts is Nova, but he stomps almost anyone in a debate.

Old Post Sep 14th, 2016 04:09 PM
JKBart
Restricted

Account Restricted

damn nice pic

They are angry because they have been forced to recognize that their hour has arrived; that the time has come to surrender power to Shimrra and the new order."

Old Post Sep 14th, 2016 04:15 PM
Click here to Send JKBart a Private Message Find more posts by JKBart Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote