KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Form V Shien variant weak against saber wielding opponents ?

Form V Shien variant weak against saber wielding opponents ?
Started by: TheKnight

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
TheKnight

Form V Shien variant weak against saber wielding opponents ?

I hear this opinion frequently. It's this conjecture or is this actually ever said on a canon/legend source?

It doesn't make sense to me for a form derived from soresu to apparently have bad defense against saber wielding opponent's.

Old Post Feb 17th, 2017 10:35 AM
Click here to Send TheKnight a Private Message Find more posts by TheKnight Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SunRazer
Back From The Dead

Don't believe such a thing's ever stated. Lightsabers: A Guide to the Weapons of the Force claims that it uses parries in order to force their opponent to drop their guard. It's clearly designed for dueling in part, even if it's mostly just a more offensive version of Soresu.

I don't know if the form's derived from Soresu, though. I do know that it was made in response to Form III's offensive limitations.

Old Post Feb 19th, 2017 02:15 AM
Click here to Send SunRazer a Private Message Find more posts by SunRazer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Selenial
I Choose Violence

Im not entirely sure if the phrase "weak against" has ever been used, but it's strongly implied.

"Form V’s Shien variation exploits the ability of the lightsaber to block a blaster bolt, and turns this defensive move into an offensive attack by deflecting the bolt deliberately toward an opponent. Form V’s Djem So variation is devoted specifically to lightsaber dueling."
- Jedi vs Sith: An Essential Guide to the Force

The focus on Shien's ability to block blaster bolts, juxtaposed with Djem So being a duelling form, implies that what you're asking is indeed true. While you can call the form "derived" from Soresu due to its placement in history, they're distinctively different forms, and Jedi vs Sith elaborates that they were invented to cover the weaknesses of Soresu and allow Jedi to face different groups of people.

"i admire u choose cersei as ur avi sel. at least u know that ur one sick *****, i can respect that" - Inturpid.

Old Post Feb 19th, 2017 02:25 AM
Click here to Send Selenial a Private Message Find more posts by Selenial Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote