KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » So did Palpatine want Anakin to kill him?

So did Palpatine want Anakin to kill him?
Started by: The Ellimist

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
The Ellimist
The Shadow

So did Palpatine want Anakin to kill him?

Palpatine clearly expected Knightfall Vader to eventually challenge and overthrow him. It's a weird self-sacrificing angle that also applies to all Banite Sith, but it's especially bizarre with Palpatine because we then learn that he intends to become some sort of universal God.

Did he plan to somehow keep Vader under his thumb even if he hadn't lost his potential? Delusional. Was he going to kill him before he grew that powerful? Obviously not or why bother turning him? Was he planning to try to essence transfer into Anakin? Extremely risky given Anakin's innate power.

Did he change his mind and adopt the God-Emperor plan after Vader's injuries? If that were the case why would he want to turn Skywalker, and then allegedly want to rule forever with the Skywalkers as a "dynasty" by his side (at least in Legends)? An apprenticed Luke would clearly eventually try to overthrow him, and have a very good chance of succeeding.

So maybe finding a successor was plan A, becoming God himself was plan B, and we just ignore the ruling forever with Skywalkers by his side part?

Last edited by The Ellimist on Mar 7th, 2018 at 03:09 PM

Old Post Mar 7th, 2018 02:55 PM
Click here to Send The Ellimist a Private Message Find more posts by The Ellimist Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kurk
Restricted

Account Restricted

Probably yeah. Like a true sith, Palpatine was prepared to sacrifice his own interests to allow the lineage to grow more powerful. We see the same thing with Dooku in Dark Disciple. Yeah he's an arrogant c*nt with his own intentions of ruling at Sheev's side, but he's prepared to accept his inferiority to Vos and let him take the spot instead. This is also one of the reasons why he didn't rat out Sidious in RotS IMO.

"Technology equals might!" "Evolve or perish"

Old Post Mar 7th, 2018 03:02 PM
Click here to Send Kurk a Private Message Find more posts by Kurk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

I don't think Sheev ever believed Vader would turn on him, until he was literally hurling down the reactor shaft in RotJ. That said, I believe he was okay with having an apprentice that would never try to kill him, because his ultimate goal was to essentially become 'God' by attaining an ultimate power that would allow him to reshape the universe in his own image... And thanks to the World Between Worlds, Palpatine knew that such power was indeed attainable. He wanted this power more than anything, and I highly doubt that desire ended after his final temptation of Ezra in Rebels -- I imagine he continued seeking out a gateway to that realm up until his death.

Suffice to say, Palpatine seemed to regard Vader as more of a pawn/lapdog that simply did his bidding, rather than an eventual 'replacement'. Imo. /shrug

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Last edited by Galan007 on Mar 7th, 2018 at 03:57 PM

Old Post Mar 7th, 2018 03:48 PM
Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SheGotHerOwn
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Kurk
Probably yeah. Like a true sith, Palpatine was prepared to sacrifice his own interests to allow the lineage to grow more powerful. We see the same thing with Dooku in Dark Disciple. Yeah he's an arrogant c*nt with his own intentions of ruling at Sheev's side, but he's prepared to accept his inferiority to Vos and let him take the spot instead. This is also one of the reasons why he didn't rat out Sidious in RotS IMO.

sidious and many banite sith before him stopped following bane's rule of two tho, since they all wanted to be the final sith lmao

Old Post Mar 7th, 2018 03:53 PM
Click here to Send SheGotHerOwn a Private Message Find more posts by SheGotHerOwn Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Ellimist
The Shadow

Originally posted by Galan007
I don't think Sheev ever believed Vader would turn on him, until he was literally hurling down the reactor shaft in RotJ. That said, I believe he was okay with having an apprentice that would never try to kill him, because his ultimate goal was to essentially become 'God' by attaining an ultimate power that would allow him to reshape the universe in his own image... And thanks to the World Between Worlds, Palpatine knew that such power was indeed attainable. He wanted this power more than anything, and I highly doubt that desire ended after his final temptation of Ezra in Rebels -- I imagine he continued seeking out a gateway to that realm up until his death.

Suffice to say, Palpatine seemed to regard Vader as more of a pawn/lapdog that simply did his bidding, rather than an eventual 'replacement'. Imo. /shrug

Pre-Mustafar Vader was well on track to far outstripping Sidious in power. Had he not suffered those injuries it seems pretty inevitable that Vader would've confronted him at some point, and probably won.

Old Post Mar 7th, 2018 04:00 PM
Click here to Send The Ellimist a Private Message Find more posts by The Ellimist Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Most likely, but that's irrelevant because Mustafar did happen, and Anakin was left as little more than a shell of the man he could have been.

Old Post Mar 7th, 2018 04:44 PM
Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Ellimist
The Shadow

Right, I was talking about Palpatine's original intentions (hence "Anakin"). Though even after that his intentions to turn Luke have a similar paradox.

Old Post Mar 7th, 2018 05:02 PM
DarthPlaguis12
Restricted

Account Restricted

I think that sidious was expecting Vader to one day succeed him but that was when he was able to reach his full potential.

After he was crippled and no longer able to reach that full potential sidious likely thoiyht of him as more replaceable

I think Vader would never have turned on him if not for the fact Vader found out he had kids

Old Post Mar 7th, 2018 06:13 PM
Click here to Send DarthPlaguis12 a Private Message Find more posts by DarthPlaguis12 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
relentless1
Dark Overlord of KMC

Palpatine as of ROTS knew Vader would eventually overthrow him and he was ok with that as per his line to Yoda : "Darth Vader will become more powerful than either of us" but once Ani took that lava dip his plans changed of course and he was always looking for a more powerful apprentice from then on.

Old Post Mar 7th, 2018 09:45 PM
Click here to Send relentless1 a Private Message Find more posts by relentless1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zentrex
Hi!

He kept Vader under his control in such a way that Vader would never dream of rebelling against him, even if he were more powerful. I imagine that's what he wanted from Anakin all along.

Old Post Mar 8th, 2018 03:06 AM
Click here to Send Zentrex a Private Message Find more posts by Zentrex Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NewGuy01
perpetual

Re: So did Palpatine want Anakin to kill him?

Originally posted by The Ellimist
Did he plan to somehow keep Vader under his thumb even if he hadn't lost his potential? Delusional.

Bingo.

That was when Mace finally understood. He had it. The key to final victory. Palpatine's shatterpoint. The absolute shatter-point of the Sith. The shatterpoint of the dark side itself.

Palpatine trusts Anakin Skywalker.

--Revenge of the Sith novelization

Old Post Mar 8th, 2018 03:37 AM
Click here to Send NewGuy01 a Private Message Find more posts by NewGuy01 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Ellimist
The Shadow

Re: Re: So did Palpatine want Anakin to kill him?

Originally posted by NewGuy01
Bingo.

That was when Mace finally understood. He had it. The key to final victory. Palpatine's shatterpoint. The absolute shatter-point of the Sith. The shatterpoint of the dark side itself.

Palpatine trusts Anakin Skywalker.

--Revenge of the Sith novelization

Pretty sure that's more short term (e.g. "Anakin will side with me over Windu") than Palpatine thinking a full potential Father-level Anakin would still bend the knee to him.

Old Post Mar 8th, 2018 04:14 AM
NewGuy01
perpetual

Are you seriously not getting that it's referencing RotJ as well?

Old Post Mar 8th, 2018 04:33 AM
Click here to Send NewGuy01 a Private Message Find more posts by NewGuy01 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

thumb up

This is a man who had absolute trust in Vader until the very end:

(please log in to view the image)

Last edited by Galan007 on Mar 8th, 2018 at 11:03 PM

Old Post Mar 8th, 2018 11:01 PM
The Ellimist
The Shadow

Originally posted by NewGuy01
Are you seriously not getting that it's referencing RotJ as well?

Not the same context post-suit at all. Sidious repeatedly references the desire for Vader to "succeed" him throughout Legends:

I regret Vader disappointed me early on when he allowed himself to be mutilated by Kenobi. Yes, Vader remained strong in the Force, but strong enough to succeed me? Never.

and when he appears unable to, tries to find other "successors". He has "trust" in Anakin in the sense that he trusts he'll carry on the Sith mantle, not that he'll magically be subservient to him for all time lol.

Last edited by The Ellimist on Mar 8th, 2018 at 11:30 PM

Old Post Mar 8th, 2018 11:27 PM
DarthSkywalker0
The Insane Jedi Master

I initially agreed with Sas, but it does appear Sidious wanted a successor.

"I killed them, of course. Just as I killed the Guardian. Just as I now kill you."

Last edited by DarthSkywalker0 on Mar 8th, 2018 at 11:56 PM

Old Post Mar 8th, 2018 11:51 PM
Click here to Send DarthSkywalker0 a Private Message Find more posts by DarthSkywalker0 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Freedon Nadd

Palpatine just wanted a mighty weapon? He had no fear Anakin would kill him as Darth Vader because he would have no reason to.

RealistRacism: "Sheevites, much like the Banites, were meant to increase in power with each member. From Lightsnake to Gideon to Azronger, this was supposed to be the case. However, knowledge must've been lost in some kind of Gravid-like incident, as Az turned out to be a mid-tier debater with a sub-par track record, sh!itting all over Tempest's legacy. Sad."

Old Post Mar 9th, 2018 04:15 PM
Click here to Send Freedon Nadd a Private Message Find more posts by Freedon Nadd Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Ellimist
The Shadow

up

Old Post Apr 3rd, 2018 05:50 PM
Freedon Nadd

Down.

RealistRacism: "Sheevites, much like the Banites, were meant to increase in power with each member. From Lightsnake to Gideon to Azronger, this was supposed to be the case. However, knowledge must've been lost in some kind of Gravid-like incident, as Az turned out to be a mid-tier debater with a sub-par track record, sh!itting all over Tempest's legacy. Sad."

Old Post Apr 3rd, 2018 05:58 PM
Click here to Send Freedon Nadd a Private Message Find more posts by Freedon Nadd Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
relentless1
Dark Overlord of KMC

"Darth Vader will become more powerful than either of us"

- Darth Sidious to Yoda

Old Post Apr 4th, 2018 09:26 AM
Click here to Send relentless1 a Private Message Find more posts by relentless1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote