KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » How much merit is put on Lucas' statements?

How much merit is put on Lucas' statements?
Started by: The Merchant

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
The Merchant

How much merit is put on Lucas' statements?

I've always been curious what people thought of certain things he says, such as Vader being on Maul/Dookus tier, Anakin being 200% of Palpatines power with his full potential realized, etc. Also this would extend to him line-editing the ROTS novelization as well.

"Vader's pulse and breathing were machine-regulated, so they could not quicken; but something in his chest became more electric around his meetings with the Emperor; he could not say how. A feeling of fullness, of power, of dark and demon mastery -- of secret lusts, unrestrained passion, wild submission -- all these things were in Vader's heart as he neared his Emperor. These things and more."

Old Post May 6th, 2018 12:19 AM
Click here to Send The Merchant a Private Message Find more posts by The Merchant Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

Almost absolute.

"There is only Revan. Only he can shape this galaxy as it is meant to be shaped."

Old Post May 6th, 2018 12:26 AM
Click here to Send Jaggarath a Private Message Find more posts by Jaggarath Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kurk
Restricted

Account Restricted

I mean he's the creator of the saga lol

"Technology equals might!" "Evolve or perish"

Old Post May 6th, 2018 12:32 AM
Click here to Send Kurk a Private Message Find more posts by Kurk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zentrex
Hi!

I wouldn't put much in there. A lot of the things he says he doesn't think through as ideas. He just says them as estimations of what the concepts in his head are. So I wouldn't accept them as canon or absolute, but they're a good idea of where Lucas' head was when he was thinking about these things.

Old Post May 6th, 2018 01:45 AM
Click here to Send Zentrex a Private Message Find more posts by Zentrex Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

lmfao

"There is only Revan. Only he can shape this galaxy as it is meant to be shaped."

Old Post May 6th, 2018 01:47 AM
Click here to Send Jaggarath a Private Message Find more posts by Jaggarath Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

The only way I wouldn't take an explicit statement from Lucas as incontrovertible fact, is if it were flagrantly contradicted by the new Disney canon. Sans that, his word is just about as irrefutable as a source can possibly get in this franchise.

After all, the six films Lucas created, along with TCW(which he was heavily involved in the creation of) are still the pinnacle of absolute canon in SW... So it stands to reason that his statements should be regarded with the same level of absolute authority/validity in *most* cases.

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Old Post May 6th, 2018 01:48 AM
Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zentrex
Hi!

I really don't understand why the legal limitations on star wars content seem to mean validity for people. In a fictional story, it's not really important, at least to me, what the legal canonocity is. So it doesn't matter to me if a story was written by George Lucas or by Hayden Blackman, the material is just as important/relevant. You can label it "legends" and "D-canon, G-canon, T-canon, C-canon, or S-canon", all that matters is that it's not NON-canon.

Old Post May 6th, 2018 02:07 AM
Click here to Send Zentrex a Private Message Find more posts by Zentrex Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

Bro, you're on a Star Wars debating website. Obviously the validity of content matters, ffs

Old Post May 6th, 2018 02:27 AM
Kurk
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by DarthAnt66
Bro, you're on a Star Wars debating website. Obviously the validity of content matters, ffs
debating? Where?

"Technology equals might!" "Evolve or perish"

Old Post May 6th, 2018 03:12 AM
Click here to Send Kurk a Private Message Find more posts by Kurk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zentrex
Hi!

Originally posted by DarthAnt66

The validity matters, but the way people determine validity is what I find stupid.

Old Post May 6th, 2018 05:03 AM
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

Originally posted by Zentrex
The validity matters, but the way people determine validity is what I find stupid.

Be more specific and I'll explain the logic.

Old Post May 6th, 2018 05:07 AM
Zentrex
Hi!

Lucas said that Anakin would have become twice as powerful as Sidious if he'd reached his full potential, but of course, he went on to change that, and it was an off-hand comment. It shouldn't be considered an accurate statistic . It's just a good indication that Lucas wanted Anakin to be far, far more powerful than the most powerful sith lord in history. Same goes for Vader being 80% of Sidious' power. Just a random statistic he thought of which shows what he thought of Vader and Sidious, but shoudn't be taken as an actual statistic.

His interpretations of the characters of Maul/Dooku/Vader are also good ideas of what the characters are meant to be, but there's just too much content out there to rely solely on Lucas' comments. What we interpret from what we see takes precedent over Lucas' interpretation.

Now, legally, some comments are considered official, but they mean nothing to me, since authorial intent is just meaningless when a work is open to interpretation. I know you're going to say that we're on an official site and we need a standard of what's considered valid, but the way some of our members here, especially Az, twist the story to make their desires for the universe come true (but support it with textual evidence), it's basically as good as being open to interpretation.

Old Post May 6th, 2018 05:53 AM
Freedon Nadd

Nothing. That old guy says a lot of nonsense and frequently changes his mind.
This is the guy who ruined Star Wars. And I daresay that the writers should earn more credit. They are the ones who created Star Wars, literally. Lucas just came with one major idea or two.

Writer: Luke is not Vader's father. Father of Luke was killed by Vader
Lucas: NOOOOOO! Vader is Luke's father!!!!! End of Story!!

Writer: A main character should be Anakin's father whose identity will never be revealed and it is up to readers/watchers to identify him.
Lucas: Nooooooooo! The Force is Anakin's father. He is Jesus the Satan!!!!!!

Writer: Everyone should be able to use the Force with proper training.
Lucas: Nooooooooooo! Not everyone! Some! Midi-chlorians are stored in the balls!!!!!!!

*years later*

Lucas sells Star Wars to Disney. That just shows how much he cared about "his" franchise. He gave zero ****s. No wonder there are so many inconsistencies in Star Wars(the Force, Anakin's potential)

RealistRacism: "Sheevites, much like the Banites, were meant to increase in power with each member. From Lightsnake to Gideon to Azronger, this was supposed to be the case. However, knowledge must've been lost in some kind of Gravid-like incident, as Az turned out to be a mid-tier debater with a sub-par track record, sh!itting all over Tempest's legacy. Sad."

Old Post May 6th, 2018 06:36 AM
Click here to Send Freedon Nadd a Private Message Find more posts by Freedon Nadd Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DarthSkywalker0
The Insane Jedi Master

Originally posted by Freedon Nadd
Nothing. That old guy says a lot of nonsense and frequently changes his mind.
This is the guy who ruined Star Wars. And I daresay that the writers should earn more credit. They are the ones who created Star Wars, literally. Lucas just came with one major idea or two.

Writer: Luke is not Vader's father. Father of Luke was killed by Vader
Lucas: NOOOOOO! Vader is Luke's father!!!!! End of Story!!

Writer: A main character should be Anakin's father whose identity will never be revealed and it is up to readers/watchers to identify him.
Lucas: Nooooooooo! The Force is Anakin's father. He is Jesus the Satan!!!!!!

Writer: Everyone should be able to use the Force with proper training.
Lucas: Nooooooooooo! Not everyone! Some! Midi-chlorians are stored in the balls!!!!!!!

*years later*

Lucas sells Star Wars to Disney. That just shows how much he cared about "his" franchise. He gave zero ****s. No wonder there are so many inconsistencies in Star Wars(the Force, Anakin's potential)

pms bro

"I killed them, of course. Just as I killed the Guardian. Just as I now kill you."

Old Post May 6th, 2018 06:40 AM
Click here to Send DarthSkywalker0 a Private Message Find more posts by DarthSkywalker0 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Freedon Nadd

He had pms. Indeed.

RealistRacism: "Sheevites, much like the Banites, were meant to increase in power with each member. From Lightsnake to Gideon to Azronger, this was supposed to be the case. However, knowledge must've been lost in some kind of Gravid-like incident, as Az turned out to be a mid-tier debater with a sub-par track record, sh!itting all over Tempest's legacy. Sad."

Old Post May 6th, 2018 06:53 AM
Click here to Send Freedon Nadd a Private Message Find more posts by Freedon Nadd Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DarthSkywalker0
The Insane Jedi Master

Originally posted by Freedon Nadd
He had pms. Indeed.

private messages

"I killed them, of course. Just as I killed the Guardian. Just as I now kill you."

Old Post May 6th, 2018 06:54 AM
Click here to Send DarthSkywalker0 a Private Message Find more posts by DarthSkywalker0 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Azronger
Azronger Reborn

If you take Lucas' words as facts, then according to him Legends and "his world" are entirely separate entities. Case in point: in Legends, Anakin gets his scar from fighting Ventress, but in Lucas' universe, he slipped in a bathtub; in Legends, Palpatine comes back and Luke marries Mara Jade, but in Lucas' universe, none of that ever happened.

If you don't take Lucas' words as appliccable to Legends, then you got nothing to worry about. Even Lucas agrees with you.

Old Post May 6th, 2018 07:04 AM
Click here to Send Azronger a Private Message Find more posts by Azronger Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Freedon Nadd

Don't tell me you wanna make me waste my precious time like those spoiled brat new members here?

Old Post May 6th, 2018 07:06 AM
Freedon Nadd

Originally posted by Azronger
If you take Lucas' words as facts, then according to him Legends and "his world" are entirely separate entities. Case in point: in Legends, Anakin gets his scar from fighting Ventress, but in Lucas' universe, he slipped in a bathtub; in Legends, Palpatine comes back and Luke marries Mara Jade, but in Lucas' universe, none of that ever happened.

If you don't take Lucas' words as appliccable to Legends, then you got nothing to worry about. Even Lucas agrees with you.

smile

Old Post May 6th, 2018 07:07 AM
CuckedCurry

Originally posted by Azronger

Do you apply Gillard’s tiering system to Legends?

Old Post May 6th, 2018 08:37 AM
Click here to Send CuckedCurry a Private Message Find more posts by CuckedCurry Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote