KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » If we saw a Death Star fire the superlaser at us, how long would we have until we wer

If we saw a Death Star fire the superlaser at us, how long would we have until we wer
Started by: snoke123

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
snoke123

If we saw a Death Star fire the superlaser at us, how long would we have until we wer

If we saw a Death Star fire the superlaser at us, how long would we have until we were destroyed?

The station would be closer to us than the sun, but the speed of the laser is unknown (at least from what I could find), so would it be only seconds? Or could it be a minute or two?

Old Post May 30th, 2018 10:02 PM
Click here to Send snoke123 a Private Message Find more posts by snoke123 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

The Death Star fired on Alderaan from "antigrav range"(approx. six planetary diameters away):
quote:
A voice announced over a hidden speaker that they had approached within antigrav range of Alderaan--approximately six planetary diameters. That was enough to accomplish what all of Vader's infernal devices had failed to.

-ANH (novelization)

And per Star Wars Super Graphic, the diameter of Alderaan = 12,500km -- which means the Death Star was 75,000km from Alderaan when it fired. That said, the Death Star's beam takes about 2 seconds to hit Alderaan in the film. Given the distance between them, this equates to a 'beam-speed' of 37,500km/s... Or ~0.125c (ie. 1/8 light speed.)

tl;dr
If the Death Star were near the sun and fired at earth, the planet would be destroyed just over an hour later. smile

/nerdcalcs

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Last edited by Galan007 on May 30th, 2018 at 11:07 PM

Old Post May 30th, 2018 10:52 PM
Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sheev
The All-Sith

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Galan007
The Death Star fired on Alderaan from "antigrav range"(approx. six planetary diameters away):

And per Star Wars Super Graphic, the diameter of Alderaan = 12,500km -- which means the Death Star was 75,000km from Alderaan when it fired. That said, the Death Star's beam takes about 2 seconds to hit Alderaan in the film. Given the distance between them, this equates to a 'beam-speed' of 37,500km/s... Or ~0.125c (ie. 1/8 light speed.)

tl;dr
If the Death Star were near the sun and fired at earth, the planet would be destroyed just over an hour later. smile

/nerdcalcs
Very interesting. sp how does that compare to the speed of Starkiller bases superweapon? I remember one of the resistance's forces describing it as a "hyper lightspeed" beam or something, right?

Old Post May 31st, 2018 01:04 AM
Click here to Send Sheev a Private Message Find more posts by Sheev Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

There is no comparison. The beam(s) generated by Starkiller Base are *the* fastest things ever conceived in canon:
quote:
Assuming that the rotation and inclination of the planet had been taken into account, the released blast of concentrated phantom energy would travel along a perfectly linear path, punching a small rip through hyperspace itself until it left the galaxy--or encountered something in its path that was of sufficient mass to intercept it [...] Traveling faster than anything ever generated by artificial means, through a torn portion of space-time whose properties were not fully understood, the concentrated glowing ball of energy lit the night sky above Republic City.

-TFA (novelization)

Keep in mind, Starkiller Base was located in the Unknown Regions, and Hosnian Prime was located deep in the Galactic Core -- literally tenS of thousandS of light yearS apart:
https://i.imgur.com/aQpLcv6.jpg
*pertinent planets outlined in red

...Yet it only took the beams about 1 minute to cover that distance in the film:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HmWDdmTAE8&t=1m3s

"Hyper-lightspeed" undersells the shit out of it, tbh.

Last edited by Galan007 on May 31st, 2018 at 02:10 AM

Old Post May 31st, 2018 01:55 AM
Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
One Big Mob
Dead

I'm still amazed that Starkiller base was powered soley by Galen Marek.

Old Post May 31st, 2018 02:13 AM
Click here to Send One Big Mob a Private Message Find more posts by One Big Mob Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

(please log in to view the image)

Old Post May 31st, 2018 02:42 AM
Geistalt
SilenceThatSpeaksVolumes

quote: (post)
Originally posted by One Big Mob
I'm still amazed that Starkiller base was powered soley by Galen Marek.

new headcanon

Fvck Islam. 4srs.
Fvck Oded Yinon, too.

Old Post May 31st, 2018 03:36 AM
Click here to Send Geistalt a Private Message Find more posts by Geistalt Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheNuisanceBird
Wrecker - Scientist Class

Lol They ever explain how people across the galaxy were able to see the beam light in real time years away?

"Dooku is not top tier,-" - Jensaarai1.

YouTube Channel With VS Videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbhNQdtnbLQf80P-91V917w
IG: red_spade_25
Twitter: @AnikenJonas

Old Post Jun 1st, 2018 06:30 PM
Click here to Send TheNuisanceBird a Private Message Find more posts by TheNuisanceBird Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote