KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Flaws with The Rule of Two?

Flaws with The Rule of Two?
Started by: Kurk

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Kurk
Restricted

Account Restricted

Flaws with The Rule of Two?

I write this after concluding the Darth Bane trilogy.

Seeing how Zannah went out of her way to give Bane a fair fight was quite contrary to how Sidious resorted to underhand tactics to defeat Plagueis.

Obviously Bane's intention was to have it so that only the most powerful sith survived the power contest, but as we saw with Plagueis & Tenebrous, Sidious & Plagueis, Sidious & Dooku, etc, it eventually became that the most cunning and devious sith would win regardless of their standing with the force.

Now, if I recall correctly, Plagueis inherited Tenebrous's power after killing him, so perhaps the will of the dark-side accommodated for this change in Bane's system?

Bane recognized this as an issue himself when he thought about how Zannah could simply wait for him to become old and decrepit rather than challenge him directly, hence weakening the line of Sith.

Could someone more knowledgeable address this for me?

"Technology equals might!" "Evolve or perish"

Old Post Jun 11th, 2018 01:49 AM
Click here to Send Kurk a Private Message Find more posts by Kurk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AncientPower
The Chosen One

There are many more flaws than that, but yes, effectively we saw little more than the absorption of the power vacuum left behind after those who were dead got cheapshotted.

It also doesn't help that we can reliably compare Darth Bane's feats with Sith on the other end of the Banite line and see that he comes out very close. Venamis being a prime example of someone who Bane could defeat handily and yet a pre-prime Plagueis still got pushed into a difficult fight.

Once you actually analyse the Bane line, you realise the RoT isn't as effective as others might have you believe.

Within your furnace heart, you burn in your own flame. This is how it feels to be Anakin Skywalker.

Old Post Jun 11th, 2018 02:52 AM
Click here to Send AncientPower a Private Message Find more posts by AncientPower Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ares834

quote:
Once you actually analyse the Bane line, you realise the RoT isn't as effective as others might have you believe.

Don't know how you could say that.

Sidious is the most powerful (or second most powerful for you Vit fanboys) Sith Lord of all time. That seems pretty damn good to me. But, far more importantly, it created by far the most effective Sith Empire.

Old Post Jun 11th, 2018 04:33 AM
Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DarthPlaguis12
Restricted

Account Restricted

Plagueis didn’t inherit his masters power, his masters spirit entered him for a time.

Bane knew that was one way to inherit his mantle, why do you think he obtained The secret to essence transfer, he didn’t want Zannah killing him when he was some weak old man.

I don’t get where you think she wanted a fair fight....at one point she got help from that rich guy who had a whole team to help her. At at exploding prison she knew he had no light saber and was going t9 kill him.

Old Post Jun 11th, 2018 05:16 AM
Click here to Send DarthPlaguis12 a Private Message Find more posts by DarthPlaguis12 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DarthPlaguis12
Restricted

Account Restricted

Also...the rule of two has flaws but obviously it worked as it probably ducked the most powerful with lord Darth Sidious

Old Post Jun 11th, 2018 05:17 AM
Click here to Send DarthPlaguis12 a Private Message Find more posts by DarthPlaguis12 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Freedon Nadd

When they fall in a trap. Bye, bye Sith Lords.

RealistRacism: "Sheevites, much like the Banites, were meant to increase in power with each member. From Lightsnake to Gideon to Azronger, this was supposed to be the case. However, knowledge must've been lost in some kind of Gravid-like incident, as Az turned out to be a mid-tier debater with a sub-par track record, sh!itting all over Tempest's legacy. Sad."

Old Post Jun 11th, 2018 06:48 AM
Click here to Send Freedon Nadd a Private Message Find more posts by Freedon Nadd Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zentrex
Hi!

Tenebrous seemed to think the system would accomplish what it was meant to. And he was like a supreme genius, so he'd know what he's talking about. I know the logic doesn't make the same amount of sense in real life, but we're told the later sith are stronger, so they are.

Old Post Jun 11th, 2018 02:52 PM
Click here to Send Zentrex a Private Message Find more posts by Zentrex Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Freedon Nadd

You put too much "thinking" into an individual rather than an entire Order.
Events prove otherwise.
Sidious and Plagueis knew it. That's why they broke it.
Currently: Palpatine's One Sith Code is the most efficient, followed by Krayt's.

RealistRacism: "Sheevites, much like the Banites, were meant to increase in power with each member. From Lightsnake to Gideon to Azronger, this was supposed to be the case. However, knowledge must've been lost in some kind of Gravid-like incident, as Az turned out to be a mid-tier debater with a sub-par track record, sh!itting all over Tempest's legacy. Sad."

Old Post Jun 11th, 2018 03:03 PM
Click here to Send Freedon Nadd a Private Message Find more posts by Freedon Nadd Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
LordOfTheLight

It is pretty clearly emphasized that till Tenebrous all apprentices would give their masters a fair fight. More than once in fact, when as per Plagueis Tenebrous was an anachronism.

These attempts to downgrade Banite scaling are amusing, but ultimately futile.

Last edited by LordOfTheLight on Jun 11th, 2018 at 03:19 PM

Old Post Jun 11th, 2018 03:14 PM
Click here to Send LordOfTheLight a Private Message Find more posts by LordOfTheLight Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
LordOfTheLight

That said, practically speaking, the ROT is far more suited to a more selfless order than an order like the Sith. It works in SW because it is a fictitious story.

Old Post Jun 11th, 2018 03:22 PM
Click here to Send LordOfTheLight a Private Message Find more posts by LordOfTheLight Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MythLord
Diamond

quote: (post)
Originally posted by LordOfTheLight

thumb up

As many flaws as there are(hey, no plan is 100% perfect), but it's by far the most cunning and effective one the Sith thought up.

"Hello, Starlight."

Old Post Jun 11th, 2018 03:24 PM
Click here to Send MythLord a Private Message Find more posts by MythLord Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
LordOfTheLight

Yeah.

Old Post Jun 11th, 2018 03:37 PM
Kurk
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by DarthPlaguis12
Plagueis didn’t inherit his masters power, his masters spirit entered him for a time.

Bane knew that was one way to inherit his mantle, why do you think he obtained The secret to essence transfer, he didn’t want Zannah killing him when he was some weak old man.

I don’t get where you think she wanted a fair fight....at one point she got help from that rich guy who had a whole team to help her. At at exploding prison she knew he had no light saber and was going t9 kill him.
Zannah told Set that he couldn't interfere in the fight. She also acknowledged that killing Bane while completely helpless (sleeping, imprisoned) was also unfair. But yeah, her trying to defeat him without his lightsaber was sort of hypocritical.

Also if Plagueis didn't inherit Tenebrous's power, but he also acknowledged that his master could've snapped his neck had he not been caught off guard leaves me confused as to how this isn't a reversal of "evolution".

Plagueis thought Rugess Nome was a fool, and that's why he killed him.

A similar story can be told for Sidious & Plagueis. They defeat their masters through deceit b/c they knew they'd get their ass handed to them in a fair fight.

If the apprentice doesn't inherit their master's power through the will of the force, I'm confused as to how each apprentice becomes more powerful by default. The only thing I can think of is if the texts, sith holocrons, new contributions possessed by the master are completely inherited at the hands of the apprentice, hence allowing for knowledge = power.

Old Post Jun 11th, 2018 04:53 PM
Click here to Send Kurk a Private Message Find more posts by Kurk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DarthPlaguis12
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Kurk
Zannah told Set that he couldn't interfere in the fight. She also acknowledged that killing Bane while completely helpless (sleeping, imprisoned) was also unfair. But yeah, her trying to defeat him without his lightsaber was sort of hypocritical.

Also if Plagueis didn't inherit Tenebrous's power, but he also acknowledged that his master could've snapped his neck had he not been caught off guard leaves me confused as to how this isn't a reversal of "evolution".

Plagueis thought Rugess Nome was a fool, and that's why he killed him.

A similar story can be told for Sidious & Plagueis. They defeat their masters through deceit b/c they knew they'd get their ass handed to them in a fair fight.

If the apprentice doesn't inherit their master's power through the will of the force, I'm confused as to how each apprentice becomes more powerful by default. The only thing I can think of is if the texts, sith holocrons, new contributions possessed by the master are completely inherited at the hands of the apprentice, hence allowing for knowledge = power.

She also tried to defeat him with a team of mercenaries or soldiers, can’t remmber which, but they were supplied to her by a member of a royal house

I don’t recall him thinking Nome was a fool, but I don’t think his death was planned either, remember that Plagueis later tracked down whoever bombed the mine they were in, I think,Plagueis took advantage of the fact his master was in a weakened position, but I can’t remember that part exactly. I’m sure he defiantly took advantage.

That’s not always true though, remember Zannah defeated Bane because she had learned certain secrets he didn’t know, the dark side tendrils.

In the book Bane went from pretty much a nobody to beyond his teachers in power after studying Ravens holocron, later he studied more n became more powerful. So when he returned to the smith academy he was easily more powerful then lord Kaan n the other so called dark lords.

In the case of other dark lords they don’t have to be more powerful but killing their master via being sneaky still counts, Sidious was very powerful already n could learn new powers quickly but it seems Plagueis knew things he didn’t....such as manipulating life.

Old Post Jun 11th, 2018 06:32 PM
Freedon Nadd

Originally posted by LordOfTheLight
It is pretty clearly emphasized that till Tenebrous all apprentices would give their masters a fair fight. More than once in fact, when as per Plagueis Tenebrous was an anachronism.

Plagueis and Sidious are not Banite Sith(anymore)

Old Post Jun 11th, 2018 10:31 PM
Kurk
Restricted

Account Restricted

up

Old Post Jun 16th, 2018 03:50 AM
relentless1
Dark Overlord of KMC

the biggest flaw from a storytelling POV was that it didn't allow for Maul to survive TPM into the other 2 eps and have Chris Lee involved as well. Dooku couldve been Anakins rival while Maul was Obi Wans and by the time the final showdown happens in ep 3 it'd be a perfect way to show Anakin going dark (kill Dooku) and Obi Wan staying light (sparing Maul)

Old Post Jun 16th, 2018 06:25 AM
Click here to Send relentless1 a Private Message Find more posts by relentless1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kurk
Restricted

Account Restricted

So again, what is the explanation for the Banite Sith continually increasing in power with each generation despite treachery and unscrupulous methods being used to overthrow masters by weaker apprentices?

Old Post Jun 16th, 2018 10:39 PM
DarthSkywalker0
The Insane Jedi Master

Originally posted by Kurk
So again, what is the explanation for the Banite Sith continually increasing in power with each generation despite treachery and unscrupulous methods being used to overthrow masters by weaker apprentices?

Numerous accolades pointing to its existence.

"I killed them, of course. Just as I killed the Guardian. Just as I now kill you."

Old Post Jun 16th, 2018 10:54 PM
Click here to Send DarthSkywalker0 a Private Message Find more posts by DarthSkywalker0 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Well, it's not like the RoT was strictly adhered to by the time the PT-era rolled around anyway...

Tenebrous: trained more than one apprentice.
Plagueis: wanted to co-rule with Palpatine.
Palpatine: wanted to be the last Sith ever.

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Last edited by Galan007 on Jun 17th, 2018 at 03:00 AM

Old Post Jun 17th, 2018 02:55 AM
Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote