KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Darth Vectivus: A Pragmatic Contemporary Sith?

Darth Vectivus: A Pragmatic Contemporary Sith?
Started by: Kurk

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Kurk
Restricted

Account Restricted

Darth Vectivus: A Pragmatic Contemporary Sith?

After reading his Wiki page, Vectivus has appealed to me greatly due to his ability to exist as a benevolent sith, if you will.

It was his strong pre-existing self-discipline and business mind/reasoning abilities that allowed him to resist the corrupting aspects of the Dark Side while still being able to wield its power.

I suppose you could lop him, Darth Gravid, and Kel'eth Ur in the same boat as light-sith, benevolent sith, whatever you wanna call them.

To me, it seems that the sith that have always caused the greatest havoc were those who never had any self-discipline or reasoning abilities (e.g Vader, Malgus, Caedus)

Vectivus never had any conflicts with the jedi because he simply didn't need to. They were of no threat to him and his personal lust of power didn't result in galaxy-wide suffering to where the jedi needed to hunt him down.

If other Sith adhered to the principles of Vectivus, I believe both the jedi and sith order would've been able to co-exist peacefully.

Also, contemporary businessmen like Elon Musk are mirrors of Vectivus if you ask me.

"Technology equals might!" "Evolve or perish"

Old Post Jun 18th, 2018 01:12 AM
Click here to Send Kurk a Private Message Find more posts by Kurk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zentrex
Hi!

Just because he didn't harm people around him doesn't mean that he was "Good". Lust for power makes you sacrifice things which you need for things you want.

I could have sworn there was a lot more I had in mind that I was going to say about this, but I forgot, lol.

Old Post Jun 18th, 2018 01:20 AM
Click here to Send Zentrex a Private Message Find more posts by Zentrex Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kurk
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Zentrex
Just because he didn't harm people around him doesn't mean that he was "Good". Lust for power makes you sacrifice things which you need for things you want.

I could have sworn there was a lot more I had in mind that I was going to say about this, but I forgot, lol.

Good is completely relative.

Do return when your remember what you were going to say

Old Post Jun 18th, 2018 01:22 AM
Click here to Send Kurk a Private Message Find more posts by Kurk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zentrex
Hi!

I was going to say I don't fully buy that Vectivus used the Dark side the way a sith would or should.

You're right, good and evil are completely subjective, but the definition is something good is something you want, and bad is something you don't. A lust for power messes up the normal standard for what's desirable.

I always viewed the force as being nature at harmony. What's best for everybody being distributed perfectly. Kind of like an ecosystem made entirely of plus plus relationships. But then, people with daily wants come around, and they imbalance that harmony. This harmony, which is what you should truly want, is distracted through the scapegoat that is power.

So I don't think Vectivus was a true sith.

I have a few reasons to believe this.
Firstly, Lumiya. You say it's the lack of reasoning abilities which make the sith cause so much havok, yet Lumiya, who wanted to bring about good by using the powers of evil also caused havok, in the name of progress. Vectivus never used the evil for any reason.

Secondly, Gravid realized that the dark side was wrong when he dabbled in the light side. And the Je'Daii, though all about balance, knew to lean more heavily on the light. So using the dark side or having knowledge of it isn't all terrible as the PT jedi thought it was, nor was it a sign that you were bad. You just had to rely on the light side more. I'd say this is because since the dark side is created by the want that humans have, separate from the harmony of nature, we must embrace our wants from time to time, becuase we're not built to be completely animal-like, in only wanting that greater harmony.

Thirdly, Kyle Katarn and others used the dark side, but remained lightsiders. So I if Vectivus used the dark side, it's completely possible that he was really just a lightsider posing as a darksider because he occasionally tapped into it, and extensively studied it and even innovated on it. He was hated by the One Sith for a reason.

Lastly, I wanted to bring up Vaapad, because maybe Vectivus did the inverse of it. Vaapad is using your anger and hatred for the light side. Vectivus might have done something similar to use his morals to call upon the dark side.

Old Post Jun 18th, 2018 02:31 AM
Click here to Send Zentrex a Private Message Find more posts by Zentrex Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kurk
Restricted

Account Restricted

I was going to say I don't fully buy that Vectivus used the Dark side the way a sith would or should.

You're right, good and evil are completely subjective, but the definition is something good is something you want, and bad is something you don't. A lust for power messes up the normal standard for what's desirable.

I always viewed the force as being nature at harmony. What's best for everybody being distributed perfectly. Kind of like an ecosystem made entirely of plus plus relationships. But then, people with daily wants come around, and they imbalance that harmony. This harmony, which is what you should truly want, is distracted through the scapegoat that is power.

So I don't think Vectivus was a true sith.

I have a few reasons to believe this.
Firstly, Lumiya. You say it's the lack of reasoning abilities which make the sith cause so much havok, yet Lumiya, who wanted to bring about good by using the powers of evil also caused havok, in the name of progress. Vectivus never used the evil for any reason.

Secondly, Gravid realized that the dark side was wrong when he dabbled in the light side. And the Je'Daii, though all about balance, knew to lean more heavily on the light. So using the dark side or having knowledge of it isn't all terrible as the PT jedi thought it was, nor was it a sign that you were bad. You just had to rely on the light side more. I'd say this is because since the dark side is created by the want that humans have, separate from the harmony of nature, we must embrace our wants from time to time, becuase we're not built to be completely animal-like, in only wanting that greater harmony.

Thirdly, Kyle Katarn and others used the dark side, but remained lightsiders. So I if Vectivus used the dark side, it's completely possible that he was really just a lightsider posing as a darksider because he occasionally tapped into it, and extensively studied it and even innovated on it. He was hated by the One Sith for a reason.

Lastly, I wanted to bring up Vaapad, because maybe Vectivus did the inverse of it. Vaapad is using your anger and hatred for the light side. Vectivus might have done something similar to use his morals to call upon the dark side.
You are very knowledgeable on this topic. What you say is very reasonable.

Old Post Jun 18th, 2018 02:52 AM
Freedon Nadd

I always wanted/imagined the Sith Order to be the Star Wars equivalent of real life empires. Quit with all the hate Dark Side speeches and Force powers.
The Sith Lords should just be some guys wanting to bring peace and order through illegal means, making sacrifices when it came about major goals.

RealistRacism: "Sheevites, much like the Banites, were meant to increase in power with each member. From Lightsnake to Gideon to Azronger, this was supposed to be the case. However, knowledge must've been lost in some kind of Gravid-like incident, as Az turned out to be a mid-tier debater with a sub-par track record, sh!itting all over Tempest's legacy. Sad."

Old Post Jun 18th, 2018 10:59 AM
Click here to Send Freedon Nadd a Private Message Find more posts by Freedon Nadd Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kurk
Restricted

Account Restricted

So simply put, is Vectivus to the Sith what Uncle Iroh is to the Fire Nation?

Old Post Jun 18th, 2018 11:18 AM
Zentrex
Hi!

Vectivus, to me, is the guy that knows every way to kill a person but has never done so.

Old Post Jun 18th, 2018 03:25 PM
DarthPlaguis12
Restricted

Account Restricted

What’s the point of a benevolent sith...

Old Post Jun 18th, 2018 06:23 PM
Click here to Send DarthPlaguis12 a Private Message Find more posts by DarthPlaguis12 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Freedon Nadd

You mean a logical moral grayed Sith?

RealistRacism: "Sheevites, much like the Banites, were meant to increase in power with each member. From Lightsnake to Gideon to Azronger, this was supposed to be the case. However, knowledge must've been lost in some kind of Gravid-like incident, as Az turned out to be a mid-tier debater with a sub-par track record, sh!itting all over Tempest's legacy. Sad."

Old Post Jun 18th, 2018 06:52 PM
Click here to Send Freedon Nadd a Private Message Find more posts by Freedon Nadd Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Freedon Nadd

Originally posted by Kurk
So simply put, is Vectivus to the Sith what Uncle Iroh is to the Fire Nation?

He is Churchill.

Old Post Jun 18th, 2018 06:53 PM
DarthPlaguis12
Restricted

Account Restricted

Yes, I don’t understand that

Old Post Jun 18th, 2018 07:03 PM
Click here to Send DarthPlaguis12 a Private Message Find more posts by DarthPlaguis12 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Azronger
Azronger Reborn

Vectivus, to me, is the guy that knows every way to kill a person but has never done so.

He killed his Master if we are to believe Plagueis.

Old Post Jun 18th, 2018 07:06 PM
Click here to Send Azronger a Private Message Find more posts by Azronger Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kurk
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by DarthPlaguis12
What’s the point of a benevolent sith...
You could argue that moderation unlocks even more power. Ultimate power comes with winning the favor of the masses through benevolent acts. This is where Sheev fell short.

By instilling an empire of fear, his subjects never truly supported him. His reign of terror stifled creativity and innovation, hence hurting the free-market.

A light-sith is not afraid to indulge in the dark-side because, as was in the case of Vectivus, they already had a strong set of pre-existing values and self-discipline to where they could shrug off greater, irrational temptations while still wielding its tremendous power.

Gravid incorporating the light-side into the Sith teachings would've allowed for a greater diversity of power, and ultimately the ability to utilize the jedi's teachings against them if need be.

Honestly I don't know why this is a bad idea.

Gravid and Vectivus are some of my favs now smile

Old Post Jun 18th, 2018 07:10 PM
Freedon Nadd

But they are not True Sith according to the Sith philosophy.

Old Post Jun 19th, 2018 07:35 AM