KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Was Anakin portrayed as being > Yoda and Palpatine?

Was Anakin portrayed as being > Yoda and Palpatine?
Started by: Xiggy

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Xiggy
Restricted

Account Restricted

Was Anakin portrayed as being > Yoda and Palpatine?

Well purveyed in the movies?

Last edited by Xiggy on Nov 29th, 2018 at 10:24 PM

Old Post Nov 29th, 2018 10:11 PM
Click here to Send Xiggy a Private Message Find more posts by Xiggy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
CuckedCurry

Not in the movies, no

Old Post Nov 29th, 2018 10:19 PM
Click here to Send CuckedCurry a Private Message Find more posts by CuckedCurry Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
victreebelvictr
Flowey's Only Friend

Hell no.

Old Post Nov 29th, 2018 10:19 PM
Click here to Send victreebelvictr a Private Message Find more posts by victreebelvictr Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Xiggy
Restricted

Account Restricted

If no then the next question is did it seem contradicted in the movies ?

Last edited by Xiggy on Nov 29th, 2018 at 10:31 PM

Old Post Nov 29th, 2018 10:25 PM
Click here to Send Xiggy a Private Message Find more posts by Xiggy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Xiggy
Well purveyed in the movies?
Not at all.

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Old Post Nov 29th, 2018 10:33 PM
Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
CuckedCurry

:thinkingface:

Old Post Nov 29th, 2018 10:37 PM
Click here to Send CuckedCurry a Private Message Find more posts by CuckedCurry Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

If no then the next question is did it seem contradicted in the movies ?
The "Darth Vader will BECOME more powerful than either of US!" line from RotS implies that Anakin hadn't yet reached Palpatine/Yoda-level... And even by the time of ESB, Vader is trying to coerce Luke into helping him destroy Palpatine -- again implying that he was still inferior to his Master.

From a film-only standpoint, Palpatine-level power was always portrayed as superior to Anakin/Vader, imo.

Last edited by Galan007 on Nov 29th, 2018 at 11:41 PM

Old Post Nov 29th, 2018 10:40 PM
Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
CuckedCurry

thumb up

I guess that’s why Anakin’s supposed superiority is such a hard pill to swallow for many people :/

Old Post Nov 29th, 2018 11:03 PM
DarthCaedus77

Originally posted by CuckedCurry
Not in the movies, no

"We stand on a tipping point where we can choose chaos, or order"
-Jacen Solo

Old Post Nov 29th, 2018 11:15 PM
Click here to Send DarthCaedus77 a Private Message Find more posts by DarthCaedus77 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Xiggy
Restricted

Account Restricted

The point is the films are the most viewed and thematically relevant works to the Franchise. Not even 1% of people have or are expected to view past that iteration of the mythos. I'm doubting Lucas even intended Anakin to be on this level given his you have to Mace or Yoda to compete with Palps and that Anakin could have eventually competed if didn't get disfigured on Mustafar. The entire implication is that Anakin is not yet on their level within in the films so....

On the other hand, I do reconcile some of those quotes in favour of Anakin regarding potential. But the others are just bottom of the barrel sources that don't compete with the film in the grand order of importance.

Yoda would beat Anakin in a duel or otherwise.

And even if he's not winning in a direct sense, he just needs to utter some conflicting statement to unbalance the fragile desperado and then remove his hands.

Last edited by Xiggy on Nov 29th, 2018 at 11:26 PM

Old Post Nov 29th, 2018 11:15 PM
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

-

"There is only Revan. Only he can shape this galaxy as it is meant to be shaped."

Old Post Nov 29th, 2018 11:27 PM
Click here to Send Jaggarath a Private Message Find more posts by Jaggarath Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Ellimist
The Shadow

He wasn’t portrayed as such, but the anxilliary sources in confluence with Gillard’s commentary seem to support the notion in Legends, and the films can be reconciled with that information.

Old Post Nov 29th, 2018 11:31 PM
Click here to Send The Ellimist a Private Message Find more posts by The Ellimist Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

On the other hand, I do reconcile some of those quotes in favour of Anakin regarding potential.
I think Palpatine's line from RotS(mentioned in my previous post) is sufficient to tell us how powerful Palpatine believed Anakin could have become. So from said dialogue we can logically infer that Anakin's potential > Palpatine/Yoda.

Do the films allude to Anakin actually reaching that potential, though? I certainly do not think so. You have to pick through outside sources to reach that conclusion, imo.

Last edited by Galan007 on Nov 29th, 2018 at 11:43 PM

Old Post Nov 29th, 2018 11:40 PM
Darth Thor

Originally posted by Galan007
The "Darth Vader will BECOME more powerful than either of US!" line from RotS implies that Anakin hadn't yet reached Palpatine/Yoda-level...

Well technically he could be on par with them and that line would still make sense.

Old Post Nov 29th, 2018 11:41 PM
Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

OP asks if Anakin was portrayed as being ">" Yoda and Palpatine. Not "=".

That's what I was getting at, if my post wasn't clear.

Last edited by Galan007 on Nov 29th, 2018 at 11:50 PM

Old Post Nov 29th, 2018 11:46 PM
Xiggy
Restricted

Account Restricted

I also disagree that Anakin was portrayed as being better in the films against Dooku either. Which is often brought up.

Old Post Nov 30th, 2018 12:02 AM
NewGuy01
perpetual

Considering that the lion's share of sources that support Anakin's supremacy were people involved with the production of Revenge of the Sith, I'd say that was almost certainly what was intended to be portrayed in the film.

As for whether or not it was received that way, my gut reaction is also probably not, but perhaps moreso than you might think. It's a bit ironic now, but in the past Ant and I actually dedicated quite a bit of time on SWF trying to convince more casual fans of Yoda's and Sidious's supremacy over Anakin.

Old Post Nov 30th, 2018 12:31 AM
Click here to Send NewGuy01 a Private Message Find more posts by NewGuy01 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Xiggy
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by NewGuy01
[B]Considering that the lion's share of sources that support Anakin's supremacy were people involved with the production of Revenge of the Sith, I'd say that was almost certainly what was intended to be portrayed in the film.

It's ashame the only person who actually mattered when it comes to directional intent mucked said sentiment up once again with his "Mace and Yoda can only compete with Palpatine". And then of course the opposite being portrayed in the movies.

Old Post Nov 30th, 2018 12:44 AM
Sheev
The All-Sith

The movies definitely don't convey the image of Anakin being > Sidious and Yoda.

He kills a bunch of no name Jedi completely off screen, and then....gets stalemated by Kenobi before getting sliced up and burned alive. If Lucas was trying to portray his supremacy over Sheev and Yoda there, he did a really bad job of doing so.

Old Post Nov 30th, 2018 12:46 AM
Click here to Send Sheev a Private Message Find more posts by Sheev Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Xiggy
Restricted

Account Restricted

And also using the actors and Gillard as messengers might not be totally succinct. Because one : they're not Lucas and don't share his brain. Two : many things could have happened within production leading up to the film and the final editing. Lucas could have easily changed his mind on the matter hence : "You can only be Mace and Yoda" to compete with palpatine and it clearly being portrayed with Anakin below at least two of characters in the film.

By the way, authorial intent has always been criticised, but many compounding factors make it totally asinine in the Star Wars universe.

Old Post Nov 30th, 2018 12:50 AM