KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Is Thrawn evil in canon?

Is Thrawn evil in canon?
Started by: Mendax

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Mendax
Hand of God

Is Thrawn evil in canon?

I was recently rewatching Rebels and came across this scene-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51gcEVBd6i8

Just seems brutal as ****. Almost sadistic. So it got me wondering if canon Thrawn is intended to be more on the evil spectrum?

Old Post Dec 4th, 2018 11:04 PM
Click here to Send Mendax a Private Message Find more posts by Mendax Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Beelzebub

Not evil, imo. Just brutally efficient. Some of his actions might be perceived as evil but the intention behind them likely isn't.

Old Post Dec 4th, 2018 11:31 PM
Click here to Send Beelzebub a Private Message Find more posts by Beelzebub Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TenebrousWay
God Tier Vaylin

Based as ****.

"On the edge of sanity"

Old Post Dec 4th, 2018 11:35 PM
Click here to Send TenebrousWay a Private Message Find more posts by TenebrousWay Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Beelzebub
Not evil, imo. Just brutally efficient. Some of his actions might be perceived as evil but the intention behind them likely isn't.
This.

There was a problem with the craftsmanship of Imperial vehicles that were being produced at that factory. Sacrificing one worker so the rest could see what would happen to them if the vehicles they assembled continued malfunctioning was the most efficient means of immediately bolstering the overall production quality of that factory. After all, if the workers continued producing subpar equipment, they would essentially be committing suicide.

That said, Thrawn is not 'evil' in the conventional sense -- he is actually portrayed as an exceedingly honorable warrior/tactician in the canon novelizations. However, with a few rare exceptions, he doesn't view people as people, per se(be them Imperial or enemy) -- he views them as assets that can be used/manipulated to help him achieve his desired results for the Emperor. If some of those assets have to die in order for said results to be achieved in the most direct and efficient way possible, then so be it. He has no real attachment either way.

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Last edited by Galan007 on Dec 5th, 2018 at 12:17 AM

Old Post Dec 5th, 2018 12:11 AM
Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

Lol I like the justification for evil. Very villain like of you Galan.

Old Post Dec 5th, 2018 07:49 AM
Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Emperordmb
LSDMB

Yeah no shit he is

Shadilay my brothers and sisters. With any luck we will throw off the shackles of normie oppression. We have nothing to lose but our chains! Praise Kek!
THE MOTTO IS "IN KEK WE TRUST"

Old Post Dec 5th, 2018 08:01 AM
Click here to Send Emperordmb a Private Message Find more posts by Emperordmb Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Freedon Nadd

The Empire is evil.

RealistRacism: "Sheevites, much like the Banites, were meant to increase in power with each member. From Lightsnake to Gideon to Azronger, this was supposed to be the case. However, knowledge must've been lost in some kind of Gravid-like incident, as Az turned out to be a mid-tier debater with a sub-par track record, sh!itting all over Tempest's legacy. Sad."

Old Post Dec 5th, 2018 09:13 AM
Click here to Send Freedon Nadd a Private Message Find more posts by Freedon Nadd Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Originally posted by Darth Thor
Lol I like the justification for evil. Very villain like of you Galan.
You can't be evil if you have no morals to begin with.

(please log in to view the image)

Old Post Dec 5th, 2018 02:50 PM
Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mendax
Hand of God

Originally posted by Galan007
This.

There was a problem with the craftsmanship of Imperial vehicles that were being produced at that factory. Sacrificing one worker so the rest could see what would happen to them if the vehicles they assembled continued malfunctioning was the most efficient means of immediately bolstering the overall production quality of that factory. After all, if the workers continued producing subpar equipment, they would essentially be committing suicide.

That said, Thrawn is not 'evil' in the conventional sense -- he is actually portrayed as an exceedingly honorable warrior/tactician in the canon novelizations. However, with a few rare exceptions, he doesn't view people as people, per se(be them Imperial or enemy) -- he views them as assets that can be used/manipulated to help him achieve his desired results for the Emperor. If some of those assets have to die in order for said results to be achieved in the most direct and efficient way possible, then so be it. He has no real attachment either way.
Doesn't that still make him evil though?

Old Post Dec 5th, 2018 03:13 PM
Click here to Send Mendax a Private Message Find more posts by Mendax Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
RealistRacism
Restricted

Account Restricted

It's all perspective. Is doing what's right for your people at all costs inherently evil? No. But you can do things that would be considered 'evil' to reach that end goal.

Tbh, whenever a villain is doing something for other people/the greater good of a certain group, be it family, species, planet etc. - whether the right method or not - I don't see them as particularly bad.

Old Post Dec 5th, 2018 03:18 PM
Click here to Send RealistRacism a Private Message Find more posts by RealistRacism Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Exactly.

There is rarely ever any malicious intent behind Thrawn's actions. He simply provides results in the most effective, efficient, and direct way possible. Does that make him 'evil' in the same sense as Palpatine, Vader, or even Tarkin? Absolutely not.

With that being said, Thrawn does not advocate killing for the sake of killing(as most Imperial figureheads do.) He actually prefers to take his enemies alive whenever possible/practical.

Old Post Dec 5th, 2018 03:36 PM
Beelzebub

Evil is based on intent, not outcome. At least, imo.

Old Post Dec 5th, 2018 06:13 PM
Click here to Send Beelzebub a Private Message Find more posts by Beelzebub Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Freedon Nadd

Originally posted by Galan007
You can't be evil if you have no morals to begin with.

(please log in to view the image)

That is not a good joke.

RealistRacism: "Sheevites, much like the Banites, were meant to increase in power with each member. From Lightsnake to Gideon to Azronger, this was supposed to be the case. However, knowledge must've been lost in some kind of Gravid-like incident, as Az turned out to be a mid-tier debater with a sub-par track record, sh!itting all over Tempest's legacy. Sad."

Old Post Dec 5th, 2018 06:44 PM
Click here to Send Freedon Nadd a Private Message Find more posts by Freedon Nadd Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

thumb up

Old Post Dec 5th, 2018 06:50 PM
gold slorg
Restricted

Account Restricted

Well, he's on the "evil" side. So in that sense, he's evil.

As a person, discounting advocating for the Empire, not really. As moral as any other qualified military commander on Earth during wartime.

Old Post Dec 5th, 2018 07:36 PM
Click here to Send gold slorg a Private Message Find more posts by gold slorg Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

Originally posted by gold slorg
As moral as any other qualified military commander on Earth during wartime.

So any other qualified military commander on Earth during wartime would start randomly killing his own soldiers if there was a traitor among them?

Old Post Dec 6th, 2018 11:05 AM
Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mendax
Hand of God

Originally posted by Darth Thor
So any other qualified military commander on Earth during wartime would start randomly killing his own soldiers if there was a traitor among them?
Umm this has actually happened many, many times in civilized history...and more times than not the military officiants in question had very evil intent behind what they were doing.

But I want to keep this discussion in the realm of SW. Not RW.

Old Post Dec 6th, 2018 12:36 PM
Darth Thor

Originally posted by Mendax
Umm this has actually happened many, many times in civilized history...and more times than not the military officiants in question had very evil intent behind what they were doing.

Key part underlined.

Of course massive loads of atrocities happen in war times. But point is we still accept them as atrocities, and have a code of conduct we support even during war times.

For example its well known during war times there are many cases of rape, even from the so called civilised sides. But we still accept that as an awful crime.

Old Post Dec 6th, 2018 12:46 PM
RealistRacism
Restricted

Account Restricted

How else are they going to let off steam? Anti-rape propagandist smh.

Old Post Dec 6th, 2018 12:48 PM
Click here to Send RealistRacism a Private Message Find more posts by RealistRacism Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Thrawn wasn't even a rapist, afaik. Poor analogy all around. thumb down

Old Post Dec 6th, 2018 12:50 PM