KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » When was Maul's prime?

When was Maul's prime?
Started by: TheIndyJedi

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
TheIndyJedi

When was Maul's prime?

I think most people here believe SOD was Maul's prime. We obviously know it wasn't Rebels, as confirmed by Matt Martin. But couldn't it be argued that Maul declined after TPM since he lost his legs and basically became a mad man for years until he was found by Opress. Therefore this makes me look at TPM where he was duelling Obi Wan and Qui Gon (two of the best Jedi in the order's history) at the same time while doing acrobatic kicks, and all sorts of martial arts moves. There is also Maul duelling Qui Gon while injured on Tatooine, and still gaining the advantage against him.Also Filoni likened TCW Maul to Vader in the sense that he was broken and possibly not as powerful as he once was before. So is it possible that TPM Maul could replicate those feats that he performed against Aayla and Mace to an even greater extent? Could TPM Maul ragdoll Kenobi etc.?

Old Post Mar 24th, 2019 02:32 PM
Click here to Send TheIndyJedi a Private Message Find more posts by TheIndyJedi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

TPM-era Maul also struggled to defeat that other Padawan(Eldra Kaitis.)

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Old Post Mar 24th, 2019 04:16 PM
Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zenwolf

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Galan007

TPM Maul has been kinda meh D Canon wise. Unless he gets something more than it’s weird he goes from that to fighting a Master/Padawan duo.

Old Post Mar 24th, 2019 05:24 PM
Click here to Send Zenwolf a Private Message Find more posts by Zenwolf Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheNuisanceBird
Wrecker - Scientist Class

TCW Maul sure was less effective than TPM Maul. SOD Maul is portrayed as being just as effective if not more than his TPM counterpart. There’s a reason I used SOD Maul against Anakin in the video of them I did.

There’s also the fact that throughout the Clone Wars Maul was deprived of a saber staff.

SOD Maul with a saber staff should be around his TPM self.

In terms of the legs they’re more durable but could have problems with Force lightning.

In Force SOD Maul is clearly > TPM Maul.

"Dooku is not top tier,-" - Jensaarai1.

YouTube Channel With VS Videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbhNQdtnbLQf80P-91V917w
IG: red_spade_25
Twitter: @AnikenJonas

Old Post Mar 24th, 2019 05:24 PM
Click here to Send TheNuisanceBird a Private Message Find more posts by TheNuisanceBird Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Originally posted by Zenwolf
TPM Maul has been kinda meh D Canon wise. Unless he gets something more than it's weird he goes from that to fighting a Master/Padawan duo.
Clearly TPM Kenobi and Qui-Gon just weren't that good.

Old Post Mar 24th, 2019 07:24 PM
Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ares834

quote:
TCW Maul sure was less effective than TPM Maul.

Why? Contending with TCW Kenobi is far more impressive then what he did in TPM.

Old Post Mar 24th, 2019 07:30 PM
Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheIndyJedi

That was atleast a few years before TPM, which gives Maul more time to grow

Old Post Mar 24th, 2019 09:05 PM
Click here to Send TheIndyJedi a Private Message Find more posts by TheIndyJedi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Was it set that long before TPM? Didn't know that.

Source?

Old Post Mar 24th, 2019 09:18 PM
relentless1
Dark Overlord of KMC

TPM Maul was his prime if youre looking at it from a potential perspective; SOD was his prime as far as success though

Old Post Mar 25th, 2019 03:07 AM
Click here to Send relentless1 a Private Message Find more posts by relentless1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

Was it set that long before TPM? Didn't know that.

Source?

Nor was there evidence it was right before TPM.

All we know is it was prior to TPM. Hence any comparison of parity to TPM Maul is kinda moot.

Also its not like he lost to that padawan. Anakin struggled against Barriss, Grievous against Ahsoka and Vader against Luke. Padawans can be tough sometimes.

Old Post Mar 25th, 2019 04:03 PM
Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

I mean, it certainly didn't read like it was set very long before the events of TPM, given the overall portrayal of Palpatine and Maul, along with the fact that they had already allied themselves with the Trade Federation by the time of this series. /shrug

Also, I didn't say Maul lost to Eldra, but she did give him a very good fight.

Old Post Mar 25th, 2019 08:48 PM
Darth Thor

^ I know, just pointing out a few facts. Cant call him TPM Maul until that is confirmed as the time frame.

Heck even if its a few months earlier, Maul could have significantly improved in that time, given his age and apprentice status.

Old Post Mar 25th, 2019 09:38 PM
Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Indeed there are a lot of 'could haves' and 'maybes' we could shuffle through here. Just saying that the comics read like they were set shortly before the events of TPM... At least in my opinion. /shrug

Last edited by Galan007 on Mar 25th, 2019 at 11:10 PM

Old Post Mar 25th, 2019 11:06 PM
Zenwolf

Indeed there are a lot of 'could haves' and 'maybes' we could shuffle through here. Just saying that the comics read like they were set shortly before the events of TPM... At least in my opinion. /shrug

The crawls even say at times, it grows close for them to enact their revenge. So can't imagine it'd be too far away.

Old Post Mar 25th, 2019 11:16 PM
Click here to Send Zenwolf a Private Message Find more posts by Zenwolf Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tzeentch
#gottem

TPM Maul. Of course being in his prime didn't save from getting dabbed on by an angry apprentice.

"The Daemon lied with every breath. It could not help itself but to deceive and dismay, to riddle and ruin. The more we conversed, the closer I drew to one singularly ineluctable fact: I would gain no wisdom here."

Old Post Mar 25th, 2019 11:50 PM
Click here to Send Tzeentch a Private Message Find more posts by Tzeentch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

Originally posted by Zenwolf
The crawls even say at times, it grows close for them to enact their revenge. So can't imagine it'd be too far away.

Yeah but look how much Anankin grew in a few months between AOTC and TCW, or in the few months prior to ROTS.

Given Mauls age and level, he was likely continuously improving up until his bisection.

Also growing closer to the time of TPM or being set shortly before TPM, could still be a couple of years out.

Last edited by Darth Thor on Mar 26th, 2019 at 10:15 AM

Old Post Mar 26th, 2019 10:11 AM
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Yeesh. I certainly wouldn't compare Maul's potential for growth to Anakin's...

Last edited by Galan007 on Mar 26th, 2019 at 03:52 PM

Old Post Mar 26th, 2019 02:33 PM
Unbowed

Why not? As of TPM, while still in his early 20s he was already comparable in power to AOTC Dooku, who was the unparalleled prodigy in the Jedi Order until Anakin came along, and had about seven decades of Jedi training and another decade of training under Sidious.

I'd say Maul was certainly comparable, especially before he was bisected.

Old Post Mar 26th, 2019 10:03 PM
Click here to Send Unbowed a Private Message Find more posts by Unbowed Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

Principle is the same. Hes at that point in his training where even a few months can make a big difference. Let alone a couple of years.

Old Post Mar 26th, 2019 10:20 PM
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Originally posted by Unbowed
Why not? As of TPM, while still in his early 20s he was already comparable in power to AOTC Dooku, who was the unparalleled prodigy in the Jedi Order until Anakin came along, and had about seven decades of Jedi training and another decade of training under Sidious.

I'd say Maul was certainly comparable, especially before he was bisected.
You think Maul's potential was on par with Anakin's? Really?

Old Post Mar 26th, 2019 10:23 PM