KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Rian Johnson doesn't care if TLJ gets retconned...

Rian Johnson doesn't care if TLJ gets retconned...
Started by: Galan007

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Rian Johnson doesn't care if TLJ gets retconned...

So according to Rian himself, he doesn't care if Abrams retcons TLJ... "Whatever [Abrams] wants to do is fine":
https://twitter.com/MTVNEWS/status/1114183114270609408

...You know you made a pile of crap film when you don't give a f*ck if its plot gets erased from existence by another Director, lol.

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Old Post Apr 6th, 2019 12:28 AM
Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
CaveDude33211

Re: Rian Johnson doesn't care if TLJ gets retconned...

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Galan007
So according to Rian himself, he doesn't care if Abrams retcons TLJ... "Whatever [Abrams] wants to do is fine":
https://twitter.com/MTVNEWS/status/1114183114270609408

...You know you made a pile of crap film when you don't give a f*ck if its plot gets erased from existence by another Director, lol.

100% Agree. thumb up

Old Post Apr 6th, 2019 12:42 AM
Click here to Send CaveDude33211 a Private Message Find more posts by CaveDude33211 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zenwolf

This is just gonna make everything worse. -_- The movies won't make any sense, at least have the gall to continue what was established. Just because they screwed up without a plan, doesn't make it ok to just retcon shit because they didn't like what happened, it's their fault to begin with.

Old Post Apr 6th, 2019 01:07 AM
Click here to Send Zenwolf a Private Message Find more posts by Zenwolf Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ares834

Nope. Zen is completely incorrrect. Retcon that shit out of there. Story should trump countinuity.

Old Post Apr 6th, 2019 02:36 AM
Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zenwolf

Originally posted by ares834
Nope. Zen is completely incorrrect. Retcon that shit out of there. Story should trump countinuity.

Can't really have a story if you keep retconning stuff, otherwise you're just back to square one. But if they wanna retcon what happened in TLJ, then by all means, go for it.

Old Post Apr 6th, 2019 02:59 AM
Click here to Send Zenwolf a Private Message Find more posts by Zenwolf Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

Retcon Luke dying for like no reason. Say he just teleported... Or dont even bother explaining it.

Old Post Apr 6th, 2019 01:34 PM
Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Trocity
Undefeated and Undisputed

So they can continue to shit on his character? No thanks.

Old Post Apr 6th, 2019 08:15 PM
Click here to Send Trocity a Private Message Find more posts by Trocity Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
CaveDude33211

Originally posted by Zenwolf
This is just gonna make everything worse. -_- The movies won't make any sense, at least have the gall to continue what was established. Just because they screwed up without a plan, doesn't make it ok to just retcon shit because they didn't like what happened, it's their fault to begin with.

Disney is in desperation-mode.

Their investor-confidence is crumbling and they're just now trying to dig a hole, out of the hole they created. laughing

Old Post Apr 6th, 2019 08:42 PM
Click here to Send CaveDude33211 a Private Message Find more posts by CaveDude33211 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
CaveDude33211

Originally posted by Darth Thor
Retcon Luke dying for like no reason. Say he just teleported... Or dont even bother explaining it.

laughing

Old Post Apr 6th, 2019 08:42 PM
CaveDude33211

Originally posted by Zenwolf
Can't really have a story if you keep retconning stuff, otherwise you're just back to square one. But if they wanna retcon what happened in TLJ, then by all means, go for it.

I think it's fvcking hilarious.

Old Post Apr 6th, 2019 08:44 PM
steverules_2

He was beamed onto the enterprise

I'm Bada's pimp

I created Raptor Bada, Donald, and Sparkles

Old Post Apr 7th, 2019 09:35 AM
Click here to Send steverules_2 a Private Message Find more posts by steverules_2 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheNuisanceBird
Wrecker - Scientist Class

Retcon the entire sequels by making it a bad dream Luke has.

"Dooku is not top tier,-" - Jensaarai1.

YouTube Channel With VS Videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbhNQdtnbLQf80P-91V917w
IG: red_spade_25
Twitter: @AnikenJonas

Old Post Apr 7th, 2019 05:19 PM
Click here to Send TheNuisanceBird a Private Message Find more posts by TheNuisanceBird Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

Originally posted by Trocity
So they can continue to shit on his character? No thanks.

You think they cant do that when he comes back as a ghost?

Old Post Apr 8th, 2019 11:43 AM
Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StiltmanFTW
CBvF

You think they cant do that when he comes back as a ghost?

This.

Being dead means little when you're familiar with the Force Ghost technique.

I wish they kept making "Star Wars Stories". Instead of having those insane ideas, like allowing Rian to do his own trilogy.

Old Post Apr 8th, 2019 03:50 PM
Click here to Send StiltmanFTW a Private Message Find more posts by StiltmanFTW Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rockydonovang
freedom fighter

tfa essnetially retconned rotj than tlj cmented tfa's retcon while also retconning tfa.

How about we just retcon the new trilogy as a fan fic space opera made by writers who don't understand the concept of world building?

Say what you want about the prequels, the stories built and used what was provided to them by the originals. You could understand every major change throught the first 6 movies. That's called cohesive writing. And that is, by far the most important thing when building on an established canon.

Old Post Apr 9th, 2019 04:32 AM
Click here to Send Rockydonovang a Private Message Find more posts by Rockydonovang Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheIndyJedi

Originally posted by Rockydonovang
tfa essnetially retconned rotj than tlj cmented tfa's retcon while also retconning tfa.

How about we just retcon the new trilogy as a fan fic space opera made by writers who don't understand the concept of world building?

Say what you want about the prequels, the stories built and used what was provided to them by the originals. You could understand every major change throught the first 6 movies. That's called cohesive writing. And that is, by far the most important thing when building on an established canon.

I would argue that the Prequels retconned a lot of things too. Like the idea of Qui Gon training Obi Wan instead of Yoda as was established in the OT. Midichlorians.
Anakin building threepio. Chewbacca knowing Yoda. Boba Fett is a clone of his father.
But yeh this new trilogy isn't that much better.

Last edited by TheIndyJedi on Apr 9th, 2019 at 11:50 AM

Old Post Apr 9th, 2019 11:45 AM
Click here to Send TheIndyJedi a Private Message Find more posts by TheIndyJedi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

^ None of that was retconning. Just additional information. Kenobi makes it clear in his first few lines of TPM that he has been trained by Yoda as well.

The main retcon I can think of off the top of my head was Leia being very young when her Mum died, as if she knew her and remembered her. But I think that one was necessary.

Old Post Apr 9th, 2019 01:34 PM
StiltmanFTW
CBvF

^ None of that was retconning. Just additional information. Kenobi makes it clear in his first few lines of TPM that he has been trained by Yoda as well.

He does? Refresh my memory.

Technically, Yoda trained a lot of younglings. Expanded Universe (Dave Wolverton's and Jude Watson's Jedi Apprentice book series) confirmed Obi was one of them, iirc. And seeing how he was the grandmaster of the Jedi Order, he could instruct and teach anyone... one above all and all that stuff stick out tongue

The main retcon I can think of off the top of my head was Leia being very young when her Mum died, as if she knew her and remembered her. But I think that one was necessary.

No EU stuff tried to elaborate on that part?

Old Post Apr 9th, 2019 01:48 PM
Click here to Send StiltmanFTW a Private Message Find more posts by StiltmanFTW Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
CaveDude33211

thumb up

Old Post Apr 9th, 2019 01:54 PM
Darth Thor

Originally posted by StiltmanFTW
He does? Refresh my memory.

Technically, Yoda trained a lot of younglings. Expanded Universe (Dave Wolverton's and Jude Watson's Jedi Apprentice book series) confirmed Obi was one of them, iirc. And seeing how he was the grandmaster of the Jedi Order, he could instruct and teach anyone... one above all and all that stuff stick out tongue

Oh just when Qui-Gons telling him to keep his concentration in the here and now, then Obi-Wan says “But Master Yoda told me to be mindful of the future” suggesting Yoda is another mentor of his.

And correct about the younglings. We actually first saw that on AOTC.

Originally posted by StiltmanFTW

No EU stuff tried to elaborate on that part?

Disney EU has. She sees a painting of Padme, and recognises her presumably through a force connection.

Old Post Apr 9th, 2019 02:03 PM