KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Character improvements?

Character improvements?
Started by: Sheev

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Sheev
The All-Sith

Character improvements?

Are there any characters that you think have actually been improved by the current SW canon, and are actually better then they were in Legends?

How about new characters? Are there any really good NEW characters in current canon IYO?

Old Post Jan 2nd, 2020 08:47 PM
Click here to Send Sheev a Private Message Find more posts by Sheev Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zenwolf

I can't really think of any frankly that have been improved from previous incarnations.

The only good new character at least imo has been Dr. Cylo, it was a shame though he was wasted early.

Old Post Jan 2nd, 2020 09:01 PM
Click here to Send Zenwolf a Private Message Find more posts by Zenwolf Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Stark
Lord of Winterfell

Kenobi because of the Duchess Satine sub-plot to be honest. TCWs adds a lot to his character.

The North Remembers

Old Post Jan 2nd, 2020 09:35 PM
Click here to Send Lord Stark a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Stark Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NewGuy01
perpetual

NewGuy01 is online now!

That story was part of Legends too, though.

Old Post Jan 2nd, 2020 10:02 PM
Click here to Send NewGuy01 a Private Message Find more posts by NewGuy01 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
xPRIMEx

Vader because Disney loves wanking him

Old Post Jan 2nd, 2020 10:26 PM
Click here to Send xPRIMEx a Private Message Find more posts by xPRIMEx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Sheev
Are there any characters that you think have actually been improved by the current SW canon, and are actually better then they were in Legends?
Even if you ignore TCW, Disney canon has still treated several existing characters very well, imo... From Dooku, to Qui-Gon, to Vader, to Tarkin, to Quinlan Vos, to Jocasta Nu, etc.

As to which Legends character I think Disney canon has improved upon the most: I'd honestly say Thrawn. I feel like Zahn is writing the Thrawn HE always wanted to write, and giving him loads of great characterization/backstory in the process. Don't get me wrong, I'm still a huge fan of the original Thrawn trilogy -- I just think the new material is better. /shrug

Originally posted by Sheev
How about new characters? Are there any really good NEW characters in current canon IYO?
Sure. A few that come to mind are:

Lord Momin
Rael Aveross
Cylo
Grand Inquisitor
The Grysk
Queen of Ktath'atn
Bendu
The Mandalorian (Din Djarin)
Karr Nuq Sin

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Old Post Jan 2nd, 2020 11:11 PM
Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zentrex
Hi!

As far as preexisting characters go, Darth Maul comes to mind. Palpatine's great as ever.

I like Poe and Finn, controversially enough. I kinda thought Director Krennic was a cool concept of a character. Beckett and Qui'Ra too.

A lot of the books had great characters. I remember really liking "Lost Stars" when it came out about 5 years ago. Thane Kyrell and Cienna Ree, I think the two main characters were. That book also made Tarkin look really good. There was Lexo Sooger from the Canto Bight novel. Gallius Rax and Rae Sloane from the "Aftermath" series.

When it comes to the comics, I think they knocked it out of the park, especially with Dr. Aphra. I haven't read the Kanan comics, but some people say that they're really good, so there's that.

I know how everyone feels about Star Wars: Resistance on this forum, but I for one loved it. I like Kaz and Yeeger. Iden Versio from Battlefront II. The Mandalorian. Haven't seen enough of Cara Dune yet, but seems she promising. Obviously, the whole world's in love with "The Child."

Old Post Jan 13th, 2020 12:37 AM
Click here to Send Zentrex a Private Message Find more posts by Zentrex Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Eli Vanto
Tactical Prodigy

Speaking of; Eli Vanto is a great addition to new canon.

and I'm not just saying that because I'm biased. He really is an awesome character with a great story. stick out tongue

Old Post Jan 13th, 2020 12:41 AM
Click here to Send Eli Vanto a Private Message Find more posts by Eli Vanto Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sheev
The All-Sith

Originally posted by Galan007
Don't get me wrong, I'm still a huge fan of the original Thrawn trilogy -- I just think the new material is better. /shrug
Blasphemy!!!

Originally posted by Galan007
Sure. A few that come to mind are:

Karr Nuq Sin
I heard of most of the others, but who is this? Couldrnt even find his wookiee page confused

Old Post Jan 13th, 2020 12:52 AM
Click here to Send Sheev a Private Message Find more posts by Sheev Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sheev
The All-Sith

Originally posted by Eli Vanto
Speaking of; Eli Vanto is a great addition to new canon.

and I'm not just saying that because I'm biased. He really is an awesome character with a great story. stick out tongue
Eli is awesome actuallythumb up

From country bumpkin to high ranking member of the empire, to high ranking member of the Chiss fleet. Great stuff

Old Post Jan 13th, 2020 12:53 AM
Zentrex
Hi!

quote:
I heard of most of the others, but who is this? Couldrnt even find his wookiee page confused

He's the guy from the Force Collector Novel that was to tie in with the Galaxy's Edge stuff.

Old Post Jan 13th, 2020 12:59 AM
Click here to Send Zentrex a Private Message Find more posts by Zentrex Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sheev
The All-Sith

Oh ok.

What's his story? Must be fairly interesting if galan listed him..? confused

Old Post Jan 13th, 2020 01:02 AM
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Karr Nuq Sin is from the Force Collector novel, which is set shortly before TFA. He's a kid who discovers that he can use the force(Psychometry is his thing), and also realizes that he needs to learn how to control his abilities. He needs a teacher.

So he sets out on a mission to try and track down Luke Skywalker after hearing about all the legends surrounding him. It's a fun read, and Karr is a great character, imo... Reminds me of a younger version of Quinlan Vos.

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Last edited by Galan007 on Jan 13th, 2020 at 03:17 AM

Old Post Jan 13th, 2020 03:14 AM
Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Psychotron

Vader was the only character that wasn't ruined, so him by default.

Old Post Jan 13th, 2020 10:38 AM
Click here to Send Psychotron a Private Message Find more posts by Psychotron Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Eli Vanto
Tactical Prodigy

Oh come on. Vader definitely isn't the only character that wasn't ruined. Numerous characters have been given loads of respect in new canon.

Old Post Jan 13th, 2020 03:40 PM
Click here to Send Eli Vanto a Private Message Find more posts by Eli Vanto Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

^ Kenobi was given tons of respect in Rebels. Unfortunately it was at the expense of Maul.

Old Post Jan 13th, 2020 03:51 PM
Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Eli Vanto
Tactical Prodigy

True.

But I think that even Maul was given a fair amount of respect in canon overall. It's not like losing to Sidious and ANH Kenobi makes him cannon fodder by any stretch.

Last edited by Eli Vanto on Jan 13th, 2020 at 04:05 PM

Old Post Jan 13th, 2020 03:53 PM
Darth Thor

True.

But I think that even Maul was given a fair amount of respect in canon overall. It's not like losing to Sidious and ANH Kenobi makes him cannon fodder by and stretch.

Well we are specifically talking about how Disney treated him. Losing to Sidious was pre-Disney.

If Maul was shown wrecking house the entire time he was on Rebels, only to have been owned by ANH Kenobi right at the end, then that would have been cool. But it wasnt done like that.

Old Post Jan 13th, 2020 04:07 PM
Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Eli Vanto
Tactical Prodigy

TCW is still canon Maul though. He also had some good showings in Son of Dathomir.

And in Rebels Maul was still shitting on 3 Inquisitors at the same time. I don't think he was treated poorly there at all.

Old Post Jan 13th, 2020 04:11 PM
Darth Thor

TCW is still canon Maul though. He also had some good showings in Son of Dathomir.

And in Rebels Maul was still shitting on 3 Inquisitors at the same time. I don't think he was treated poorly there at all.

Pretty sure Current Star Wars Canon is referring to the new canon that began once Disney took over. And I shall give you SOD, although that would have been in animated form had Disney not come in and cancelled TCW at that time.

Beating the Inquistors and fighting on par with Ahsoka was all great. But utterly ruined by blind Kanan beating him right after. Maul needed another big showing after that embarrassment which he never got.

So Kenobi beating him in 3 moves left more of a “Well Maul just isnt that good” taste rather than the “Wow ANH Kenobi is That Good” feeling that it intended to leave IMHO.

Still they Treated Kenobi very well in terms of his portrayal outside the 3 move stomp.

Old Post Jan 13th, 2020 04:21 PM