KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Is Palpatine/Snoke's feat more impressive than Luke's?

Is Palpatine/Snoke's feat more impressive than Luke's?
Started by: Big Gerald

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Big Gerald
Star Wars Expert

Is Palpatine/Snoke's feat more impressive than Luke's?

Luke made a lifelike illusion from across the galaxy that fooled even Kylo Ren.

Snoke bridged the minds of two people to the extent that they could interact with each other's surroundings.

Which of these is more impressive? I think the second one, yet Luke's feat actually killed him.

Old Post Jan 20th, 2020 11:37 PM
Click here to Send Big Gerald a Private Message Find more posts by Big Gerald Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Luke's, imo.

Snoke just exploited a natural connection that was already there. He didn't create it.

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Old Post Jan 20th, 2020 11:47 PM
Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

Lukes was far more impressive given Kylo and Rey already had a Dyad.

I think Maul was more impressive giving Ezra visions of Kenobi, from another star system, given there was no known force connection already in place between any of those 3.

Old Post Jan 20th, 2020 11:54 PM
Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Big Gerald
Star Wars Expert

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Darth Thor
Lukes was far more impressive given Kylo and Rey already had a Dyad.

I think Maul was more impressive giving Ezra visions of Kenobi, from another star system, given there was no known force connection already in place between any of those 3.

Maul's feat is what got me thinking about this. It seems like a more common ability than certain people would have you believe.

Old Post Jan 21st, 2020 12:18 AM
Click here to Send Big Gerald a Private Message Find more posts by Big Gerald Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

Snoke a commoner? Blasphemy! Skillz will insult you then run away for this.

Old Post Jan 21st, 2020 09:03 AM
Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Psychotron

Re: Is Palpatine/Snoke's feat more impressive than Luke's?

Originally posted by Big Gerald
Luke made a lifelike illusion from across the galaxy that fooled even Kylo Ren.

Snoke bridged the minds of two people to the extent that they could interact with each other's surroundings.

Which of these is more impressive? I think the second one, yet Luke's feat actually killed him.

Why is everyone impressed by an illusion. This feels like something Luke should be able to do without even trying.

Old Post Jan 21st, 2020 11:36 AM
Click here to Send Psychotron a Private Message Find more posts by Psychotron Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zentrex
Hi!

Originally posted by Psychotron
Why is everyone impressed by an illusion. This feels like something Luke should be able to do without even trying.

Because it's not the same as legends. We don't know how tiring this ability is, but considering he was a galaxy away, and maintained a very convincing illusion (even for a trained and powerful force user) for quite some time, I'd say it's pretty impressive.

I don't believe he died from the exhaustion, but it defenitely took a visible toll on him, which is further proof of its difficulty.

Old Post Jan 23rd, 2020 07:34 AM
Click here to Send Zentrex a Private Message Find more posts by Zentrex Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

^ I've mentioned this before, but it was stated in the RoS VD that Luke created the projection by pouring his own living force into the cosmic force in order to bridge the distance(literally hundreds of light years) -- which is something we have never seen before in the mythos.

The result was more than just a simple 'illusion', imo, as the projection clearly had solid elements to it...

-Luke gripped Leia's hands and kissed her forehead. He also manifested Han's dice, which were 'solid' and could be held by others.
-3PO's optic sensors registered Luke actually being there.
-His robes/hair were flapping in the wind on Crait.
-Kylo and Leia(who can very accurately sense presences in the force and had very strong connections to Luke) didn't realize that the projection wasn't actually Luke at first.

I believe it was literally Luke's essence/life force standing in front of them, which is why it was indistinguishable from the real deal. /shrug

Old Post Jan 23rd, 2020 12:50 PM
Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StiltmanFTW
CBvF

Also this is why Luke died, lol.

Old Post Jan 23rd, 2020 12:54 PM
Click here to Send StiltmanFTW a Private Message Find more posts by StiltmanFTW Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

Yeah Luke dying was the only shit part of that feat.

I wonder if it still would have killed him if he did it via a much shorter distance.

Old Post Jan 23rd, 2020 01:00 PM
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Originally posted by Darth Thor
Yeah Luke dying was the only shit part of that feat.

I wonder if it still would have killed him if he did it via a much shorter distance.
With the added context the supplementary material provides, it becomes an absolutely extraordinary feat(especially when you consider that Luke had been entirely closed off from the force for YEARS prior to that.) thumb up

I think distance and time are huge factors, yeah. The farther away you're projecting, the harder you have to concentrate, as you are literally manipulating/channeling the cosmic force itself to bridge the distance... And the longer you manifest the projection, the more of your own life force you have to dump into it.

Last edited by Galan007 on Jan 23rd, 2020 at 01:23 PM

Old Post Jan 23rd, 2020 01:18 PM
StiltmanFTW
CBvF

I understand you're trying to sugarcoat it as much as possible (since it's the only "cool" thing we've seen Luke doing in TLJ), but Rian's treatment of the character was still unforgivable.

Luke's "I was wrong" line in TRoS was basically Abrams apologizing to fans for Johnson's screw-up.

Old Post Jan 23rd, 2020 01:38 PM
Click here to Send StiltmanFTW a Private Message Find more posts by StiltmanFTW Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Sugarcoating?

I'm just mentioning the impressiveness of the projection feat, because the idea/myth that it was just a simple "illusion" no longer holds up... It was much more than that.

But acknowledging that one feat from the film was badass certainly isn't me trying to imply that TLJ wasn't a complete shitshow, lol... Especially when the film itself didn't even cement how amazing the feat was(it took supplementary material to do that.) thumb up

Old Post Jan 23rd, 2020 01:48 PM
StiltmanFTW
CBvF

Kylo still should have figured out that Luke couldn't have survived that blaster barrage... and Luke's doppelganger leaving no red footprints should have tipped him off, too.

Old Post Jan 23rd, 2020 02:13 PM
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

...Or maybe Luke could have survived that blaster fire in person, which is why Kylo wasn't overly surprised to see him alive afterward. shifty

Last edited by Galan007 on Jan 23rd, 2020 at 02:21 PM

Old Post Jan 23rd, 2020 02:19 PM
Darth Thor

Originally posted by Galan007
...Or maybe Luke could have survived that blaster fire in person, which is why Kylo wasn't overly surprised to see him alive afterward. shifty

This thumb up

Old Post Jan 23rd, 2020 02:31 PM
Eli Vanto
Tactical Prodigy

Thats true.thumb up

After Luke brushed off the blaster barrage, Kylo didn't even let out an "impossible!" or whatever. He just kind of sighed IIRC. It was kind of one of those "O well. You can't blame me for trying" kind of things.

Old Post Jan 23rd, 2020 02:48 PM
Click here to Send Eli Vanto a Private Message Find more posts by Eli Vanto Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Big Gerald
Star Wars Expert

If anything, the fact Luke was wielding the lightsaber that was just destroyed should have tipped Kylo off

Old Post Jan 23rd, 2020 04:39 PM
Darth Thor

Originally posted by Big Gerald
If anything, the fact Luke was wielding the lightsaber that was just destroyed should have tipped Kylo off

Kylo might not have known it was destroyed. Since he was KOd at the same time.

That said, Luke should have used his green one.

Old Post Jan 23rd, 2020 05:06 PM
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Yeah, having Luke use Anakin's saber was actually pretty stupid(thx again, Rian), given that Kylo had obviously never seen him use it before. Would have made a lot more sense to have him use the green blade.

Last edited by Galan007 on Jan 23rd, 2020 at 05:27 PM

Old Post Jan 23rd, 2020 05:11 PM