KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » What did Canon Darth Vaders suite feel like ? (See below for details)

What did Canon Darth Vaders suite feel like ? (See below for details)
Started by: ozz81

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
ozz81

What did Canon Darth Vaders suite feel like ? (See below for details)

In Star wars legends it said that darth vaders suite was designed and made to make him feel extreme discomfort, pain and suffering (ie itch, pain , heaviness , hard to breathe etc) and it was done deliberately by palaptine so that he can stay in tune with the dark side of the force ie the pain and discomfort made him more angry etc.

What does the canon stuff really say about what darth vaders suite really felt like when he wore it etc , was it painful and uncomfortable like the legends series or better ?

Old Post Jan 24th, 2020 07:37 AM
Click here to Send ozz81 a Private Message Find more posts by ozz81 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zentrex
Hi!

It wasn't painful or uncomfortable.
It made him stronger and faster. I forgot where it said this originally, but in the Darth Vader series by Kieron Gillen in 2015, it was pretty obvious that the armor had no disadvantages.

Old Post Jan 24th, 2020 08:29 AM
Click here to Send Zentrex a Private Message Find more posts by Zentrex Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

quote:
An automated metal arm held the armor's helmet and faceplate over his head, a doom soon to descend. The eyes of the faceplate, which intimidated so many, were no peer to his unmasked eyes. From within a sea of scars, his gaze simmered with controlled, harnessed fury. The secondary respirator, still attached to him, always attached to him, masked the ruins of his mouth, and the sound of his breathing echoed off the walls.

Drawing on the Force, he activated the automated arm. It descended and the helmet and faceplate wrapped his head in metal and plasteel, the shell in which he existed. He welcomed the spikes of pain when the helmet's neural needles stabbed into the flesh of his skull and the base of his spine, unifying his body, mind, and armor to form an interconnected unit.

When man and machine were one, he no longer felt the absence of his legs or arms, the pain of his flesh, but the hate remained, and the rage still burned. Those, he never relinquished, and he never felt more connected to the Force than when his fury burned. With an effort of will, he commanded the onboard computer to link the primary respirator to the secondary, and to seal the helmet at the neck, encasing him fully. He was home.

-Lords of the Sith

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Old Post Jan 24th, 2020 12:24 PM
Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Eli Vanto
Tactical Prodigy

Ya, canon Vader's suit didn't hinder him at all. If anything he was more powerful than ever.

Old Post Jan 24th, 2020 01:42 PM
Click here to Send Eli Vanto a Private Message Find more posts by Eli Vanto Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tzeentch
#gottem

He was Palpatine's right-hand man so I imagine he had a pretty nice suite. At least a cocktail bar and walk-in baththub.

"The Daemon lied with every breath. It could not help itself but to deceive and dismay, to riddle and ruin. The more we conversed, the closer I drew to one singularly ineluctable fact: I would gain no wisdom here."

Old Post Jan 24th, 2020 03:00 PM
Click here to Send Tzeentch a Private Message Find more posts by Tzeentch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NewGuy01
perpetual

It felt suite.

Old Post Jan 24th, 2020 03:02 PM
Click here to Send NewGuy01 a Private Message Find more posts by NewGuy01 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zenwolf

His suit wasn't much a hindrance before either, sure at the start, but after he got adjusted, it wasn't.

Old Post Jan 24th, 2020 10:20 PM
Click here to Send Zenwolf a Private Message Find more posts by Zenwolf Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

Well it helped him walk, move and fight. So clearly not a hindrance.

His injuries on the other hand... Those always kept him from overthrowing the Emperor.

Old Post Jan 24th, 2020 10:25 PM
Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StiltmanFTW
CBvF

Didn't [canon] Vader construct a new suit for himself at some point, anyway?

Pretty sure Galan posted the scans.

Old Post Jan 24th, 2020 11:01 PM
Click here to Send StiltmanFTW a Private Message Find more posts by StiltmanFTW Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Yeah, after his battle with Kirak Infil'a, Vader's armor was wrecked, so he repaired and tweaked it himself.

At some point a second suit was created for him as well... Just in case his first suit was damaged and he needed to 'change' in the field, I guess.

Last edited by Galan007 on Jan 25th, 2020 at 02:40 AM

Old Post Jan 25th, 2020 02:35 AM
Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Eli Vanto
Tactical Prodigy

Is there anything in canon that says Vaders suit did lessen his abilities, or do all canon quotes now say that he wasn't diminished by the suit?

I ask because in Legends the suit did seem to weaken him, so this seems like a big change.

Old Post Feb 29th, 2020 07:09 PM
Click here to Send Eli Vanto a Private Message Find more posts by Eli Vanto Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zentrex
Hi!

It is a big change.

Old Post Feb 29th, 2020 07:33 PM
Click here to Send Zentrex a Private Message Find more posts by Zentrex Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zenwolf

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Eli Vanto
Is there anything in canon that says Vaders suit did lessen his abilities, or do all canon quotes now say that he wasn't diminished by the suit?

I ask because in Legends the suit did seem to weaken him, so this seems like a big change.

But it didn’t.

Old Post Feb 29th, 2020 07:47 PM
Click here to Send Zenwolf a Private Message Find more posts by Zenwolf Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

All the material I've come across does nothing but paint a picture that the suit only bolstered Vader's stats, and didn't hinder him in any way.

Here's another example from Ultimate Star Wars:
(please log in to view the image)

Old Post Mar 1st, 2020 03:09 AM
Zentrex
Hi!

See, the thing is that it was a little inconsistent in Legends. There are certain sources, like Luceno's books, which claim that the suit was uncomfortable and maybe even painful. Some say it was weak to lightning. Some claim the Emperor may have made his suit intentionally faulty with so that he couldn't overthrow him.

But other sources said that the hinderance of his powers was psychological. And the 4 Dark Horse Darth Vader comic runs proved his armor was capable of taking quite a beating, and that he wasn't useless even if it did fail him. And the Force Unleashed pretty much destroyed the argument about his suit being weak to lightning.

So really, the big change is that there are no other uber-powerful force-users there to make Vader seem like a weakling. He's one of the most powerful characters in Canon (short of the Emperor, of course), like he was always supposed to be.

Old Post Mar 1st, 2020 06:53 PM
Eli Vanto
Tactical Prodigy

Well on that note, how vulnerable is canon Vader;s suit to lightning?

Old Post Mar 1st, 2020 09:39 PM
Zentrex
Hi!

Nothing I've read implies that it's vulnerable at all, actually. He even kept going after Cylo turned the suit off.

Old Post Mar 2nd, 2020 12:30 AM
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Yeah, Vader doesn't seem particularly susceptible to lightning and whatnot in canon.

In Darth Vader #1 he soaked a lightning barrage from Palpatine and was none the worse for wear afterward. Granted Palpatine's lightning has varying levels of intensity, but still.

In Darth Vader #18 he endured a massive bolt of natural lightning on Eriadu with his armor already heavily damaged/comprised.

In Star Wars #75 he endured an EMP that was so powerful that it dropped ships out of the sky. Granted, this EMP weakened him to an extent, but he still went on to fight the heroes and ultimately tank the destruction of that world.

Last edited by Galan007 on Mar 2nd, 2020 at 01:03 AM

Old Post Mar 2nd, 2020 12:57 AM
Zentrex
Hi!

On that note, in Target Vader, Beilert Valance assumed (for some reason) that an "E.M.P. Device" would deactivate his suit. And it's implied that it would have had Valance not dropped it like a Jar Jar.

Old Post Mar 2nd, 2020 03:49 AM
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

But like you mentioned: even completely shutting down Vader's suit(like Cylo did) won't stop him.

Old Post Mar 2nd, 2020 02:53 PM