KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Did Anakin actually fulfill the prophesy?

Did Anakin actually fulfill the prophesy?
Started by: Eli Vanto

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Eli Vanto
Tactical Prodigy

Did Anakin actually fulfill the prophesy?

Given the events of the ST, did Anakin ever really fulfill the prophesy of the Chosen One and bring balance to the force?

Old Post Mar 3rd, 2020 02:09 PM
Click here to Send Eli Vanto a Private Message Find more posts by Eli Vanto Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
YousufKhan1212
Restricted

Account Restricted

He did, but apparently only temporarily, because he says "Bring back the balance , Rey, as I did" but let's not forget that he was one of the spirits of all those Jedi who empowered Rey to kill Palpatine.

Old Post Mar 3rd, 2020 02:44 PM
Click here to Send YousufKhan1212 a Private Message Find more posts by YousufKhan1212 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Total Warrior
Dark Councilor

He id, in 4 ABY. But what about the events of RoS? As Yousuf said, we could think he still played a part in it by empowering Rey

Old Post Mar 3rd, 2020 03:36 PM
Click here to Send Total Warrior a Private Message Find more posts by Total Warrior Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Yes, he temporarily fulfilled the prophesy. It was never specified how long the "balance" would last, afaik.

On that note, I never understood how destroying the Sith would balance the Force anyway..? It just tips the scales in favor of the light side -- that's not balance. Especially when the Mortis trilogy outright confirms that the light cannot exist without the dark, and vice versa. BOTH aspects are necessary in order to have true balance.

Father: "Too much dark or light would be the undoing of life as you understand it."
Son: "How simple you make it. Light and dark... As if there is one without the other."

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Last edited by Galan007 on Mar 3rd, 2020 at 03:41 PM

Old Post Mar 3rd, 2020 03:38 PM
Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
YousufKhan1212
Restricted

Account Restricted

I don't think Rey should've been the one to end Palpatine once and for all, she's not a Skywalker and not nearly as interesting as Ben, who I think should've been the one to end Palpatine once and for all because of his Skywalker blood and he's a fairly interesting character, and it would be poetic with what he said about finishing what Vader started i.e. ending Palpatine's life and destroying the Sith.

Old Post Mar 3rd, 2020 04:12 PM
Click here to Send YousufKhan1212 a Private Message Find more posts by YousufKhan1212 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Eli Vanto
Tactical Prodigy

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Galan007
Yes, he temporarily fulfilled the prophesy. It was never specified how long the "balance" would last, afaik.

On that note, I never understood how destroying the Sith would balance the Force anyway..? It just tips the scales in favor of the light side -- that's not balance. Especially when the Mortis trilogy outright confirms that the light cannot exist without the dark, and vice versa. BOTH aspects are necessary in order to have true balance.

Father: "Too much dark or light would be the undoing of life as you understand it."
Son: "How simple you make it. Light and dark... As if there is one without the other."
I think they just mean that good should prevail over evil to bring the balance back.

Old Post Mar 3rd, 2020 07:03 PM
Click here to Send Eli Vanto a Private Message Find more posts by Eli Vanto Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Eli Vanto
Tactical Prodigy

Originally posted by YousufKhan1212
I don't think Rey should've been the one to end Palpatine once and for all, she's not a Skywalker and not nearly as interesting as Ben, who I think should've been the one to end Palpatine once and for all because of his Skywalker blood and he's a fairly interesting character, and it would be poetic with what he said about finishing what Vader started i.e. ending Palpatine's life and destroying the Sith.
The way I look at it, the two Palpatines (Rey and Sidious) cancelled each other out and were both killed. It still took the Skywalker (Ben) to bring her back.

Old Post Mar 3rd, 2020 07:05 PM
Zentrex
Hi!

In Lucas' defense, maybe destroying the sith doesn't bring balance to the Force?

Maybe, just maybe, the story is that you need to balance your selflessness with your passion, and the Jedi didn't understand that (thus their misinterpretation of the prophecy) and failed, but then Luke properly balanced love and pragmatism against Yoda's altruistic teachings, and that's how he brought balance? And you could spin in some BS about Palpatine being the symbol of imbalance and Vader being the true bringer, etc.

Old Post Mar 5th, 2020 09:21 AM
Click here to Send Zentrex a Private Message Find more posts by Zentrex Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zentrex
Hi!

Originally posted by Eli Vanto
I think they just mean that good should prevail over evil to bring the balance back.
The way I look at it, the two Palpatines (Rey and Sidious) cancelled each other out and were both killed. It still took the Skywalker (Ben) to bring her back.

I really like that!

Old Post Mar 5th, 2020 09:22 AM
Click here to Send Zentrex a Private Message Find more posts by Zentrex Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ares834

Re: Did Anakin actually fulfill the prophesy?

Given the events of the ST, did Anakin ever really fulfill the prophesy of the Chosen One and bring balance to the force?

Apparently not. The ST invalidated this, just like it did everything else in the OT.

Old Post Mar 5th, 2020 09:23 AM
Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ares834

Simple. Jedi, at least as Lucas envisions it, don't use the light side but find balance. Notice how the Jedi never mention the "light side" in the Lucas movies. They are more like the Father than the Daughter or at least they should be; the Prequel era Jedi were horribly flawed and were likely straying in this regard.

Old Post Mar 5th, 2020 09:27 AM
Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Total Warrior
Dark Councilor

Yeah, maybe even the destruction of the jedi order was needed to bring balance, since, as you said, they had grown arrogant and were not true to thir original principles anymore

Old Post Mar 5th, 2020 09:34 AM
Click here to Send Total Warrior a Private Message Find more posts by Total Warrior Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Originally posted by ares834
Simple. Jedi, at least as Lucas envisions it, don't use the light side but find balance. Notice how the Jedi never mention the "light side" in the Lucas movies. They are more like the Father than the Daughter or at least they should be; the Prequel era Jedi were horribly flawed and were likely straying in this regard.
But Lucas was also the guiding hand in the Mortis trilogy, which explicitly divides the Force into light and dark aspects, and states that even too much light can cause a horrible imbalance. confused

Originally posted by Total Warrior
Yeah, maybe even the destruction of the jedi order was needed to bring balance, since, as you said, they had grown arrogant and were not true to thir original principles anymore
thumb up

The Jedi Order had become fully subservient to the political and bureaucratic nature of the Republic/Senate by the time of the PT, and had lost their way in that respect. Barriss was right.

Last edited by Galan007 on Mar 5th, 2020 at 01:52 PM

Old Post Mar 5th, 2020 01:49 PM
Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NewGuy01
perpetual

On that note, I never understood how destroying the Sith would balance the Force anyway..? It just tips the scales in favor of the light side -- that's not balance.

The Jedi were destroyed too, y'know?

Old Post Mar 5th, 2020 06:43 PM
Click here to Send NewGuy01 a Private Message Find more posts by NewGuy01 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

When?

Old Post Mar 5th, 2020 06:53 PM
ares834

But Lucas was also the guiding hand in the Mortis trilogy, which explicitly divides the Force into light and dark aspects, and states that even too much light can cause a horrible imbalance. confused

I'm not saying the light side does not exist but rather (perhaps it was Lucas's intention) that the Jedi are not light siders, instead they are "balanced" like the Father.

Old Post Mar 6th, 2020 03:37 AM
relentless1
Dark Overlord of KMC

I'm not saying the light side does not exist but rather (perhaps it was Lucas's intention) that the Jedi are not light siders, instead they are "balanced" like the Father.

the Jedi aren't the balance though, they were too rigidly right wing for a lack of a better term lol, my theory, before the ST anyways was that Luke himself was the balance; he was compassionate and caring but not possessive or overly emotional for the most part

Old Post Mar 6th, 2020 05:21 AM
Click here to Send relentless1 a Private Message Find more posts by relentless1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ares834

True. Which is why I said earlier:

They are more like the Father than the Daughter or at least they should be; the Prequel era Jedi were horribly flawed and were likely straying in this regard.

Old Post Mar 6th, 2020 06:04 AM
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Could very well be, but we've just never seen them portrayed like that. The system seems very rigid/black&white -- you either use the light side or the dark side. Not both.

Canon Luke was aware of the importance of opening yourself up to both aspects, but he was still very much part of the "light side".

The only Jedi in canon that I can think of who was truly "balanced" in such a way(aside from the mythical Prime Jedi) was Ezra -- because he was able to use both aspects of the Force, without being 'corrupted' by either facet.

Old Post Mar 6th, 2020 02:00 PM
Total Warrior
Dark Councilor

In Legends the first force users trained on Tython, where there were two moons, one engulfed in the light side, the onter in the darkness. Whenever a force user lent too much towards the dark or the light, they were sent to one of these moons in order to regain their balance. I never understood why even the Jedi were so strict about not reaching a compromise between the two side of the force, like the first Je'dai did. At least in Legends we know it can be done. Not sure about canon

Old Post Mar 6th, 2020 10:35 PM