KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » The Off-Topic Forum » Movies Today

Movies Today
Started by: Acherontia

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Koala MeatPie
Tonk's Husband

Miffed Movies Today

Today’s Movies Ruin
Our Imagination

Today’s movies are making use brain dumb. What is even more, fellow users, is that they are poorer in story quality then they used to be 40, 20 even 10 years ago.

What I am trying to say is, most of today’s movies are not as good as they should be because the producers, directors and writers focus more on the “visual” aspect of the film, rather, then say, (raise voice) actual story. They will spend millions of dollars on special effects, and the movie will still be bad. A perfect example of this is “Charlie’s Angel’s: Full throttle”. The producer’s decided to spend thousands of dollars to make Lucy Liu’s eyes bluer in every shot that her eyes where seen in. Sure the movie made a lot of money, but it was mostly of the expositions of free sex and (silly) Cameron Diaz’s fine body. The entire film lacked a decent plot.

Just like “Bad Boys 2”. A film that could have been good if it wasn’t for a Buddhist boss, random booty shots at a morgue, rats having sex and did I mention (raise voice) a decent plot? It is the “cops chase drug dealers” fiasco all over again. All the movie was is somewhat cool action scene, followed by the character’s boss telling them what they did was wrong, then, another totally unrelated action scene that involves lots of fancy special effects.

And special effects really seem to be the problem now days. They seem to ruin all imagination and creative matter that we gained in millions of years of evolution, all to lose them over fancy computer generated shapes dancing around on a giant screen. Have you ever herd of “War of the Worlds”? I am sure you did. The first time it was broadcasted on radio, people went storming out in the streets because they actually thought that aliens where landing nearby. That is an example of a good story, one that can create mass commotion. Please note, during that time there was almost no such thing as special effects, the public was not desensitised to grand explosions or star ships blasting across the galaxy.

Another story that made headlines is “Ben Hur The story of a rich Jewish man who was enslaved when his mother and sister where falsely arrested on the charges of “treason”. This movie trough you in the middle of a naval combat, all the way across the desert and into a famous chariot race. ”. It won no less then 11 academy awards, including “best picture” in 1959. Yes, 1959. They actually did film the chariot races and navel battles, and there where deaths. The last movie that I can think of that won 11 academy awards was James Cameron’s Titanic.

You might tell me, “Ah –Ha! Special effects where involved!” And Yes, I will not deny that special effects, and lots of them, where at work. But, the story was based on an actual fact, only proving my previous point that with fancy effects, your imagination goes down. This could also explain why Hollywood produces more sequels then original films these days, and why so many comic book superheroes are coming to life. Like the latest sequel I herd of, “The Return of the Mask”. This is all about a completely animated baby who has the powers of the mask, without even wearing it. At first I thought it was a joke, because the film did not even include Jim Carey, main actor of the original “The Mask” film in it!

This film is most obviously aimed at younger viewers, and I find it sad, because they are the next generation of producers, directors and writers that are being introduced to these “special effects”. The will see this as the standards in vision, and work to make bigger more spectacular explosions and car chases to please the eye, leaving the actual story falling behind.

So you see fellow users, why continue on with a trend that will lead us to bad cinema, when we can stick with the old ways that are tried and true?

Old Post Feb 25th, 2004 07:01 AM
Koala MeatPie is currently offline Click here to Send Koala MeatPie a Private Message Find more posts by Koala MeatPie Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Roulette
Freak

hmmmmmm......u make a point, movies ruin our imagination, altho, what else are we to do in our boring useless lives....

Madness, as you know, is like gravity...all it takes is a little push.

Old Post Feb 25th, 2004 07:03 AM
Roulette is currently offline Click here to Send Roulette a Private Message Find more posts by Roulette Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Koala MeatPie
Tonk's Husband

I forgot to mesntion that this is the adapted version of an english speech i FINALLY got to finsish yesterady, well, this morning at 2:00 am...

Old Post Feb 25th, 2004 10:27 PM
Koala MeatPie is currently offline Click here to Send Koala MeatPie a Private Message Find more posts by Koala MeatPie Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Strangelove
Misunderstood Genius

I try to avoid movies like that, they're not all bad.....

Old Post Feb 25th, 2004 10:29 PM
Strangelove is currently offline Click here to Send Strangelove a Private Message Find more posts by Strangelove Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote