KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » The Off-Topic Forum » Christopher Reeve dead at 52

Christopher Reeve dead at 52
Started by: TheFilmProphet

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Praylu
Exit Prophet Enter Praylu

Christopher Reeve dead at 52

'Superman' star Christopher Reeve dead at 52
Paralyzed actor was advocate for spinal cord research

Monday, October 11, 2004 Posted: 2:07 AM EDT (0607 GMT)

After a riding accident left him paralyzed, Reeve worked for spinal cord research.

BEDFORD, New York (AP) -- Christopher Reeve, the star of the "Superman" movies whose near-fatal riding accident nine years ago turned him into a worldwide advocate for spinal cord research, died Sunday of heart failure, his publicist said. He was 52.

Reeve fell into a coma Saturday after going into cardiac arrest while at his New York home, his publicist, Wesley Combs, told The Associated Press by phone from Washington, D.C., on Sunday night.

Reeve was being treated at Northern Westchester Hospital for a pressure wound that he developed, a common complication for people living with paralysis. In the past week, the wound had become severely infected, resulting in a serious systemic infection.

"On behalf of my entire family, I want to thank Northern Westchester Hospital for the excellent care they provided to my husband," Dana Reeve, Christopher's wife, said in a statement. "I also want to thank his personal staff of nurses and aides, as well as the millions of fans from around the world who have supported and loved my husband over the years."

Reeve broke his neck in May 1995 when he was thrown from his horse during an equestrian competition in Culpeper, Virginia.

Enduring months of therapy to allow him to breathe for longer and longer periods without a respirator, Reeve emerged to lobby Congress for better insurance protection against catastrophic injury and to move an Academy Award audience to tears with a call for more films about social issues.

He returned to directing, and even returned to acting in a 1998 production of "Rear Window," a modern update of the Alfred Hitchcock thriller about a man in a wheelchair who becomes convinced a neighbor has been murdered. Reeve won a Screen Actors Guild award for best actor in a television movie or miniseries.

"I was worried that only acting with my voice and my face, I might not be able to communicate effectively enough to tell the story," Reeve said. "But I was surprised to find that if I really concentrated, and just let the thoughts happen, that they would read on my face. With so many close-ups, I knew that my every thought would count."

In his public appearances, he was as handsome as ever, his blue eyes bright and his voice clear.

"Hollywood needs to do more," he said in the March 1996 Oscar awards appearance. "Let's continue to take risks. Let's tackle the issues. In many ways our film community can do it better than anyone else. There is no challenge, artistic or otherwise, that we can't meet."

In 2000, Reeve was able to move his index finger, and a specialized workout regimen has made his legs and arms stronger. He has also regained sensation in other parts of his body.

SPIDER-MAN 3 DIRECTOR'S CUT PETITION HERE

Old Post Oct 11th, 2004 06:20 AM
Praylu is currently offline Click here to Send Praylu a Private Message Find more posts by Praylu Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Praylu

please move this to Movie Stars and celebritites

Old Post Oct 11th, 2004 06:21 AM
Praylu is currently offline Click here to Send Praylu a Private Message Find more posts by Praylu Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ronny
Love is Blindness

"After coming into contact with a religious man
I always feel I must wash my hands."
-Friedrich Nietzsche

Old Post Oct 11th, 2004 06:22 AM
Ronny is currently offline Click here to Send Ronny a Private Message Find more posts by Ronny Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Koala MeatPie
Tonk's Husband

What? but.. but.. wasn't Superman Already Dead? I herd it on "Entyertainment Tonight" a couple of years ago that The First Superman, in he Black And White Movie was Shot, and Died..

But I fully know who CR is, and how he was paralyzed from falling off a horse...

Whoever, I do not see him as an icon of hope, or that you can stil accomplish things even thought you are disabled / paralyzed, because he is a Millionaire, and got better then the best treatment you can get, adn was living in total comfort and more.

Old Post Oct 11th, 2004 06:23 AM
Koala MeatPie is currently offline Click here to Send Koala MeatPie a Private Message Find more posts by Koala MeatPie Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

Old Post Oct 11th, 2004 06:37 AM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Praylu

quote:
Originally posted by BackFire
http://www.maddox.xmission.com/c.cgi?u=creeve

Thats not right mad

Old Post Oct 11th, 2004 06:39 AM
BackFire

Read it, it's good stuff.

Old Post Oct 11th, 2004 06:40 AM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ronny
Love is Blindness

"After coming into contact with a religious man
I always feel I must wash my hands."
-Friedrich Nietzsche

Old Post Oct 11th, 2004 06:42 AM
Ronny is currently offline Click here to Send Ronny a Private Message Find more posts by Ronny Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Koala MeatPie
Tonk's Husband

What!? you mean I missed an Article he has written!?

Old Post Oct 11th, 2004 06:43 AM
Koala MeatPie is currently offline Click here to Send Koala MeatPie a Private Message Find more posts by Koala MeatPie Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Praylu

quote:
Read it, it's good stuff.

What the fuc* is your problem. mad

Old Post Oct 11th, 2004 06:43 AM
BackFire

Oh shit, well excuse me all to hell for posting a link.

So the guy was crippled. Who cares? Doens't make his death any more tragic than anyone elses.

It sucks he died, I wish he didn't, but I'm not going to act as if his death is more tragic then one of the thousands of children who surely died today in car accidents, murder, drownings ect.

Again, read the article, it's funny and informative.

Old Post Oct 11th, 2004 06:45 AM
Praylu

quote:
Oh shit, well excuse me all to hell for posting a link.

So the guy was crippled. Who cares? Doens't make his death any more tragic than anyone elses.

It sucks he died, I wish he didn't, but I'm not going to act as if his death is more tragic then one of the thousands of children who surely died today in car accidents, murder, drownings ect.

The point is insulting and making fun of a paralysed man is bad enough but a DEAD MAN now thats just plain fuc*ed up!! mad

Old Post Oct 11th, 2004 06:46 AM
Koala MeatPie
Tonk's Husband

Movie Star Are Over Rated, getting Payed Millions to act pretty, Actors Should all die... even thought I wanted to be an actor...

Old Post Oct 11th, 2004 06:47 AM
BackFire

That article was written over a year ago, before he was dead.

Again, read the ****ing article before passing judgement on it. It makes valid points.

Just because a guy is crippled doesn't mean he's above criticism.

Old Post Oct 11th, 2004 06:48 AM
Koala MeatPie
Tonk's Husband

quote:
Originally posted by TheFilmProphet
The point is insulting and making fun of a paralysed man is bad enough but a DEAD MAN now thats just plain fuc*ed up!! mad

Lets Dig up Hitler's GRave and Urinate on his dead roten corps!

Old Post Oct 11th, 2004 06:48 AM
Praylu

quote:
That article was written over a year ago, before he was dead.

Again, read the ****ing article before passing judgement on it. It makes valid points.

Just because a guy is crippled doesn't mean he's above criticism.

Fine the article is old. But why discuss this hours after the man just died?

Old Post Oct 11th, 2004 06:49 AM
BackFire

Because it relates to the topic of discussion and people should realize he wasn't the great wonderful guy that he's painted as.

Old Post Oct 11th, 2004 06:51 AM
Praylu

quote:
Because it relates to the topic of discussion and people should realize he wasn't the great wonderful guy that he's painted as.

Whether you hate him or like him its just not right to do this now after he died or at least not hours after he did.

Old Post Oct 11th, 2004 06:53 AM
misha

how many times do we have to read this

Old Post Oct 11th, 2004 06:55 AM
misha is currently offline Click here to Send misha a Private Message Find more posts by misha Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Koala MeatPie
Tonk's Husband

I don't know.. you decied, you can Either Read it or not.

Old Post Oct 11th, 2004 06:57 AM