KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » The Off-Topic Forum » Useless information

Useless information
Started by: ash007

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
ash007
Strength and Honour

Useless information

Astound your friends with your utterly useless knowledge.

Donald Duck Comics were banned in Finland because he doesn't wear any pants.

E.T. dolls were forbidden in France because there is a law against selling dolls without human faces.

It's illegal to name a pig Napolean in France.

Spaghetti means "strangled priests".

In 1977, a 13 year-old boy discovered a tooth growing out of his left foot.

There was a Persian King who had 4 000 wives. When he died (from syphilis) he confessed to only loving the first 700.

There was a Liberian general who would lead his army into battle naked. His name was General Buck (hence the term, "buck naked").

The shortest war in history took place in 1896 when Zanzibar surrendered to Britain after 38 minutes.

During the Victorian era in the U.S., the word "legs" was considered inappropriate, and also the word "bull" was briefly changed to "gentleman cow".

Rocky is the shortest film title ever to win the Academy Award for Best Picture.

Christopher Walken was George Lucas' first choice for the role of Han Solo.

Boris Karloff was born with the name William Henry Pratt.

Little Shop of Horrors was filmed in two days.

Pepsi was originally marketed under the name Brad's Drink.

Coca Cola was originally green.

Caesar salad is named for it's creator, Caesar Cardini.

The second longest word in the English Language is "antidisestablishmentarianism". The longest is "pneumoultrasilicovolcanoconiosis".

In Shakespeare's time, the letter "k" was pronounced in such words as "knight", "knife", and "knot".

Shakespeare often spelled his name "Shakespare", and sometime called himself "Shakestaff".

At any given moment, at least 20 000 people in North America are singing.

Goldfish have a memory span of 3 seconds.

Dragonflies have a life span of 24 hours.

"Underground" is the only word in the English language to begin and end with the letters "und".

"Strengths" is the longest word containing only one vowel.

"Screeched" is the longest English word with only one syllable.

No words rhyme with "dreamt", "orange", or "month".

On average, Americans eat 18 acres of pizza every day.

45% of Americans don't know the sun is a star.

The electric chair was invented by a dentist.

A duck's quack doesn't echo, and no one knows why.

Butterflies taste with there feet.

Originally, the butterfly was called the flutterby.

A snail can sleep for up to three years.

During hibernation, bears can sleep through childbirth.

Alfred Hitchcock had a fear of driving.

Samuel Johnson, who wrote the world's first dictionary, is also credited with writing the world's longest palindrome.

Adolf Hitler was a vegetarian.

Both Hitler and Napolean had one testicle.

There were 14 Hitlers in the New York phone book before World War II, and none after.

Honey doesn't spoil.

During the middle-ages, the rich had stone floors, while the poor had dirt floors (hence the term "dirt poor").

^^^ Stone floors would get slippery during the winter, so thresh was spread along the floor for traction. Because the floors got so slippery, a wooden plank would be placed in every doorway, and it was called a "thresh-hold".

During the Middle-ages, most people got married in June, because it had only been a month since their annual bath, and they were still smelling pretty good (relatively speaking). Even so, brides carried boquets of flowers to mask the odour.

During the Middle-ages, tomatoes were considered poisonous. The reason was that many people had plates made out of pewter, and the citric acid in the tomatoes caused lead to leech into the food.

Rome was the first city to reach a population of 1 000 000.

If you multiply 111 111 111 by 111 111 111, you get 123456787654321.

If you have 3 quarters, four dimes, and four pennies, you have $1.19. This is the largest amount of money you can have without being able to make change for a dollar.

Women blink nearly twice as much as men.

"Typewriter" is the longest word that can be typed using the top row of the keyboard.

Egyptian priests plucked EVERY hair from their bodies.

Malaria was originally thought to be caused by stale air (it means "bad air"). The cure was to place vases of flowers next to your bed, unfortunately mosquitoes laid their eggs in the water and the disease spread worse than ever.

The most common disease in the world is tooth decay.

For centuries barbers served not only to cut hair, but also to give you a bloodletting, for the puncturing of a vein was thought to be the cure for many diseases (the reason for the red on the barber pole).

Isaac Asimov is the only author to have a book in every dewey decimal category.

Apple pie was invented by a Canadian.

The top of the Empire State Building was supposed to be used to dock airships. That idea fell apart after Hindenburg.

One last thing. One of those facts I made up. Can you figure out which one?

smokin'

With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.These words were uttered by Judge Aaron Satie -- as awisdom, and warning. The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged.

"One ought never to turn one's back on a threatened danger and try to run away from it. If you do that, you will double the danger. But if you meet it promptly and without flinching, you will reduce the danger by half.-----Sir Winston Churchill

Old Post Mar 8th, 2004 06:42 PM
ash007 is currently offline Click here to Send ash007 a Private Message Find more posts by ash007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Linkalicious
Iran...I Walked...I Jihad

that's classic ash...well done!

Old Post Mar 8th, 2004 06:51 PM
Linkalicious is currently offline Click here to Send Linkalicious a Private Message Find more posts by Linkalicious Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BingaBonga
**-Away-**

Yay! another one of these! Let me go get my useless fact book.

Do you know what a blue moon actually is? - Hopefully you don't. The moon's day and revolution are the same, at 28.4 earth days. Every few years there is two full moons in one month. The second of the two is called a blue moon.

◦•~The KMC Sisterhood~•◦

Old Post Mar 8th, 2004 06:54 PM
BingaBonga is currently offline Click here to Send BingaBonga a Private Message Find more posts by BingaBonga Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BingaBonga
**-Away-**

And ash, to extend the honey fact. Honey is the ONLY food that doesn't spoil. In Egypt, they found honey in the tombs, and it was still edible. yes

◦•~The KMC Sisterhood~•◦

Old Post Mar 8th, 2004 06:56 PM
BingaBonga is currently offline Click here to Send BingaBonga a Private Message Find more posts by BingaBonga Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ash007
Strength and Honour

cool mmmmmmmmm Honey

With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.These words were uttered by Judge Aaron Satie -- as awisdom, and warning. The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged.

"One ought never to turn one's back on a threatened danger and try to run away from it. If you do that, you will double the danger. But if you meet it promptly and without flinching, you will reduce the danger by half.-----Sir Winston Churchill

Old Post Mar 8th, 2004 06:57 PM
ash007 is currently offline Click here to Send ash007 a Private Message Find more posts by ash007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BingaBonga
**-Away-**

You burn 3 1/2 calories everytime you laugh

I believe that it's illegal for frogs to croak after 11 PM in Memphis, Tennessee

◦•~The KMC Sisterhood~•◦

Old Post Mar 8th, 2004 06:59 PM
pixie1

quote:
Originally posted by BingaBonga
You burn 3 1/2 calories everytime you laugh

I believe that it's illegal for frogs to croak after 11 PM in Memphis, Tennessee

did anyone tell the frogs? big grin

I've got a pal, she's called Pixie,From Birmingham where they're all trixxy, ((fun))She thinks she can't spell,
I say "What the hell?"Doesn't matter because she's damn sexy!!
By syren Happy Dance

Old Post Mar 9th, 2004 11:19 AM
pixie1 is currently offline Click here to Send pixie1 a Private Message Find more posts by pixie1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cruel jedi
A PrOpHeT oF tHe DaRkSiDe

i dont think anyone did lol

<<<Scatter Senbonzakura>>>

Old Post Mar 9th, 2004 11:47 AM
cruel jedi is currently offline Click here to Send cruel jedi a Private Message Find more posts by cruel jedi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
eleveninches
God of my own world

On average, Americans eat 18 acres of pizza every day

Dont you mean that is the TOTAL amount they eat every day, not the AVERAGE.

Old Post Mar 9th, 2004 03:55 PM
eleveninches is currently offline Click here to Send eleveninches a Private Message Find more posts by eleveninches Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Krabs55

whats the one you made up...tell us tell us please!!!!!!!!!! ???

Old Post Mar 9th, 2004 04:05 PM
Krabs55 is currently offline Click here to Send Krabs55 a Private Message Find more posts by Krabs55 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BingaBonga
**-Away-**

Annually, you swallow 5 spiders in your sleep sick

◦•~The KMC Sisterhood~•◦

Old Post Mar 9th, 2004 04:34 PM
eleveninches
God of my own world

/\ eewwwwwwwww

I sleep with my mouth closed from now on

Old Post Mar 9th, 2004 04:37 PM
eleveninches is currently offline Click here to Send eleveninches a Private Message Find more posts by eleveninches Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Deathblow
-

i dont like sushi

Old Post Mar 9th, 2004 04:40 PM
Deathblow is currently offline Click here to Send Deathblow a Private Message Find more posts by Deathblow Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BingaBonga
**-Away-**

Re: Useless information

quote:
Originally posted by ash007
Both Hitler and Napolean had one testicle.

Sorry, I just now read all of your useless facts, but EW!! How did you find that out? Wait... I don't want to know. confused

◦•~The KMC Sisterhood~•◦

Old Post Mar 9th, 2004 04:41 PM
The Force
Holy Hypocrits!

a ducks quack does echo, the mythbusters proved it big grin

and that's the one you made up stick out tongue

Made by the awesome transforming Hegemon
Don't mess with The Force, because I ownz you. -The Force

Crazy Christian all over your candy arse.

Old Post Mar 9th, 2004 06:52 PM
The Force is currently offline Click here to Send The Force a Private Message Find more posts by The Force Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Just as a fanboy note...

"Christopher Walken was George Lucas' first choice for the role of Han Solo."

... is debatable.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Mar 9th, 2004 07:01 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Linkalicious

Christopher Walken is God! he doesn't need to stoop down to Star War's level.

Old Post Mar 9th, 2004 07:01 PM
Linkalicious is currently offline Click here to Send Linkalicious a Private Message Find more posts by Linkalicious Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Force
Holy Hypocrits!

who's christopher walken? embarrasment

Made by the awesome transforming Hegemon
Don't mess with The Force, because I ownz you. -The Force

Crazy Christian all over your candy arse.

Old Post Mar 9th, 2004 07:11 PM
The Force is currently offline Click here to Send The Force a Private Message Find more posts by The Force Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Linkalicious

This is him on Saturday Night Live

(please log in to view the image)

Old Post Mar 9th, 2004 07:16 PM
Linkalicious

and this is him in his finest non-speaking roll....from the Fat Boy Slims video
(please log in to view the image)

Old Post Mar 9th, 2004 07:17 PM