KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » The Off-Topic Forum » Searching for WWI Soldier

Searching for WWI Soldier
Started by: @F1

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
@F1
Tomato Crisps

Searching for WWI Soldier

I have an old WW1 British Medal, on the rim it says it belongs to a PTE W A Leaper it has a number, which is G 66790. Does anyone know of away too do a search for this person. I was going to auction it on Ebay, and give the money too charity. But I think it belongs to his family, as he defended our Country.

Old Post Jun 12th, 2005 05:31 PM
@F1 is currently offline Click here to Send @F1 a Private Message Find more posts by @F1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jaden101
Restricted

Account Restricted

do you know what particular medal it is?

check here and then search for the people who were awarded the specific medal

http://www.anzacday.org.au/educatio...eneral/ww1.html

You come at the King, you best not miss!

Old Post Jun 12th, 2005 05:32 PM
jaden101 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden101 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden101 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ms Chelle
ubuntu

quote: (post)
Originally posted by @F1
I have an old WW1 British Medal, on the rim it says it belongs to a PTE W A Leaper it has a number, which is G 66790. Does anyone know of away too do a search for this person. I was going to auction it on Ebay, and give the money too charity. But I think it belongs to his family, as he defended our Country.
if you were here Id tell you to contact your local VFW(Vetrans of Foriegn Wars) but I dnt know what its called in the UK

made by Scribble

Old Post Jun 12th, 2005 05:34 PM
Ms Chelle is currently offline Click here to Send Ms Chelle a Private Message Find more posts by Ms Chelle Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jaden101
Restricted

Account Restricted

Old Post Jun 12th, 2005 05:56 PM
jaden101 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden101 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden101 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
eggmayo

quote: (post)
Originally posted by jaden101
here is another link

http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/war/ww...chives_01.shtml

That's only war graves though.

Old Post Jun 12th, 2005 05:59 PM
eggmayo is currently offline Click here to Send eggmayo a Private Message Find more posts by eggmayo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jaden101
Restricted

Account Restricted

its not though...it gives link and advice on researching the medal rolls as well as links to other sites

Old Post Jun 12th, 2005 06:03 PM
@F1
Tomato Crisps

This one:

(please log in to view the image)

The British War Medal 1914-20

Last edited by @F1 on Jun 12th, 2005 at 06:08 PM

Old Post Jun 12th, 2005 06:05 PM
@F1 is currently offline Click here to Send @F1 a Private Message Find more posts by @F1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jaden101
Restricted

Account Restricted

not good for narrowing down your search as the BWM was given to everyone who served for more than 28 days between 1914 and 1918 or who were killed before their 28 days were up...as well as mine clearers for a further 2 years after the war

making the total number of BWM given out at about 6 million

Old Post Jun 12th, 2005 06:12 PM
@F1
Tomato Crisps

I didn't know they actualy, replicate these medals including the soldiers details. This may be a copy but, it looks quite old and worn.

I found the medal I have here:

http://www.documentsonline.national...t_date=19491231

Old Post Jun 12th, 2005 06:30 PM
REXXXX
Networking

Good luck with that. messed

It'll take awhile.

Also, try searching for a list of those who were awarded the medal.

Old Post Jun 12th, 2005 08:37 PM
REXXXX is currently offline Click here to Send REXXXX a Private Message Find more posts by REXXXX Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jaden101
Restricted

Account Restricted

its a very nice gesture to make...i applaud you for taking the time to try and return the medal to the family... most people would take the easy route and flog it

i have some ww1 artifacts myself which include an old ration box still with cigarretes and chocolate inside it...thankfully i know who the owner of it was...my great grand father...i also have his medals as well

Old Post Jun 12th, 2005 10:49 PM
@F1
Tomato Crisps

On a quiz show in United Kingdom. This man was asked,'when did The Great War end', he said '1948'. Shame on him, and he was like, 30 or 40. All those people who fought and lost there lives, all he had to do was remember a date in History. no

Old Post Jun 13th, 2005 09:13 AM