KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » The Off-Topic Forum » Should I fire this guy because he bought his degree from the internet?

Should I fire this guy because he bought his degree from the internet?
Started by: Digital Zombie

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Digital Zombie

Should I fire this guy because he bought his degree from the internet?

Hey guys, long time member with a new account here.

A couple years ago I hired a guy named Thomas as a senior tech for a small airport I run in California. He always seemed like a pretty competent worker. Thomas had great personal skills, came into work on-time, and pretty much completed projects better than any of the other techs in our facility. He seemed like a pretty intelligent guy, actually. I’ve even had dinner with his wife and young daughter on occasion. I generally consider him a friend.

The other day I invited him to my house to hang out and have a few drinks. At one point in the evening we were shooting the shit and talking about the worst things we’ve ever done in our lives. I regaled him with a tale about how I stole expensive clothes from department stores as a teenager and he told me about how he once sent explicit pictures of his cheating ex-girlfriend sodomizing a toothbrush to her parents. I laughed and passed him another drink.

I guess he was getting a little too tipsy because a little later he related a story about how he got his college degree in philosophy. We don’t require college degrees, but we generally hire and give greater pay to candidates with the degree over the candidate without one. Thomas said that he bought it off the internet for $450 from some website called www diplomaforge dot com and listed it on the resume he sent my secretary. I’ve heard this website discussed on these forums a few days ago. Apparently they represent universities who grant degrees based on “work history” and “life experience.” Now I don’t know what to do. Company policy is to terminate people who lie on their resumes, but he doesn’t seem like that bad of a guy. The website he got his degree from looks like what they’re doing is pretty unethical since there’s no coursework involved. But I guess the degree is technically legal. Should I fire him because he bought his degree from the internet instead of attending a regular university?

What he did was pretty crooked. I think I might decide to fire him over this. If you were his employer what would you do?

Comedy addendum: what is the most hysterical way of firing someone?

Old Post Jan 14th, 2006 06:24 PM
Digital Zombie is currently offline Click here to Send Digital Zombie a Private Message Find more posts by Digital Zombie Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NinthCorona

New account? Why a new account? messed

Anyways, don't fire him. He seems to be pretty useful for your company.

Denial isn't just a river in Egypt.

Old Post Jan 14th, 2006 06:26 PM
NinthCorona is currently offline Click here to Send NinthCorona a Private Message Find more posts by NinthCorona Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bloigen
Restricted

Account Restricted

I fire loads of people over the smallest things. So yeah.

[SPOILER - highlight to read]: You were adopted.

Old Post Jan 14th, 2006 06:27 PM
Bloigen is currently offline Click here to Send Bloigen a Private Message Find more posts by Bloigen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

Easy thing. Ask yourself: "Is the Airport better off without hi?" ...if the answer is no...keep him. It#s not aboot what one has done in their past but what he is doing now.

Old Post Jan 14th, 2006 06:29 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Syren
dreaming

Don't fire him. Although education counts for a lot, I personally think experience and competence is more beneficial to the workplace. I got great grades and was employed by a solicitors' having just left school, but they had to let me go because I was young and inexperienced in most other ways.

He lied on his resume, so what? He's more than made up for it by being a reliable worker and you like him, you trust him. Screw company poilicy, surely this guy is exempt by now?

ThorinWoofer

Old Post Jan 14th, 2006 06:30 PM
Syren is currently offline Click here to Send Syren a Private Message Find more posts by Syren Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bloigen
Restricted

Account Restricted

FIRE HIM!

Old Post Jan 14th, 2006 06:35 PM
Bloigen is currently offline Click here to Send Bloigen a Private Message Find more posts by Bloigen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Syren
dreaming

Shut it Bloigen.

Digital Zombie, perhaps this thread would have been better opened in the GDF.

ThorinWoofer

Old Post Jan 14th, 2006 06:36 PM
Syren is currently offline Click here to Send Syren a Private Message Find more posts by Syren Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Grand-Moff-Gav

Fire Him then ruin his life!

Old Post Jan 14th, 2006 06:37 PM
Grand-Moff-Gav is currently offline Click here to Send Grand-Moff-Gav a Private Message Find more posts by Grand-Moff-Gav Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
bloodboy
Restricted

Account Restricted

fire him

Old Post Jan 14th, 2006 06:37 PM
bloodboy is currently offline Click here to Send bloodboy a Private Message Find more posts by bloodboy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Storm
Black belt BJJ

I wouldn' t fire him.

And wondering whether this is a test or not.

Ceterum censeo OTF esse delendam.

I am not driven by people’ s praise and I am not slowed down by people’ s criticism.
You only live once. But if you live it right, once is enough. Wrong. We only die once, we live every day!
Make poverty history.

Old Post Jan 14th, 2006 06:40 PM
Storm is currently offline Click here to Send Storm a Private Message Find more posts by Storm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
GCG
Red Bull

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Syren
Don't fire him. Although education counts for a lot, I personally think experience and competence is more beneficial to the workplace. I got great grades and was employed by a solicitors' having just left school, but they had to let me go because I was young and inexperienced in most other ways.

He lied on his resume, so what? He's more than made up for it by being a reliable worker and you like him, you trust him. Screw company poilicy, surely this guy is exempt by now?

What Syren said ; Do Not Fire Him.

Deferrals get you nowhere - Just Do It.........Or Ineptitude will consume your life like a Cancer

GCG is currently offline Click here to Send GCG a Private Message Find more posts by GCG Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

Shut it Bloigen.

Digital Zombie, perhaps this thread would have been better opened in the GDF.

Exactly my thoughts....but oh well...now the OTF got it...it'S lost. Don't fire him though....lying, also not the best way to start a working relation, is in no way as bad as losing a useful worker.

Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bloigen
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Grand Moff Gav
Fire Him then ruin his life!

Originally posted by bloodboys2blueb
fire him

yes

Old Post Jan 14th, 2006 06:42 PM
Syren
dreaming

roll eyes (sarcastic)

Ignore all of the 'Fire him' comments in this thread DZ.

ThorinWoofer

Old Post Jan 14th, 2006 06:43 PM
T.M
Welcome to The Suck

If he stated it on his resume then he didn't lie.

Now if you decide to fire him he will say that you knew he bought it all along and still hired him.

So I think and I am not certain on this but he has done nothing wrong. Firing him could therefore lead to him suing the company for wrongful dismissal.

Old Post Jan 14th, 2006 06:44 PM
T.M is currently offline Click here to Send T.M a Private Message Find more posts by T.M Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

roll eyes (sarcastic)

Ignore all of the 'Fire him' comments in this thread DZ.

Some people....although being sexy (Bloigen), are jsut not realistic on the Internet.

Old Post Jan 14th, 2006 06:44 PM
Syren
dreaming

He didn't, T.M... he claimed the qualification was genuine and then admitted it wasn't when slightly inebriated at DZ's {his boss} house.

ThorinWoofer

Old Post Jan 14th, 2006 06:45 PM
Bardock42

Originally posted by T.M
If he stated it on his resume then he didn't lie.

Now if you decide to fire him he will say that you knew he bought it all along and still hired him.

So I think and I am not certain on this but he has done nothing wrong. Firing him could therefore lead to him suing the company for wrongful dismissal.

Oh that too....if he mentioned it on the Application.

Old Post Jan 14th, 2006 06:45 PM
Bloigen
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Bardock42
Some people....although being sexy (Bloigen), are jsut not realistic on the Internet.

laughing out loud

Old Post Jan 14th, 2006 06:49 PM
Storm
Black belt BJJ

Originally posted by §cooter
New account? Why a new account? messed

He' s not a long time member.

Ceterum censeo OTF esse delendam.

I am not driven by people’ s praise and I am not slowed down by people’ s criticism.
You only live once. But if you live it right, once is enough. Wrong. We only die once, we live every day!
Make poverty history.

Old Post Jan 14th, 2006 06:49 PM
Storm is currently offline Click here to Send Storm a Private Message Find more posts by Storm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote