KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » The Off-Topic Forum » Tips on getting rid of junk mail and telemarketers!!

Tips on getting rid of junk mail and telemarketers!!
Started by: =Tired Hiker=

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Tired-Hiker
El Bastardo

Tips on getting rid of junk mail and telemarketers!!

Here some info that was forwarded to me regarding Andy Rooney's ideas.

Tips for Handling Telemarketers

Three Little Words That Work!!

(1)The three little words are: 'Hold On, Please...'

Saying this, while putting down your phone and walking off (instead of hanging-up immediately) would make each telemarketing call so much more time-consuming that boiler room sales would grind to a halt.

Then when you eventually hear the phone company's 'beep-beep-beep' tone, you know it's time to go back and hang up your handset, which has efficiently completed its task.

These three little words will help eliminate telephone soliciting.

(2) Do you ever get those annoying phone calls with no one on the other end?
This is a telemarketing technique where a machine makes phone calls and records the time of day when a person answers the phone.

This technique is used to determine the best time of day for a 'real'sales person to call back and get someone at home.

What you can do after answering, if you notice there is no one there, is to immediately start hitting your # button on the phone, 6 or 7 times, as quickly as possible. This confuses the machine that dialed the call and it kicks your number out of their system. Gosh, what a shame not to have your name in their system any longer!!!

(3) Junk Mail Help:
When you get 'ads' enclosed with your phone or utility bill, return these 'ads' with your payment. Let the sending companies throw their own junk mail away.

When you get those 'pre-approved' letters in the mail for everything from credit cards to 2nd mortgages and similar type junk, do not throw away the return envelope.

Most of these come with postage-paid return envelopes, right? It costs them more than the regular 50 cents postage 'IF' and when they receive them back.

It costs them nothing if you throw them away! The postage was around 50 cents before the last increase and it is according to the weight. In that case, why not get rid of some of your other junk mail and put it in these cool little, postage-paid return envelopes.

One of Andy Rooney's (60 minutes) ideas.
Send an ad for your local chimney cleaner to American Express. Send a pizza coupon to Citibank. If you didn't get anything else that day, then just send them their blank application back!
If you want to remain anonymous, just make sure your name isn't on anything you send them.

You can even send the envelope back empty if you want to just to keep them guessing! It still costs them 50 cents.

The banks and credit card companies are currently getting a lot of their own junk back in the mail, but folks, we need to OVERWHELM them. Let's let them know what it's like to get lots of junk mail, and best of all, they're paying for it...Twice!

Let's help keep our postal service busy since they are saying that e-mail is cutting into their business profits, and that's why they need to increase postage costs again. You get the idea !

If enough people follow these tips, it will work ---- I have been doing this for years, and I get very little junk mail anymore.

THIS JUST MIGHT BE ONE E-MAIL THAT YOU WILL WANT TO FORWARD TO YOUR FRIENDS

Old Post Apr 3rd, 2008 05:54 PM
Tired-Hiker is currently offline Click here to Send Tired-Hiker a Private Message Find more posts by Tired-Hiker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mairuzu
Old School Cool

k

TGFwashere

Old Post Apr 3rd, 2008 05:56 PM
Mairuzu is currently offline Click here to Send Mairuzu a Private Message Find more posts by Mairuzu Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Moosey
Gone

Re: Tips on getting rid of junk mail and telemarketers!!

quote: (post)
Originally posted by =Tired Hiker=

Saying this, while putting down your phone and walking off (instead of hanging-up immediately) would make each telemarketing call so much more time-consuming that boiler room sales would grind to a halt.

Then when you eventually hear the phone company's 'beep-beep-beep' tone, you know it's time to go back and hang up your handset, which has efficiently completed its task.

This is a telemarketing technique where a machine makes phone calls and records the time of day when a person answers the phone.

This technique is used to determine the best time of day for a 'real'sales person to call back and get someone at home.

What you can do after answering, if you notice there is no one there, is to immediately start hitting your # button on the phone, 6 or 7 times, as quickly as possible. This confuses the machine that dialed the call and it kicks your number out of their system. Gosh, what a shame not to have your name in their system any longer!!!

(3) Junk Mail Help:
When you get 'ads' enclosed with your phone or utility bill, return these 'ads' with your payment. Let the sending companies throw their own junk mail away.

When you get those 'pre-approved' letters in the mail for everything from credit cards to 2nd mortgages and similar type junk, do not throw away the return envelope.

Most of these come with postage-paid return envelopes, right? It costs them more than the regular 50 cents postage 'IF' and when they receive them back.

It costs them nothing if you throw them away! The postage was around 50 cents before the last increase and it is according to the weight. In that case, why not get rid of some of your other junk mail and put it in these cool little, postage-paid return envelopes.

Send an ad for your local chimney cleaner to American Express. Send a pizza coupon to Citibank. If you didn't get anything else that day, then just send them their blank application back!
If you want to remain anonymous, just make sure your name isn't on anything you send them.

You can even send the envelope back empty if you want to just to keep them guessing! It still costs them 50 cents.

The banks and credit card companies are currently getting a lot of their own junk back in the mail, but folks, we need to OVERWHELM them. Let's let them know what it's like to get lots of junk mail, and best of all, they're paying for it...Twice!

Let's help keep our postal service busy since they are saying that e-mail is cutting into their business profits, and that's why they need to increase postage costs again. You get the idea !

If enough people follow these tips, it will work ---- I have been doing this for years, and I get very little junk mail anymore.

I like # 3.

Honestly. It's cool.

956,000: Moosey

Old Post Apr 3rd, 2008 05:58 PM
Moosey is currently offline Click here to Send Moosey a Private Message Find more posts by Moosey Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tired-Hiker
El Bastardo

Number 3 is dope. It could give a dog a bone.

Old Post Apr 3rd, 2008 05:59 PM
Tired-Hiker is currently offline Click here to Send Tired-Hiker a Private Message Find more posts by Tired-Hiker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dave_97
Party Dave

Stabilize your rear deflectors... Watch for enemy fighters.

Lazers_go_pew_pew_pew

Old Post Apr 3rd, 2008 06:00 PM
Dave_97 is currently offline Click here to Send Dave_97 a Private Message Find more posts by Dave_97 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Moosey
Gone

Number 3 is dope. It could give a dog a bone.

I just said that very thing to a co-worker.

956,000: Moosey

Old Post Apr 3rd, 2008 06:00 PM
Moosey is currently offline Click here to Send Moosey a Private Message Find more posts by Moosey Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
McLovin
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by kodak
Stabilize your rear deflectors... Watch for enemy fighters.

Red 5, where are you?

Old Post Apr 3rd, 2008 06:14 PM
McLovin is currently offline Click here to Send McLovin a Private Message Find more posts by McLovin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Piggle Humsy
Wiggle4life

Excellent

..T H I N K I N G.. ..B E E A N.

Old Post Apr 3rd, 2008 06:51 PM
Piggle Humsy is currently offline Click here to Send Piggle Humsy a Private Message Find more posts by Piggle Humsy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

Great ideas.

Originally posted by Piggle Humsy
Excellent

I liked the concept of Hell Girl...because I like revenge, but the show got boring to me. Does it get any better? In other words...is there actually a story OTHER than just over and over another revenge story?

Old Post Apr 3rd, 2008 07:32 PM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Neo Darkhalen
Mission zero

Interesting and amusing.

Old Post Apr 3rd, 2008 08:08 PM
Neo Darkhalen is currently offline Click here to Send Neo Darkhalen a Private Message Find more posts by Neo Darkhalen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Piggle Humsy
Wiggle4life

Originally posted by dadudemon
Great ideas.

I liked the concept of Hell Girl...because I like revenge, but the show got boring to me. Does it get any better? In other words...is there actually a story OTHER than just over and over another revenge story?

Haven't got a clue.. I assume you mean my av.. I just searched hell and found a suitable icon for my sig.. had no idea what it was from.

..T H I N K I N G.. ..B E E A N.

Old Post Apr 3rd, 2008 08:23 PM
Piggle Humsy is currently offline Click here to Send Piggle Humsy a Private Message Find more posts by Piggle Humsy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
RogerRamjet
Playground Superstar

come on, Piggle Humsy! it's time to give up!

Sig by Scy!

Old Post Apr 3rd, 2008 08:24 PM
RogerRamjet is currently offline Click here to Send RogerRamjet a Private Message Find more posts by RogerRamjet Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
gefallen_engel
Beautiful Disaster

that list is extremely funny, I am gonna stsrt doing that stuff!!

Ohne dich kann ich nicht sein, ohne dich. Ohne dich zähl ich die Stunden ohne dich. Lohnen nicht.

Old Post Apr 3rd, 2008 09:44 PM
gefallen_engel is currently offline Click here to Send gefallen_engel a Private Message Find more posts by gefallen_engel Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ms Chelle
ubuntu

When telemarketers would call me, I just started giving the phone to my niece who was 2 at the time.

#3 is the best.

made by Scribble

Old Post Apr 3rd, 2008 10:30 PM
Ms Chelle is currently offline Click here to Send Ms Chelle a Private Message Find more posts by Ms Chelle Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Schecter
Restricted

Account Restricted

"Sell crazy someplace else. We're all stocked up here."

Old Post Apr 3rd, 2008 10:41 PM
Schecter is currently offline Click here to Send Schecter a Private Message Find more posts by Schecter Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
gefallen_engel
Beautiful Disaster

I told a telemarketer that I was dead before

Ohne dich kann ich nicht sein, ohne dich. Ohne dich zähl ich die Stunden ohne dich. Lohnen nicht.

Old Post Apr 3rd, 2008 10:43 PM
gefallen_engel is currently offline Click here to Send gefallen_engel a Private Message Find more posts by gefallen_engel Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Black Yoshi
The Best Yoshi

Re: Tips on getting rid of junk mail and telemarketers!!

(3) Junk Mail Help:

I do tip #1 all the time.

Old Post Apr 3rd, 2008 11:19 PM
Black Yoshi is currently offline Click here to Send Black Yoshi a Private Message Find more posts by Black Yoshi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Neo Darkhalen
Mission zero

Just tell them they will die in 7 days...

Old Post Apr 3rd, 2008 11:21 PM
Neo Darkhalen is currently offline Click here to Send Neo Darkhalen a Private Message Find more posts by Neo Darkhalen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
gefallen_engel
Beautiful Disaster

laughing

Old Post Apr 3rd, 2008 11:22 PM
Drach1936
Restricted

Account Restricted

Thanks for thus wonderful information.

Old Post Apr 30th, 2020 09:14 AM
Drach1936 is currently offline Click here to Send Drach1936 a Private Message Find more posts by Drach1936 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote