KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » Movie Stars & Celebrities » Rodney Dangerfield Dies At Age 82

Rodney Dangerfield Dies At Age 82
Started by: TheFilmProphet

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Praylu
Exit Prophet Enter Praylu

Rodney Dangerfield Dies At Age 82

Comic Rodney Dangerfield dies in L.A. at age 82

By Steve Gorman

LOS ANGELES(Reuters) - Rodney Dangerfield, the goggle-eyed comic famed for his self-deprecating one-liners and signature phrase "I can't get no respect," died Tuesday at age 82, his spokesman said.

Dangerfield, who became a pop culture sensation in middle age with a string of broad film comedies starting with "Caddyshack" in 1980, died at the UCLA Medical Center, where he had undergone heart valve replacement surgery on Aug. 25, spokesman Kevin Sasaki said.

Dangerfield, whose initial forays into show business ended in failure, restarted his career as a comedian in his 40s. He went on to become a national sensation in his own right and helped launch the careers of such comics as Jim Carrey and Jerry Seinfeld.

Dangerfield suffered a stroke following the surgery in August and "developed infectious and abdominal complications from which he did not recover," Sasaki said.

During the past week, the entertainer emerged from a coma he had slipped into sometime after the operation, according to his wife, Joan. "When Rodney emerged, he kissed me, squeezed my hand, and smiled for the doctors," Joan Dangerfield said in a statement.

A native of New York's Long Island, Dangerfield had endured a series of health problems in recent years. Last spring, he underwent brain surgery.

A month later, Dangerfield greeted reporters at the hospital dressed in a sports shirt and Bermuda shorts and declared, "My brain is OK. I feel like a new man." Later, responding to a medical question, he answered, "Ask me about things I'm familiar with, like drugs or prostitution."

SPIDER-MAN 3 DIRECTOR'S CUT PETITION HERE

Old Post Oct 6th, 2004 04:13 AM
Praylu is currently offline Click here to Send Praylu a Private Message Find more posts by Praylu Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ladygrim
The Grim piratess

sad

Old Post Oct 6th, 2004 02:25 PM
ladygrim is currently offline Click here to Send ladygrim a Private Message Find more posts by ladygrim Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kella
I hit an armadillo, hard.

Goodbye Rodney....I loved you man. You got my respect...

These books own me. Fer reals.

Old Post Oct 6th, 2004 05:28 PM
Kella is currently offline Click here to Send Kella a Private Message Find more posts by Kella Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
badsymbiote
AMERICA EATS ITS YOUNG

So sad. That guy was truly a comedic pioneer.
My boss and I are fans of his, and we were both apprehensive about the surgery which seemed ok at first--then we didn't hear anything else about it, so we figured no news was good news--then 2 weeks ago, his wife acknowledged the coma, but she seemed so optimistic.

Old Post Oct 7th, 2004 01:18 AM
badsymbiote is currently offline Click here to Send badsymbiote a Private Message Find more posts by badsymbiote Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
slayer
Horror Fan

R.I.P Rodney.

Old Post Oct 7th, 2004 09:07 AM
slayer is currently offline Click here to Send slayer a Private Message Find more posts by slayer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Praylu
Exit Prophet Enter Praylu

I didn't expect this to happen now. sad

SPIDER-MAN 3 DIRECTOR'S CUT PETITION HERE

Old Post Oct 8th, 2004 11:53 PM
Praylu is currently offline Click here to Send Praylu a Private Message Find more posts by Praylu Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote