KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » Movie Stars & Celebrities » Christopher Reeve Dead At 52

Christopher Reeve Dead At 52
Started by: TheFilmProphet

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Praylu
Exit Prophet Enter Praylu

Christopher Reeve Dead At 52

Christopher Reeve dead at 52

'Superman' star Christopher Reeve dead at 52
Paralyzed actor was advocate for spinal cord research

Monday, October 11, 2004 Posted: 2:07 AM EDT (0607 GMT)

After a riding accident left him paralyzed, Reeve worked for spinal cord research.

BEDFORD, New York (AP) -- Christopher Reeve, the star of the "Superman" movies whose near-fatal riding accident nine years ago turned him into a worldwide advocate for spinal cord research, died Sunday of heart failure, his publicist said. He was 52.

Reeve fell into a coma Saturday after going into cardiac arrest while at his New York home, his publicist, Wesley Combs, told The Associated Press by phone from Washington, D.C., on Sunday night.

Reeve was being treated at Northern Westchester Hospital for a pressure wound that he developed, a common complication for people living with paralysis. In the past week, the wound had become severely infected, resulting in a serious systemic infection.

"On behalf of my entire family, I want to thank Northern Westchester Hospital for the excellent care they provided to my husband," Dana Reeve, Christopher's wife, said in a statement. "I also want to thank his personal staff of nurses and aides, as well as the millions of fans from around the world who have supported and loved my husband over the years."

Reeve broke his neck in May 1995 when he was thrown from his horse during an equestrian competition in Culpeper, Virginia.

Enduring months of therapy to allow him to breathe for longer and longer periods without a respirator, Reeve emerged to lobby Congress for better insurance protection against catastrophic injury and to move an Academy Award audience to tears with a call for more films about social issues.

He returned to directing, and even returned to acting in a 1998 production of "Rear Window," a modern update of the Alfred Hitchcock thriller about a man in a wheelchair who becomes convinced a neighbor has been murdered. Reeve won a Screen Actors Guild award for best actor in a television movie or miniseries.

"I was worried that only acting with my voice and my face, I might not be able to communicate effectively enough to tell the story," Reeve said. "But I was surprised to find that if I really concentrated, and just let the thoughts happen, that they would read on my face. With so many close-ups, I knew that my every thought would count."

In his public appearances, he was as handsome as ever, his blue eyes bright and his voice clear.

"Hollywood needs to do more," he said in the March 1996 Oscar awards appearance. "Let's continue to take risks. Let's tackle the issues. In many ways our film community can do it better than anyone else. There is no challenge, artistic or otherwise, that we can't meet."

In 2000, Reeve was able to move his index finger, and a specialized workout regimen has made his legs and arms stronger. He has also regained sensation in other parts of his body.

SPIDER-MAN 3 DIRECTOR'S CUT PETITION HERE

Old Post Oct 11th, 2004 07:04 AM
Praylu is currently offline Click here to Send Praylu a Private Message Find more posts by Praylu Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Praylu

I accidentally made a thread about this in the off-topic forum so I decided to make it again where I meant to make it in the first place.

Old Post Oct 11th, 2004 07:07 AM
Praylu is currently offline Click here to Send Praylu a Private Message Find more posts by Praylu Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
slayer
Horror Fan

May he Rest in peace.

Who was a courageous fighter, and outstanding actor.

May he experience a positive passing into the other world.

Include a flower in your msn name to remember him.

Old Post Oct 11th, 2004 07:14 AM
slayer is currently offline Click here to Send slayer a Private Message Find more posts by slayer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Praylu

(please log in to view the image)

Old Post Oct 11th, 2004 07:15 AM
Praylu

Old Post Oct 11th, 2004 07:15 AM
Praylu

quote:
Originally posted by slayer
May he Rest in peace.

Who was a courageous fighter, and outstanding actor.

May he experience a positive passing into the other world.

Include a flower in your msn name to remember him.

Nice words. If you visit this thread http://www.killermovies.com/forums/f61/t310466.html you will probably be very angry at these pople for what they said, I know I was.

Old Post Oct 11th, 2004 07:18 AM
Emma718
posthuman

gosh..i can't believe he died

Old Post Oct 11th, 2004 07:25 AM
Emma718 is currently offline Click here to Send Emma718 a Private Message Find more posts by Emma718 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Praylu

yeah me either. This is a sad day.

Old Post Oct 11th, 2004 07:44 AM
Praylu

Old Post Oct 11th, 2004 08:15 AM
D-Double
.. and some junk

Ah man, I thought he was going to hold on a little longer. Hearing the news about him moving his fingers a while ago made me real happy for him. I hope he didn't suffer. My hat goes off to Christopher Reeve. My heart goes out to his family and the millions of us fans who grew up watching him save the world. Rest in peace, my friend.

"What a brilliant future we could have. And, there will be peace. There will be peace when the people of the world want it so bad that their governments will have no choice but to give it to them....I just wish you could see earth like I see it. Because when you think about it, it's really just one world."
-Superman

Oh Sweat!

Old Post Oct 11th, 2004 08:24 AM
D-Double is currently offline Click here to Send D-Double a Private Message Find more posts by D-Double Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Praylu

I'm sure I and all others appreciate your comforting words. I had hoped so much that he would live at least a few more years. We just lost Rodney Dangerfield and now Christopher. This is truly a sad day for us all.

Old Post Oct 11th, 2004 08:28 AM
Praylu

Christopher Reeve dies
By Lech Mintowt-Czyz, Evening Standard
11 October 2004

Actor Christopher Reeve has died, it was announced today.

He died in hospital yesterday from heart failure without regaining consciousness. He was 52.

His wife Dana paid tribute to medical staff and to the "millions of fans from around the world" who had sent him messages of support since his accident.

Reeve in his most famous role

The couple have an 11-year-old son Will. Reeve had two children from a previous marriage, Matthew, 25, and 21-year-old Alexandra.

Reeve broke his neck when he fell from his horse and landed on his head during a cross-country race nine years ago. A desperate medical effort saved his life but doctors told him he would never walk again. He became a campaigner for spinal cord research.

In a statement today Mrs Reeve said: "On behalf of my entire family, I want to thank Northern Westchester Hospital for the excellent care they provided to my husband."

Reeve was being treated at the hospital for a pressure wound, a common complication for people living with paralysis.

In the past week the wound had caused a serious systemic infection. His heart failure is understood to have been a direct result of the infection.

Before his riding accident, Reeve played the piano to professional standard, had done many of his own film stunts, was an expert sailor and skier and had twice flown solo across the Atlantic. After the accident he considered suicide but instead emerged determined to prove the medical experts wrong.

Reeve threw himself into fundraising to highlight the need for more medical research. In 1996 he made an emotional appeal during an appearance at the Oscars.

He returned to films as a director and in 1998 made a comeback to acting as a wheelchair-bound man in a remake of the Hitchcock film Rear Window.

In 2000, Reeve revealed that he had been able to move his index finger.

He told how he had been lying in bed with his wife when he suddenly realised he could feel her touch.

By 2002, Reeve's doctors said he was able to move some of his fingers and toes. The star could also feel a pin prick over most of his body.

At the time, doctors said the progress indicated that he might one day be able to walk again. In an interview at the time, Reeve said the greatest thing was being able to feel the hugs of his wife and three children. Reeve also headed the Christopher Reeve Paralysis Foundation which offered annual grants of £10million to scientists.

Professor Colin Blakemore, chief executive of the Medical Research Council, said: "Christopher Reeve was known to all of us for his campaigning and for his courage. He was a remarkable man.

"It is absolutely wrong to raise false expectations about the speed with which medical research progresses, but it takes people like Reeve, with their commitment and their certainty that they will be cured, to carry it forward.

"He always said that he was working for himself and was convinced that there would be a cure, but I think probably deep in his mind he knew his efforts would be far more likely to pay off for others than for him."

Film critic Derek Malcolm said: " He was undoubtedly a world star, because he did four Superman films, not just one and they were extremely successful. He was an extremely well educated man. He really wanted to do something for others and he wanted to do something for himself, too."

Old Post Oct 11th, 2004 08:37 AM
KillTheLight
=bound by wild desire=

awwww that is pretty tragic news.I seriously cant believe he's dead. I used to love the superman movies when i was really young.

This afternoon with you was something like a letter
The kind that someone writes but never sends

Old Post Oct 11th, 2004 10:20 AM
KillTheLight is currently offline Click here to Send KillTheLight a Private Message Find more posts by KillTheLight Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kella
I hit an armadillo, hard.

Goodbye Superman....we love you.

These books own me. Fer reals.

Old Post Oct 11th, 2004 10:37 AM
Kella is currently offline Click here to Send Kella a Private Message Find more posts by Kella Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Cory Chaos
AmStar 14 Manager

Not going to get all sappy, as he honestly wasn't much of an actor, just a memorable one for a memorable role. Nonetheless, he's one of my favorites, and I've got fond memories of Halloween 1983 when I went out as the Man of Steel.

"Well, so long,Frisky" - Superman (1978) wink

Old Post Oct 11th, 2004 02:35 PM
Cory Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Cory Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Cory Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kelly_Bean
Warum ist die Sonne rund?

anyone have a pic? I have no idea who the heck he is.

Old Post Oct 11th, 2004 02:41 PM
Kelly_Bean is currently offline Click here to Send Kelly_Bean a Private Message Find more posts by Kelly_Bean Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Praylu

quote:
Originally posted by KillTheLight
I seriously cant believe he's dead.

Me either. He was truly a legend, hero, and a role model.

Old Post Oct 11th, 2004 09:19 PM
Praylu

Words by Senator John Kerry (Presidential Candidate) on what has happened.

Kerry Comments

``We lost a man who was truly America's hero,'' Kerry said today in a statement. ``He was an inspiration to all of us and gave hope to millions of Americans who are counting on the life- saving cures that science and research can provide.''

``He met every challenge with a courage and character that broke new ground in this struggle,'' Kerry said. ``Because he had the strength to carry this cause, I know one day that we will realize that inevitable dream.''

In 2002, Reeve helped set up the Christopher & Dana Reeve Paralysis Resource Center in New Jersey to help provide information for paralyzed people and those caring for them.

``I'm heartbroken that he will not have the opportunity to benefit from some of the therapies he pushed so hard for,'' Dr. Wise Young of Rutgers University, a spinal-cord researcher who treated Reeve, said in an interview with Cable News Network. ``He was first and foremost an advocate for hope and a cure for spinal- cord injury.''

Also:

In last week's debate against President George W. Bush, Democratic presidential nominee John Kerry cited Reeve as a supporter of controversial stem-cell research.

Old Post Oct 11th, 2004 09:53 PM
KillTheLight
=bound by wild desire=

quote:
Originally posted by TheFilmProphet
I'm heartbroken that he will not have the opportunity to benefit from some of the therapies he pushed so hard for

sad

This afternoon with you was something like a letter
The kind that someone writes but never sends

Old Post Oct 11th, 2004 11:48 PM
KillTheLight is currently offline Click here to Send KillTheLight a Private Message Find more posts by KillTheLight Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Praylu

ABC 20/20 Tribute to Christopher Reeve Tonight!
Source: ABC
October 11, 2004

ABC has announced it will be showing a special 20/20 tribute to the one and only Superman, Christopher Reeve, tonight:

Barbara Walters hosts a special 20/20 tribute to Christopher Reeve, featuring some of the most memorable moments from Walters' interviews with Reeve and his incredible legacy. The special airs tonight at 8 p.m. ET and following Monday Night Football on the West Coast.

Don't miss this special look at one of the most incredible persons to have ever lived.

Old Post Oct 12th, 2004 12:16 AM