KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » Movie Stars & Celebrities » RIP Annette Funicello

RIP Annette Funicello
Started by: siriuswriter

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
siriuswriter

RIP Annette Funicello

Actress Annette Funicello died Monday after a long battle with multiple sclerosis. She was 70.

Funicello got her start in showbiz at the age of 12 as one of the original Mouseketeers on Disney’s “The Mickey Mouse Club.” She went on to co-star with Frankie Avalon in a series of popular 1950′s and 1960′s teen beach movies, such as “Beach Blanket Bingo.”

Funicello announced publicly she had MS in 1992; she was first diagnosed with the disease in 1987. She lost her ability to walk in 2004 and her ability to speak in 2009, and had been in a coma when she passed away, according to “Extra.”

The Walt Disney Co. confirmed Funicello’s death Monday in a statement:

“Actress Annette Funicello, long-time Disney and Beach Party star, passed away on Monday April 8 at Mercy Southwest Hospital in Bakersfield, CA, at the age of 70. She died peacefully from complications due to Multiple Sclerosis, a disease she battled for over 25 years. Beloved by television viewers in the 50s for her stint on Disney’s original The Mickey Mouse Club, and by film buffs for her numerous roles in a series of popular teen-oriented movies in the 60s, Funicello became a pop culture icon.”

I don't know about anyone else, but "Babes in Toyland" was a definite childhood dream movie for me. [Even with all the sexism, which of course I didn't care about until I was old enough to know what sexism was.] So sad to hear about her having MS and losing things over the years.

RIP

It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Old Post Apr 8th, 2013 09:26 PM
siriuswriter is currently offline Click here to Send siriuswriter a Private Message Find more posts by siriuswriter Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Perceiver1

Re: RIP Annette Funicello

quote: (post)
Originally posted by siriuswriter
Actress Annette Funicello died Monday after a long battle with multiple sclerosis. She was 70.

Funicello got her start in showbiz at the age of 12 as one of the original Mouseketeers on Disney’s “The Mickey Mouse Club.” She went on to co-star with Frankie Avalon in a series of popular 1950′s and 1960′s teen beach movies, such as “Beach Blanket Bingo.”

Funicello announced publicly she had MS in 1992; she was first diagnosed with the disease in 1987. She lost her ability to walk in 2004 and her ability to speak in 2009, and had been in a coma when she passed away, according to “Extra.”

The Walt Disney Co. confirmed Funicello’s death Monday in a statement:

“Actress Annette Funicello, long-time Disney and Beach Party star, passed away on Monday April 8 at Mercy Southwest Hospital in Bakersfield, CA, at the age of 70. She died peacefully from complications due to Multiple Sclerosis, a disease she battled for over 25 years. Beloved by television viewers in the 50s for her stint on Disney’s original The Mickey Mouse Club, and by film buffs for her numerous roles in a series of popular teen-oriented movies in the 60s, Funicello became a pop culture icon.”

I don't know about anyone else, but "Babes in Toyland" was a definite childhood dream movie for me. [Even with all the sexism, which of course I didn't care about until I was old enough to know what sexism was.] So sad to hear about her having MS and losing things over the years.

RIP

R.I.P

Tribute pics!

(please log in to view the image)

Old Post Apr 10th, 2013 01:14 AM
Perceiver1 is currently offline Click here to Send Perceiver1 a Private Message Find more posts by Perceiver1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote